Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions from someone new to Glocks

Igloodude

I've shot Bullseye for a while, and USPSA for the last few years, all in SingleStack and occasionally Revolver, and a few Limited matches courtesy of my friend's backup gear. He is talking me into my first Glock, with some Christmas money I've scraped together (i.e. limited budget here). I'm anticipating a 21 or 41 as I reload 45ACP, and have a few questions I hope you all can help me with, that my buddy can't - he's pretty 9mm-centric, it's amazing we even get along. LOL

I've read that most .45ACP Glocks do not feed semiwadcutter reliably, and sometimes loading to max OAL helps. This sucks, both because I was hoping the "shoots anything reliably" I hear about would include SWC. Do aftermarket barrels (KKM or BarSto) help with that, or do they have the same ramp geometry and limitation?

And, I try to collect my brass, certainly after practices, and sometimes when match conditions permit. Should I be looking for an aftermarket barrel on that basis alone, to avoid persistent case bulging?

Lastly, yes I'm likely going to be changing out the sights, and probably doing something about the trigger - I know it'll never be 1911ish but something closer to 4lbs and reasonably crisp would be nice. Given that I'm going to be putting Minor-ish ammo through it, are there any springs that deserve swapping out aside from what is entailed in the trigger job?

SWC are a no-go in stock Glock 45 barrels. Don't know about aftermarket.

If you're shooting for fun, shoot anything you want. When I shot some IDPA, I didn't even care which class they put me in. But like others have said, 9mm is a better choice for games and cheaper to reload - 115 gr bullets vs 230, 200, or 180

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Is it going to be just a range toy? It won’t fit in well to any games like USPSA.

USPSA Production, I figure. No downside to larger bullets given the 10+1 limit and loading down to Minor-ish powerfactor.

Edited by Igloodude

21 minutes ago, lgh said:

SWC are a no-go in stock Glock 45 barrels. Don't know about aftermarket.

If you're shooting for fun, shoot anything you want. When I shot some IDPA, I didn't even care which class they put me in. But like others have said, 9mm is a better choice for games and cheaper to reload - 115 gr bullets vs 230, 200, or 180

A couple pocket pistols in 380 aside, all my centerfire firearms (including a revolver and a carbine) are 45ACP and that's the only caliber I'm set up to reload, so there's no upside for me to go 9mm in this case.

1 minute ago, Igloodude said:

A couple pocket pistols in 380 aside, all my centerfire firearms (including a revolver and a carbine) are 45ACP and that's the only caliber I'm set up to reload, so there's no upside for me to go 9mm in this case.

upside is that it's cheaper in the long run (cheaper brass, bullets and you use less powder) and you get to play with a different caliber...

4 minutes ago, racerba said:

upside is that it's cheaper in the long run (cheaper brass, bullets and you use less powder) and you get to play with a different caliber...

Understood and thanks for the thought, but my buddy buys 9mm in bulk and I can shoot his guns whenever I like, so my own first Glock is going to be either a 21 or 41.

I am curious about why a Glock 21 wouldn't be as competitive (assuming 45ACP ammo loaded down towards minor PF) in Production, though.

2 minutes ago, Igloodude said:

Understood and thanks for the thought, but my buddy buys 9mm in bulk and I can shoot his guns whenever I like, so my own first Glock is going to be either a 21 or 41.

I am curious about why a Glock 21 wouldn't be as competitive (assuming 45ACP ammo loaded down towards minor PF) in Production, though.

you slow it down to minor PF loads and you lose accuracy at further distances...and it's cheaper to reload 9s than .45s with the amount of ammo we use for the sport...

28 minutes ago, Igloodude said:

USPSA Production, I figure. No downside to larger bullets given the 10+1 limit and loading down to Minor-ish powerfactor.

It would be a rare bird but it will certainly work for production. Cost of bullets would be an issue for me but if that’s what you are set up to load and don’t feel the need to change then by all means shoot .45. 
 Not sure what spring combo would work to get it anywhere near minor PF and stay reliable but I’m sure there will be something that works.

1 hour ago, Igloodude said:

Shooting this in production would be fun. As far as competitive goes that all depends on your ability to do everything as soon as possible with reasonable accuracy.

As far as bullets go, use a 230 grain RN loaded to 170PF (around 740 fps) and you will be amazed at the softness of the round. Personally I've never loaded 45acp less than this, so I'm not sure how a 5-600 fps will operate the gun. 

