Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy weight Zev OZ9

D_B_X

On 6/17/2022 at 9:20 PM, D_B_X said:

An update -- in case some are interested.

My tungsten grip module broke. See photos.

I discovered this during a dry fire practice at home. It must have happened during a live fire practice the weekend before. (Luckily it didn't break then, as the idea of the upper flying back at me isn't entertaining.)

I have shot about 3,000 rounds. All 115 gr., a mixture of 9mm minor reloads and factory 9mm. It saw one local USPSA match. And all other live fires were in an indoor range. It has been in and out of holster many times during dry fire practice. It was never dropped.

The grip module is now back at Zev. They said they will replace it once the new ones come out in the fall.

I do not know if it is a manufacturing issue or design issue. 

Zev_tungsten1.jpeg

Zev_tungsten2.jpeg

Zev_tungsten3.jpeg

That is really concerning that it broke like that from that little use. Making reevaluate this or going to the dark side and getting a 320 Legion

16 hours ago, horhey232 said:

That is really concerning that it broke like that from that little use. Making reevaluate this or going to the dark side and getting a 320 Legion

I find myself debating the same thing. I know it's not the gun, but damn that 320 Max is a great offering outta the box!

I did get tired of waiting for the tungsten grip and picked up an AXG Pro to try out. Ergos and lack of recoil is nice on the AXG. I prefer how the OZ9 cycles and dot recovers even if there’s more felt recoil. Accuracy is much better on the OZ9 then my AXG. The Timney’s trigger is better than the AXG with the AC trigger, +10% trigger return spring, and tactical trigger sear control spring.

I deviated to X5 Legion for a while. Was actually my second P320, from an X5 Full before that. But my accuracy in that rig (the Legion)  just wasn't anywhere close to my Oz9 or any of my Glock platforms, much less my 2011s and Shadow2. Especially with 147s which is my common load for all my 9mms.  It was better in 124s. I'd do some reading around here on the P320s accuracy before you make the jump. It's the first time I ever really ran into a 'this thing just won't group' with a modern gun, and its not an uncommon occurrence. Now my buddies ran okay. Not a tack driver, but good enough. I think it's sloppy lock up and and kind of luck on the draw from rig to rig. And with the X5 Legion at the time I was a little limited on what could be done about it, because of the uniqueness of the 5" bull barrel that wasn't common to the rest of the p320 line. I think now there may be a few more aftermarket barrels. 

Glad to hear they're going to replace it -and have another run of them in the fall. I really liked the weight of the tungsten in my Legion, and would like it in the Zev. Coming from steel framed fatties, it's always been a comfort having the heavier gun in my hands. I can run the plastics, but I still miss the weight. But couldn't find any of the Zev tungs frames.

On 8/13/2022 at 1:17 PM, OptimiStick said:

I deviated to X5 Legion for a while. Was actually my second P320, from an X5 Full before that. But my accuracy in that rig (the Legion)  just wasn't anywhere close to my Oz9 or any of my Glock platforms, much less my 2011s and Shadow2. Especially with 147s which is my common load for all my 9mms.  It was better in 124s. I'd do some reading around here on the P320s accuracy before you make the jump. It's the first time I ever really ran into a 'this thing just won't group' with a modern gun, and its not an uncommon occurrence. Now my buddies ran okay. Not a tack driver, but good enough. I think it's sloppy lock up and and kind of luck on the draw from rig to rig. And with the X5 Legion at the time I was a little limited on what could be done about it, because of the uniqueness of the 5" bull barrel that wasn't common to the rest of the p320 line. I think now there may be a few more aftermarket barrels. 

Glad to hear they're going to replace it -and have another run of them in the fall. I really liked the weight of the tungsten in my Legion, and would like it in the Zev. Coming from steel framed fatties, it's always been a comfort having the heavier gun in my hands. I can run the plastics, but I still miss the weight. But couldn't find any of the Zev tungs frames.

My buddy who switched to a X5 Legion is having similar issues. Stuck slides with live rounds in the tube when he shoots 147s. It worked a little better with 124 but he is not getting the accuracy he desires. He is telling me the recoil impulse is fantastic but still not getting the desired results that are even close to similar to his Glock 17.

Made me loose some faith in it and I might be back on the Glock train. I am still considering piecing together a OZ9. I love the modular frame but I do not really care for the frills. I would probably buy a frame and transfer some relatively stock Glock 34 components on it.

10 hours ago, horhey232 said:

My buddy who switched to a X5 Legion is having similar issues. Stuck slides with live rounds in the tube when he shoots 147s. It worked a little better with 124 but he is not getting the accuracy he desires. He is telling me the recoil impulse is fantastic but still not getting the desired results that are even close to similar to his Glock 17.

Made me loose some faith in it and I might be back on the Glock train. I am still considering piecing together a OZ9. I love the modular frame but I do not really care for the frills. I would probably buy a frame and transfer some relatively stock Glock 34 components on it.

I didn't have any stuck slide, or really any issues at all - it ran like a top. Loved the feel and recoil was easy. Surprisingly so for what seems to be a pretty high bore axis. Just the dang accuracy. Like I said with some 124s I ran for testing, it cleaned up and was 'good nuff' for what i do, but i'm too lazy to run a second batch to accommodate one gun. So she reluctantly went to a new home. I do like the OZ9 better than my other Glocks - that frame is neat. I agree on some of the un-needed Gucci items - and especially the cost. But it's my favorite Glock gaming platform. Triggers not bad , but I threw a Timney on it. Optic mounting is fantastic. Of course my SR0 on it just died a couple of nights ago with just a few thou rounds on it, so back it goes.  

On 6/17/2022 at 6:20 PM, D_B_X said:

They said they will replace it once the new ones come out in the fall.

Glad to hear there's an expected time frame.  I called Zev a couple times without any luck getting an ETA and even offered to help with the production. 

I've won 3 local matches in a row with my fairly new OZ9 Elite and can't wait to make it a bit heavier. 

Edited by telligentgunner

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, mule169 said:

Is there an additional time frame on these tungsten grips?

Talked to them last week after I bought an OZ9 Compact with an older extractor. They said that now it's either the beginning of 2023 or not at all since they are having issues with the supplier/manufacturer of the grip.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/2/2023 at 8:30 PM, Bostenelli said:

Any update from Zev?

The fact that they have just released their OZ9 V2 would lead me to believe that hasn't gotten much time from them. I would assume the grip modules would be interchangeable between the V1 and V2 models, so maybe it is still coming. But I would bet that it hasn't been at the forefront of their efforts for quite some time. 

• 2 weeks later...

They are coming. My understanding is they changed vendors and may have updated the mold. The project took a lot longer than expected from what I hear. 

Seems like signing up for their email list is the way to go for updates/announcements on limited stuff like this.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/2/2023 at 9:06 PM, Bostenelli said:

They have aluminum grips w tungsten rods. Anyone buy one?

?  I don't see that on their website.....