Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taking a stock glock and building it for the Tactical Games

Davecambell

What should I do to make a stock glock 19 into a reliable combat competition pistol with the only limitation being no electronic sights.

Backstory 
I am an experienced shooter but I have never competed. I have deployed twice to Afghanistan and am only concerned with real world shooting applications. My wife on the other hand just started competing in the Tactical Games, which consist of CrossFit and shooting. Her fitness level is tier one but her pistol shooting is not(rifle is fine). I am debating building her 19 or getting her a Staccato. Right now we are in the works of building a house and would rather not drop 3+ grand on a pistol. What should I do to her 19 to make her as competitive as possible. No electric sight is the only limitation.

On my 34s, I added tungsten guide rod, KKM stainless barrel, Apex extractor, Tungsten grip plug, grip tape, Dawson fiber optic adjustable sights, Lone Wolf locking block and an after market competition trigger. Vanek, Johnny Glock and Timney are all good choices. Hope this helps. 

If you had the choice of buying a second Glock, perhaps a full size G17 or 34 would work better. One of our club shooters used his Glock 19 for a similar reason but as we watched him become more confident, he was trying to shoot faster but missing targets completely. We suggested that he try a full size Glock. He bought a Glock 34 and his skill level increased greatly. However, if you want to build up the G19, a spring kit, 3.5 lb connector and some night sights should work. I like the Warren Tacticals on my Glocks.

9 hours ago, dapribek said:

On my 34s, I added tungsten guide rod, KKM stainless barrel, Apex extractor, Tungsten grip plug, grip tape, Dawson fiber optic adjustable sights, Lone Wolf locking block and an after market competition trigger. Vanek, Johnny Glock and Timney are all good choices. Hope this helps. 

Perfect. What does the aftermarjet locking block achieve? Thanks Dapri

The G19 is a fine pistol but for competition, the G34 with it's longer sight radius is better suited.

I think replacing the trigger with a competition type trigger like the Timney will give you the biggest bang for your buck. That and new sights.

Timney trigger, sights of choice, mag extensions of choice. If you want you can add a tungsten guide rod and look to pack the grip cavity with tungsten weights as well. It'll likely add 4-5 oz which will help some and not be overly heavy to carry.

I shoot a skirmish each month with top 10 men and women from the nationals last week. Half shoot staccato and half shoot glock. I shoot a glock 17. From my experience having sights, trigger and grip sorted are all that is needed. The shooting challenges favor accuracy more than speed, you're smoked physically so things need to be a s simple as possible. 

I'd say a 17 or 34 with grip tape of your choice, sights that work perfectly for her eyes, and the trigger she can manipulate better than stock. And all w no worry about reliability. 

Yeah we have at the place I go people who were top 10 elite and intermediate, both male and female. I do just for a change of pace compared to uspsa. Compared to the speed we shoot uspsa classifiers I just don't see that happening enough at TTG type stuff to warrant a tungsten guide rod. Your woman likely already has excellent grip strength so I'm sure she is getting a sight picture that returns quickly and consistently.

To me, and my experience is only w locals, I built my g17 for accuracy, reliability and to work for me when sweaty and my breathing out of control. Great sights, grip and trigger. Nothing really modded to it to speed things up or make it weigh more. Which are the uspsa mods we often put a lot of emphasis on.

Have I seen some pretty tricked out guns? Totally! But that just now how I would build one out in this instance. The gun spends more time on my hip than in my hands and when I am shooting it the time constraint isn't the same. I'm already wearing a dang plate carrier and carrying all my mags, ammo and rifle so I don't want any more than I have to.

Flip side, it is fun to build a gun out. And it is fun to mentally tell yourself "I've got the best equipment, no excuses at all. It's all on me". Only you can balance your needs, wants and budget out.

I would get a Glock 34 (non-MOS) and add a 13 pound ISMI recoil spring, a Timney trigger, and a set of Sevigny Competition sights (~$250 of accessories).  Possibly a magwell and some grip tape.  Get a gen 5 if her hands are smallish.  Nothing else is really necessary.  Yeah, a 17 is as accurate as a 34 and a 19 is as accurate as a 17, but in my experience, a 34 is easier to shoot accurately than the other two, especially if you are in any sort of hurry.  

Edited by deerslayer

Good sights and ammo not much more is needed with a glock. Find someone with a 17 and 34, shoot them both and find the one that fits her hands the best, feels the best and learn the gun. I like the feel of a 34, but I shoot a 19 better. A little polish job and time at the range goes a long ways farther them dumping money into after market parts. 

Edited by floater