Edited by HesedTech

I use Precision's coated round nose flat point 200 gr for my Glock 41 with a KKM aftermarket barrel - loaded to major with VV 310 - no feeding problems. I swapped out the recoil spring to a 15 lb ISMI on a captured Jager steel recoil rod, but 17 lb ISMI should work. For minor, I would probably try the 15 lb recoil spring and go from there. I use a 4.5 pound striker spring with a Jager extended tip striker. The large frame Glocks work better with at least the 4.5 lb. striker spring for ignition reliability. I use a minus Glock factory connector with a Zev trigger bar that already had on hand. Not the lightest Glock trigger I have, but entirely serviceable.

Had a Glock 30 years ago that would absolutely not run SWC reliably, so I never even bothered trying them with the 41. I would get the 41 with the longer slide, especially for limited or production with iron sights - better sight radius. Had a 21 at one point (before the 41 came out) and really did not care for the shorter, but much blockier slide. You probably would have better luck finding a 41 in today's market, from what I have seen. A few more $$, but worth it.

I got tired of fooling with SWC in anything, so I just looked and found sources of 200 gr roundnose so I could have the ballistics without the throating and tuning and dinking around.  I have some SWC left and a gun or two that will feed them, but when they are gone, they are gone.

I looked at a G21 for GSSF but did not know if it would cycle light loads, so went 9mm.  

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

It would be a rare bird but it will certainly work for production. Cost of bullets would be an issue for me but if that’s what you are set up to load and don’t feel the need to change then by all means shoot .45. 
 Not sure what spring combo would work to get it anywhere near minor PF and stay reliable but I’m sure there will be something that works.

I imagine that you would easily be able to see a 230gr FMJ at minor PF as it flew down the range. 600' per second would be around 138PF.

Like others have said, I went the RN route but did it even when I shot .45s in matches. 

The COAL on stubby .45 SWC rounds is super critical, and can vary a bit gun-to-gun. Once you determine the length your gun absorbs you should be OK. 

I use the exact same ammo in my 41 as  my custom "Bulls eye" 1911. Factory Glock barrel does not lead.

No need to change.   41 MOS could be used in CO, Limited 10, Production and Limited (major). Taylor Free

lance has mag extensions. 41 fits same holster as 35/34.

9mm would be less expensive to shoot in the long run. But you are going to have to tool up to load ammo.

7 hours ago, racerba said:

you slow it down to minor PF loads and you lose accuracy at further distances...and it's cheaper to reload 9s than .45s with the amount of ammo we use for the sport...

In Bullseye, 200gr SWC at 700-800fps is pretty much standard and capable of 1.5" groups at 50yds (pistol permitting). That's the load I had in mind for Minor (140pf at the low end), and frankly .45 SWC is just fun at USPSA matches, both more easily being able to see hits, and hearing comments about the big frikkin holes from fellow shooters and occasionally thanks from scorers that have an easier job with my targets. 😄

9 minutes ago, AHI said:

I use the exact same ammo in my 41 as  my custom "Bulls eye" 1911. Factory Glock barrel does not lead.

No need to change.   41 MOS could be used in CO, Limited 10, Production and Limited (major). Taylor Free

lance has mag extensions. 41 fits same holster as 35/34.

9mm would be less expensive to shoot in the long run. But you are going to have to tool up to load ammo.

Is that ammo SWC or 230gr RN or something else (and coated or just cast)?

And thanks everyone for these responses, I appreciate the help.

swc 180gr H&G style 4.2 bulls eye powder 

swc 160        ?               4.3/4.5 Bulls eye powder

currently plain lead will be moving to coated when I run out of plain lead.

I get it, you don't want a 9mm. Now go buy a 17 MOS and shoot production and when you get tired of that  you can shoot carry-ops real easy. I will not enable you by giving you 45 minor loads. 

Seriously, get a 9. And I don't don't care for 9

My Gen2 G21 will eat Winchester 185 SuperMatch all day long.  That is a jacketed SWC and loaded pretty light.  The only issue is ejection reliability.  If I relax the grip one iota, it will eject the case just hard enough to stand it up on top of slide right in front of the rear sight.

Awhile back I ran a Glock 21 and 41 in limited division. I could only load 17 rounds in the mags but it was such a fun pistol. That big .45 hole made it easy to see the hits and the recoil was easy to control. As you get older it’s not just about what we logically think is the best gun/caliber, but what caliber allows you to see the hits 7-10 yards away, knocks down all the steel and puts a smile on your face even if you aren’t as competitive now..just my .02 on the 45 Glocks.