Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625-8 rear sight

DianabolandDeadlifts

15 hours ago, 625 said:

How much Clays are you loading. Just switching to Clays from Red Dot.  Was thinking 3.8 or 4.0

I would start with 4.0 and go up or down from there. I like a minimum of 750 fps. for major. Every gun is different, so you have to chrono your particular gun to see where it's at.

On 11/2/2021 at 4:36 PM, alecmc said:

The bowen classic arms are the best IMO.

LPA is popular as well, but I dislike the fiber rears.

Not to hi Jack this thread but what rear sight height do you recommend, looking for that deeper notch. I am having the same issues with my 626PC, half of the fiber optic is being cut off in the sight picture.  

thanks 

Squirrel 

Edited by Squirrel45

1 hour ago, Squirrel45 said:

Not to hi Jack this thread but what rear sight height do you recommend, looking for that deeper notch. I am having the same issues with my 626PC, half of the fiber optic is being cut off in the sight picture.  

thanks 

Squirrel 

.400 tall rear with a .250 tall front is what is on probably 80% of my revos

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

I actually put a fixed rear sight on mine. I forget who makes it but I’m pretty sure it came from Brownells over 10 years ago. It works awesome. 

I remember seeing those and never knew how that would work out.

Is it adjustable at all like a fixed auto sight is? 

9 hours ago, MWP said:

I remember seeing those and never knew how that would work out.

Is it adjustable at all like a fixed auto sight is? 

I dug out the package, It’s made by SDM Fabricating. It’s called “semi-adjustable” but I don’t know about that, maybe if you didn’t screw it down all the way you can get some height elevation. I loved it when I shot a lot of revo, but I am probably going to replace it with an Allchin sro mount. 

4A5CDC1F-0115-4A2E-8C24-21DAA201C4B5.jpeg

CC2AAC9E-3471-4676-A4BB-B97FF9C42A88.jpeg

A188E369-EC88-4A43-917A-567E4406DC1F.jpeg

20 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

thanks 

Squirrel 

On mine I use a .250" tall FS and a .196" tall RS (Factory on the 627PC, the normal factory FS is a .126" or .146" blade).

https://www.midwayusa.com/handgun-parts/br?searchTerm=rear+sight&perPage=48&cid=23855&Brand=Smith+%26+Wesson&Compatible+Make=Smith+%26+Wesson&Compatible+Model=Smith+%26+Wesson+625+N-Frame 

The notch on these are deeper than either the Weigands or Millets (Discontinued) I have.  The Serrated Bo-Mar look of the Weigand never helped me see any better and while shooting, especially in a match, I've never even notice the difference.

thanks everyone, I have had for 3 years now but always had a dot on it. I was thinking of shooting limited6 with it in Icore, i know not the best choice. But my other options are a 44 redhawk and SW 25. other ones are 8 shooters 

3 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

...I was thinking of shooting limited6 with it in Icore, i know not the best choice. But my other options are a 44 redhawk and SW 25. other ones are 8 shooters 

What's wrong with the 25? I shoot a 625 5" in L6 for ICORE. I make 172 power factor, but it doesn't make as much of difference shooting at ICORE speeds

Edited by PatJones
Spelling

12 hours ago, PatJones said:

What's wrong with the 25? I shoot a 625 5" in L6 for ICORE. I make 172 power factor, but it doesn't make as much of difference shooting at ICORE speeds

Same here, but I download with 185 coated to about 140, or less.

thats what I am

20 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

hoping to do just the same, but cant seem to find a 180/5 RN. Everything comes up SWC type, be a bit tricky on the reload. 

Edited by Squirrel45

56 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

I can't be bothered loading a special round for ICORE and re-zeroing my revolvers when I change. I shoot the same ammo I load for USPSA.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:43 AM, PatJones said:

I can't be bothered loading a special round for ICORE and re-zeroing my revolvers when I change. I shoot the same ammo I load for USPSA.

I understand, I just use the 625 for ICORE L6 though.  Though I do have an extra set of RS Assembly that I can sight in, loc tite, and then swap back and forth (hope I don't run out of F100's and "have" to go major!).  Kind of the same thing I do for the 627 Pro I use with a Dot for Open in ICORE, when I use it as a back up.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:03 AM, Squirrel45 said:

thats what I am

hoping to do just the same, but cant seem to find a 180/5 RN. Everything comes up SWC type, be a bit tricky on the reload. 

IBEJ has a good 185 Coated RN, https://www.ibejiheads.com/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=11&osCsid=80bf9d0e3e3d2802f3c1b209bc6e143e.

Though lately I've used Bang & Clang's 180 Coated FN https://bangandclangllc.com/products/180-grain-45-acp-rnfp-sized-0-452-coated.html and haven't had any issues with reloads.  I loaded them real short, 1.165" at 740 f/s to help with the low pressures.  They had them in stock and shipped out quickly.  They also have a 165 Coated FN I'm thinking of https://bangandclangllc.com/products/165grnfp-nlg-45acp.html  but they don't have a pix and want to make sure they don't have a larger FN.

Edited by pskys2

On 11/5/2021 at 11:58 AM, pskys2 said:

On mine I use a .250" tall FS and a .196" tall RS

Yep, that's what I use. An SDM Super Sight front, and I open the rear notch up to .150 on a .196 rear.

It helps my old eyes.

Edited by ysrracer

9 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Yep, that's what I use. An SDM Super Sight front, and I open the rear notch up to .150 on a .196 rear.

It helps my old eyes.

That and a pair of prescription shooting glasses.  The Optometrist gave me a funny look when I said I wanted my focus exactly at 24.5" in my right eye prescription.  But that's where my FS's sit.  And it works.

9 hours ago, pskys2 said:

That and a pair of prescription shooting glasses.  The Optometrist gave me a funny look when I said I wanted my focus exactly at 24.5" in my right eye prescription.  But that's where my FS's sit.  And it works.

I had Morgan Optical in New York make me a pair of Rangers with the right lens +1.0, and none in the left lens.

I went with rose colored lenses, and they really make the red fiber optic POP.

They work great.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:12 PM, alecmc said:

.400 tall rear with a .250 tall front is what is on probably 80% of my revos

thank you Alec, I plan on picking up one or two of these Bowen sights for my 929 and 625. would a .400 rear but good for both? 

thanks again 

Squirrel 

1 hour ago, Squirrel45 said:

thank you Alec, I plan on picking up one or two of these Bowen sights for my 929 and 625. would a .400 rear but good for both? 

thanks again 

Squirrel 

I use a .250 tall front SDM Super Sight, and the tallest rear blade they make.

21 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

thanks again 

Squirrel 

I'd say so. Thats what is on most all my guns. 

Best of luck.