Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 grain .45 Roundnose.

Jim Watson

I had just gotten settled with the Gallant 200 gr Hi Tek coated roundnose when Covid struck and they quit making anything but 230s. 

Does anybody else have that mold?45_cal._200_grn._RN.1-54.thumb.jpg.e1bdd754330b9391d15fe10edbb7034b.jpg

I like the ballistics of the 200 gr. .45 and not all guns will feed SWCs. 

At present I am loading similar plated Xtremes at higher price and requiring extra attention. 

Edited by Jim Watson

Not all SWC's are created equal.

However, it is my understanding that the H&H 68 SWC was designed to match the contact points of a 230gr RN.  It has proven very reliable over the years.

If a gun will not reliably feed a properly loaded H&G 68 SWC, I would consider having the gun fixed.

Thank you.  

My main gun for this load has been through the builder's shop and two others without a lot of improvement.  It still wants roundnose.  I am currently "tuning" magazines to get it back to normal function even with those.  I fear a fix would involve a new barrel.

1 hour ago, AHI said:

I have tried that pattern of bullet from Billy Bullets (nastiest coating I have seen short of Kal Gard) and BBI.  Not a particularly good feeder in my finicky gun due to pointy nose and SWC type shoulder.

15 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Please don't overlook our Forum Dealer!

I wouldn't if he made a 200 gr RN.  His 230 RN NLG looks like the same nose profile, that might have to be my fallback.

I guess I could retire the gun or sell it to somebody willing to mess with it.

I am at present tinkering with gun and magazines.

PS. I have tried the 200 gr RNFP really meant for CAS lever actions and it is fairly good with the OAL just right.

PPS. I have some regular 230 RN that seem a bit blunt for this gun, I'll try some with tinkered magazines.

Edited by Jim Watson

The Precision is a possible, starting to get some real options.

The ibeji LOOKS the same as the Gallant, thanks.

I shot some of the Missouri bullets when they first came out.  I recall they fed ok but they took a complete reset of all dies, lots more flare for the flat base and could not even use my usual Hornady Microjust.  

PS

I ordered some 200 gr bullets to try in my finicky gun.

Precision said 6 weeks on the www but 10 weeks on the order confirmation email.  I will probably forget it by then and it will be a surprise birthday present.

But ibej said 3 to 5 DAYS.  Wow.

Edited by Jim Watson
Ordered bullets.

Missouri 200 gr RNFP

This is the bullet I shoot, besides their semi was cutter ! I have neve had a problem with these or the semi wad cutters feeding!

IDP #4-XD - Hi-Tek
.452 Diameter
.45 ACP
200 Grain RNFP
Brinell 18
Bullet OAL .544 +/-
For Major Power Factor
Hi-Tek 2-Extreme Coating
Price per box of 500
Price: $51.50

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got in the Precision Bullets, not as long delivery as warned, but not real fast.  They also look, load, and shoot well.

But after untold tinkering with bullets and magazine lips, I think I have cleared up my feeding problems, I replaced the magazine springs and operation is much smoother.  At present prices I was only willing to shoot one load of 10+1 rounds per re-sprung magazine, which all fed, fired, and functioned with mixed loads of Xtreme, Precision, and IBJEheads.  They will get the acid test at next week's match.  

Oh, by the way, is there anything productive to do with squashed magazine and recoil springs?

Use the magazine springs on your shelves like Wal-Mart to keep moving your reloading products forward. 🤣🤣 Seriously,  if they are shot, either toss them or mark them so they don’t find their way back in your gun. 

On 10/31/2021 at 12:54 AM, Guy Neill said:

Not all SWC's are created equal.

However, it is my understanding that the H&H 68 SWC was designed to match the contact points of a 230gr RN.  It has proven very reliable over the years.

If a gun will not reliably feed a properly loaded H&G 68 SWC, I would consider having the gun fixed.

Funny, in a Glock thread I recently started here with questions about a Model 21 or 41, I got three posts specifically and a few more generally stating that SWCs either wouldn't work or would barely work. I don't know if they were referring to H&G68 200gr or not.

They got somewhat lost among the posts telling me to just go 9mm though, despite my repeated explanations of why I was sticking with 45ACP.

42 minutes ago, Igloodude said:

Funny, in a Glock thread I recently started here with questions about a Model 21 or 41, I got three posts specifically and a few more generally stating that SWCs either wouldn't work or would barely work. I don't know if they were referring to H&G68 200gr or not.

They got somewhat lost among the posts telling me to just go 9mm though, despite my repeated explanations of why I was sticking with 45ACP.

Go back and read I gave you the answer . SWC work just fine. H&G 68 style work. My standard Bullseye ammo for my custom 1911. Works fine. All this  in a Glock 41. Also worked in a 21 that I had years ago. Know several other people with Glocks . No issues. I also said for you the 45acp was a very good option. Over all length is the key. Most people who have issues . Don't understand this.

Edited by AHI

The Glocks that have issues. Are the compact ones . Not full size.

Some times I come across a little harsh. This is one of those times.

Edited by AHI

9 hours ago, AHI said:

The Glocks that have issues. Are the compact ones . Not full size.

Some times I come across a little harsh. This is one of those times.

Oh, no worries, you were fine, I appreciated your helpful responses in that thread. It was a few others in that thread that were dismissive of my original question, unrelated to SWC ammo in any case.