Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun (retention) holster for railed 5" 2011 with optic

davsco

Hi i have the safariland als holster (with hood) for my iron-sighted 2011 but i want to try a 2011 with a slide-mounted optic.  The hood won't go over it, so guess i need something that has a thumb release that keys on the trigger guard.  Not looking for an "open" holster.  Any ideas, thanks?

I have been down this rabbit hole, but I was looking for a GLS for my 2011.  I think that SafariLand makes a holster that will work for you.  Go to YouTube and in the search enter SafariLand 2011 holster.  There is a couple of videos that may help you find what you are looking for.  108 Performance video specifically.  Sean Burrows also has a video on this topic but for an Atlas Hyperion 2011.

Maybe check out the 6390 or 6360.  You may want to call SafariLand before ordering to make sure.

One Note: on the 108 Performance YouTube video for 2011 holsters he mentioned that X5 Holsters were compatible with 2011s.  I did not find this to be true.  The trigger guard is too short to reach the locking mechanism where the trigger guard on the X5 grip modules is longer.

Hope this gives you a starting place.

5 hours ago, davsco said:

safariland's site

Is garbage. 

I was looking forever to find a holster for my X5 in the GLS version. The web site said the same thing. No holster match. Little did I know the GLS holster I had purchased for my 5.25” XDM worked perfect.  I just need to make a small adjustment on the locking device. I do not know anything about STIs and Safariland or the difference between STI Tactical and their Staccato line dimension wise, but the 108 Performance video is talking about Stacatto pistols and finding a Safariland holster for it. 

3 hours ago, tt350z said:

Maybe this?

https://hammerarmament.com/product/thunder-3-gun/

I use one with my Zev OZ9 with a slide ride SRO. Love the fit and finish.

that actually looks like the ticket, thanks!  i just emailed them to be sure their 5" sti tactical model will fit the mpa ds9 i have on order.

from what i saw on safariland's website they say they don't fit 5" sti tactical with optic.

secondary question - how many run lights on their 3gun handguns (tlr-1, x-300 etc) and how do lights affect holstering and draw?  does the light create more to hang up on or is it a non-issue?

on a side note, hammer got back to me almost immediately while safariland and weber did not.

17 minutes ago, davsco said:

secondary question - how many run lights on their 3gun handguns (tlr-1, x-300 etc) and how do lights affect holstering and draw?  does the light create more to hang up on or is it a non-issue?

on a side note, hammer got back to me almost immediately while safariland and weber did not.

I run a TLR-1 on my OZ9 for USPSA carry optics. I’ve personally never been hung up on a draw or holstering because of it, even when using the thumb release.

gnSU8rDl.jpg

3iMZReZl.jpg

I run a Safariland 7TS ALS holster on my battle belt for my P320 with light and optic, and it does not slow my draw after about 30 minutes of dry fire once I first received it.  The light or the optic does not hinder the draw at all. 

I did find that with the Weber which is similar to the Hammer holster in design that the operating mechanism to unlatch the holster is not as intuitive as the ALS or GLS system.  It took me a lot longer to become proficient using dry fire, and I found I would still miss the thumb lever from time to time.  I do not have experience running a light with the weber holster or the hammer, but I imagine they are not using the light for retention with those holster as they are a level 2 retention holster with the strap.  Might be worth calling whoever you decide to go with to make sure that is the case.  

Edited by Boomstick303

• 4 weeks later...

i got the Hammer Thunder 3 Gun holster in the other day.  I gotta say i was pretty impressed with it when i opened the box, looks sturdy etc.  Tried a few draws with my STI Tactical 4" & Vortex Viper (the holster is made for the 5" MPA i have on order) it worked pretty good though a little sensitive to draw angle (side to side cant) but i can loosen it up more as the hood is the primary retention, not friction.

I fashioned my own drop and offset using a bladetech doh piece and some spacers i had laying around, but may go back and get Hammer's doh as it looks like it allows for more drop.  def need to get the left-sided thumb actuator away from my body (and belt, holster mount, etc).

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, valerko said:

I have GLS holster that fit my 2011 , had to do a little dremel work for optic , but works great 

Would you happen to have which GLS model worked.  I have one for my 2011, but I had to trim the retention lever a lot to make it work.  Was hoping there was a model I did not have to do this.

10 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Would you happen to have which GLS model worked.  I have one for my 2011, but I had to trim the retention lever a lot to make it work.  Was hoping there was a model I did not have to do this.

Wish I knew , but it's same model that fits my Grand Power Xcalibur 

Hope that helps

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Here are a couple of options for a 2011 holster:

The Prodigy version should fit just about any 2011 and the Staccato with x300 light should fit just about any 2011 with this light.

Good Luck and Be Safe!!!

😎

Edited by szhttm