Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Lock-n-Load bushings

Sometimes when I remove the dies from my Lock-n-Load, the die unscrews leaving the bushing stuck in the press.

Is there any easy way to get the bushing out? I used channel locks, but they leave marks on the bushings. Thanks.

I'm not sure what nuts you're using, but I had a lot of trouble with this until I switched to the Hornady lock nuts. I had a lot of the Dillon nuts which are really small.

The Hornady nuts are well machined and have a large area to grip / lock onto the bushing.

I do have to say that the whole bushing thing isn't the great idea that thought it would be. Just machining a couple of flats on the bushings would make things a lot easier.

the bushings work great depending on what you are doing.  I load 12 different 38/357 bullets so being able to change the seating die easy was what I was looking for.  Round count on my LNL is 100,548 and I have few problems.

9 hours ago, Graham said:

I do have to say that the whole bushing thing isn't the great idea that thought it would be.

Could you elaborate? I've loaded on Dillon progressives for 20+ years but now find myself wanting to swap calibers on a more regular basis. With Dillons, swapping calibers can take a bit of time and parts. Many will just buy another press if they only reloaded, say, 9 and 45. That's what I did. Now I'm looking at relatively low volume (compared to gamer quantities) 9, 45LC, 38sp, and probably others. LNL sounds like the ticket.

I like the bushings, but I setup my press right and have the lock nuts on the dies set tight enough that the die won't back out from the bashing. Swapping things around is fast and easy. Sounds like you need to fix your setup

Try using Hornady Sure-Loc-Rings.  They don't slip & you won't bugger up your die threads with set screws.

1.  Set you die.

2.  Tighten nut to bushing.

3.  Tighten split ring cross screw. 

On 1/7/2022 at 7:49 AM, lgh said:
On 1/6/2022 at 10:18 PM, Graham said:

I do have to say that the whole bushing thing isn't the great idea that thought it would be.

Could you elaborate?

As Sig and Broadside have mentioned, using Hornady nuts & rings is the way to go. It's just that I've found that making adjustments is a pain. Expect to fiddle with them a while during initial adjustment. Then lock them down tight.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:49 AM, lgh said:

Could you elaborate? I've loaded on Dillon progressives for 20+ years but now find myself wanting to swap calibers on a more regular basis. With Dillons, swapping calibers can take a bit of time and parts. Many will just buy another press if they only reloaded, say, 9 and 45. That's what I did. Now I'm looking at relatively low volume (compared to gamer quantities) 9, 45LC, 38sp, and probably others. LNL sounds like the ticket.

I saw that Armanov is producing a 1050/1100 tool head that takes LnL bushings. Don't know if they have anything for 550/650/etc...

That may save you buying another press.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:49 AM, lgh said:

That's one of the reasons I sold my 550.  Complete tools heads started costing a small fortune.