Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA/SA barney round procedure

WaltK

Hello Members

New guy here. Just acquired my first da/sa pistol. What is the correct procedure for lowering the hammer after chambering the barney round. 

Do I lower the hammer after the barney round and then insert the full mag or wait until the full mag is inserted? Or is it the shooter's  choice?

It's your choice.  Just keep your  finger away from the trigger and you'll be fine.

BTW, you can "pinch" the hammer and lower it or "roll" the hammer down with a finger between it and the frame.  Rolling blocks the hammer all the way down and feels (to me) to be safer.  YMMV. 

1 minute ago, teros135 said:

It's your choice.  Just keep your  finger away from the trigger and you'll be fine.

BTW, you can "pinch" the hammer and lower it or "roll" the hammer down with a finger between it and the frame.  Rolling blocks the hammer all the way down and feels (to me) to be safer.  YMMV. 

Thank you very much!

32 minutes ago, WaltK said:

Hello Members

New guy here. Just acquired my first da/sa pistol. What is the correct procedure for lowering the hammer after chambering the barney round. 

Do I lower the hammer after the barney round and then insert the full mag or wait until the full mag is inserted? Or is it the shooter's  choice?

Also relevant is whether your pistol has a decocker or not.

If it does have a decocker, you are required to use it to lower the hammer at make ready.  

Thank you guys. I should have stated this question pertains to a CZ Shadow 2 SRO. As a matter of fact I'll be shooting 

my first practice session this afternoon. I will load the barney, lower the hammer, remove the mag and replace with a 23 round mag. 

We'll see how this works.  Thanks again.  

58 minutes ago, WaltK said:

Thank you guys. I should have stated this question pertains to a CZ Shadow 2 SRO. As a matter of fact I'll be shooting 

my first practice session this afternoon. I will load the barney, lower the hammer, remove the mag and replace with a 23 round mag. 

We'll see how this works.  Thanks again.  

Why not just take your first magazine, put an extra round in it and load using that? 

10 minutes ago, 2MoreChains said:

OP is trying to get to 23+1 capacity.  CZ mags with extensions max out at 23.  

In Carry Optics/Production Optics?

Ah didn't realise USPSA Carry Optics did not have a capacity limit, my bad

Edited by Blackstone45

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

How often does starting with 23 instead of 24 make any difference?

Maybe he's doing drills shot in multiples of 6 or 8 for instance. Then going to 24 is nice at the range.

Also helps to make sure all your stuff will work when loaded like that.

26 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Maybe he's doing drills shot in multiples of 6 or 8 for instance. Then going to 24 is nice at the range.

Also helps to make sure all your stuff will work when loaded like that.

Exactly correct.

11 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

How often does starting with 23 instead of 24 make any difference?

It made a difference at a couple of stages at nationals.  A classifier was 24 rounds exactly and a couple of stages were in the 20 round count, where 24 made it acceptable to run the stage without worrying about a reload.  I have also come across some at locals lately due to matches starting to through in some lower round count stages (possibly due to ammo shortage but who knows), that seem to be more prevalent recently

6 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

It made a difference at a couple of stages at nationals.  A classifier was 24 rounds exactly and a couple of stages were in the 20 round count, where 24 made it acceptable to run the stage without worrying about a reload.

That is interesting. Planning for all 24 or nearly all seems more dicey than finding enough movement to allow a 'free' reload, not saying that it is (B class hacker here) but when I was shooting limited (20-21 in mag) I can't remember a stage that didn't allow opportunity to keep plenty of rounds in the gun.

Do the pros ever shoot their high capacity mags dry?   

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I have seen a few instances where high level shooters will do this.

At Nationals, many in our squad shot that classifier with one mag and a barney running the mag dry.

That is interesting. Planning for all 24 or nearly all seems more dicey than finding enough movement to allow a 'free' reload, not saying that it is (B class hacker here) but when I was shooting limited (20-21 in mag) I can't remember a stage that didn't allow opportunity to keep plenty of rounds in the gun.

Sometimes risky plans come with big rewards and even one more round can provide some extra confidence.

I shoot CO and I plus 1 every single time, both for consistency's sake and because there is zero downside.

On a 24 round all paper stage, I can start with 25 and would likely not worry about a reload unless there were a lot of partials and I thought I might need to send a makeup. It also depends on the layout of the stage. 
On a 22 or 23 round stage, I almost never would plan in a reload because I have 2-3 extra rounds.

Now if your gun only holds 22 or 23 rounds, your situation is different. 

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

finding enough movement to allow a 'free' reload,

Also its rare a reload is free.  You may think its fee because you are moving, the fact is you would get from point A to point B quicker without a reload in most instances.

Running a gun dry is a risk vs reward and will always be a stage dependent decision based up on the shooters' comfort of making the shots required on the that course of fire much like, @waktaszmentioned.  

I have in instances know I would be close to running dry for a given stage plan, and been able to slow ever so slightly to make sure I get good hits, especially when there is a lot of steel involved in that particular course of fire for that round count to make sure I do not run dry prematurely.  Again risk vs reward.  

Edited by Boomstick303