Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OFFSET Mag Release

Ergos

Enjoying all the upgrades people are doing, so thought I'd contribute one that quite a few competition shooters have been recently raving about.

Does anyone have or tried the new OFFSET magazine release that Align Tactical makes?

They have a display in my local gun store (Austin) and it feels fantastic!  Here is a pic. 

Lets your hand can get higher up under the undercut, and I don't have to shift the gun my hand to actuate it. Feels awesome, and I installed it in all my grip modules.

The bottom half is completely FLUSH with the remaining grip in the bottom of anything I put it in.

2029360486_Floorcompare.thumb.jpg.6cfce850b851e5c34a360e8ee052ecc2.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one and prefer it to the springer. I found that I would engage the springer on the draw and several times drew with a gun and the mag released on presentation. It’ll be mandatory on any p320 I have. I don’t have to move my hands to engage the reload. 

Figured I'd add this pic to the post since I got an email with a cool pic going around that has their button installed. Align Tactical was demoing their newest product at the local ranges that should be released in December!  It's a Thumb Rest Takedown Lever and if you are on their mailing list should know the moment its available!  Looks awesome!

IMG_4300.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I being left handed have found it works much better then the one from springer precision. A small side note to check that it doesn't get pushed in by your holster. My girlfriend is right handed and it would get pushed in by her holster and drop the mag out the gun after the first shot. 

Yeah, I've heard another left-hander who tried mine say that it is also more comfortable. As far as getting pushed in, I've lightly touched the dremel to only one of my holsters to keep it from touching and that was enough to prevent any issue. All my other holsters worked perfectly fine. I make my gear work for the gun, kydex is easy to tweak.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

Curious on which holsters this will work with and will not work with.  From the website it would seem they are using a special holster.

Your right.  The holster makers are listed on the site.  I'm going to wait and see if I like the thumb rest before buying a new holster.

• 2 weeks later...

I was pretty set on getting a springer, even after I saw the offset. Reason is that I have to do the slightest “roll” of the grip to positively engage the release. Thought the springer would aid in that. But there seems to be a pretty good turn out of people suggesting the offset more after using both. Back to being torn I guess lol. 

X5SigChris, The Offset is definitely the way to go and I've got medium/small hands and still never have to roll anything with this. I can lock my grip and easily press the mag button a hundred times in a row without my grip moving. If you feel you still need to get more leverage then would recommend getting the X-small sized grip and you really won't have to worry. That is unless you are gripping pistols such that your knuckle is rubbing on the beavertail, instead of letting it sit in the middle of the web of your hand where you'll get the proper leverage. Align recently added some media links below their webpage, that gives a good look at the parts (see pic). Your grip will be way higher and more comfortable than you can get with anything else. Feels great, and your thumb doesn't have to travel downward as far since it is offset up higher to meet it.  I don't even feel the Offset in my support hand, whereas the Springer goes backwards towards the center of your palm, so you can either have it dig in or accidentally drop a mag as some have done. After running this I don't even bother looking at other upgrades and with the new thumb rest... it is a game changer! I'm a devout believer in their products.

Cover.JPG

I have long fingers and the Springer Extended release did interfere with my grip.  The offset release eliminated the problem so if you have the interference issue it is worth a try.  It's certainly not going to make me an instant GM.

1 hour ago, fireman1776 said:

With the Springer mag release I would engage it on the draw and the mag would fly out. This one is perfect. 

has anyone gotten their hands on the takedown lever? 

My question too. Anyone buy the takedown lever and try it?

I have a GX Vise holster and am using a GG pedal. Based on the height of this pedal published on their website, it is slightly taller (~2mm) than the GG but should fit comfortably. One potential issue is this. When you draw, the pedal may catch the edge of the holster. The cutout on my holster might not large enough to ensure no interference upon draw. I’ve had no such issue with the GG pedal coz it has a “tear drop shape”. I would extend the cutout and remove the lip from the holster completely. 

7CBCDBF6-D66D-4177-91CB-E275F7B826E0.jpeg

E8E19B13-349B-4D60-8B90-4677E61CB73F.jpeg

Edited by jaep1911

10 hours ago, fireman1776 said:

Does it catch on the draw at all? That's very good news if not! 

I had already removed the small lip in the indentation for the thumb test because it caught on the *thumb rest [generic]* rest. I’m not sure if the align thumb rest would catch there or not, I’d guess yes.