Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thought I Wanted An Atlas Hyperion But

GunBugBit

...I decided I want the option to shoot major or minor with the same gun.  So I just ordered an Atlas Nemesis in .40 S&W.  I'll shoot this gun with minor loads for Steel Challenge and certain practice/fun matches, and of course major for USPSA Limited.

Now the wait begins.

Just got a call from Atlas.  They asked me if I'm sure I don't want a tactical rail, because if I'll accept a gun with a tactical rail, they have one near completion that meets all of my other specs that will be available in three weeks.  So I said yes, I'll take the tactical rail.

4 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

Just got a call from Atlas.  They asked me if I'm sure I don't want a tactical rail, because if I'll accept a gun with a tactical rail, they have one near completion that meets all of my other specs that will be available in three weeks.  So I said yes, I'll take the tactical rail.

Do you ever buy lottery tickets for friends ... or just strangers you meet online?

On 2/27/2022 at 7:19 PM, japarker82 said:

Did you look at the Phoenix Trinity Honcho??

I did a bit of research into the Phoenix Trinity Honcho - visited their web site, watched some YouTube videos.  Fascinating and impressive innovation!

The Race Ready model looks very compelling.

28 minutes ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

Yea that locking block design they came up with is pretty trick. 

Yes indeed, very interesting.  I watched a YouTube video of an open shooter whose locking block cracked in the middle of a USPSA stage.  Phoenix Trinity fixed it, for no cost I imagine.  This wouldn’t keep me from buying one.  Things can break even on the best made pistols.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 10:10 PM, GunBugBit said:

Yes indeed, very interesting.  I watched a YouTube video of an open shooter whose locking block cracked in the middle of a USPSA stage.  Phoenix Trinity fixed it, for no cost I imagine.  This wouldn’t keep me from buying one.  Things can break even on the best made pistols.

I have heard of the blocks breaking on a few but overall those guns and the value they bring are fantastic!

If you are going to shoot both Major and Minor 40 loads I have heard people having good luck with keeping the powder drop the same for their 180gr Major load but simply using a 155gr instead. Less fiddling needed when reloading for each. Just use a different weight bullet.

14 hours ago, dansedgli said:

I know a guy that has broken 3 locking blocks at my club in the last 12 months or so. Warranty would mean s#!t if it broke on a 32 round course at the nationals. 

Lies

19 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

If you are going to shoot both Major and Minor 40 loads I have heard people having good luck with keeping the powder drop the same for their 180gr Major load but simply using a 155gr instead. Less fiddling needed when reloading for each. Just use a different weight bullet.

I'll definitely give that a try, thanks Charlie.👍

15 hours ago, MVPFc said:

Lies

Not lies.

It's in Australia if that helps identify it? There aren't that many around. He might be on his third and broken 2. I don't pay that much attention. 

Edited by dansedgli

8 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Not lies.

It's in Australia if that helps identify it? There aren't that many around. He might be on his third and broken 2. I don't pay that much attention. 

There is one there that it took some time for the owner to actually watch the oiling video instead of just pouring oil on the slide. Lack of oil on the locking block is the only way to break one. It’s a friction system, like an engine, it needs oil.

28 minutes ago, MVPFc said:

There is one there that it took some time for the owner to actually watch the oiling video instead of just pouring oil on the slide. Lack of oil on the locking block is the only way to break one. It’s a friction system, like an engine, it needs oil.

They literally tell you to drench it and to the point of dripping.