Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050/RL1100 shell plate options?

Can some of you smart folks out there tell me why I might want to replace the Dillon shell plate that came with my RL1100 with one of the other brands out there?  It’s the #5 shell plate for 9mm. 

While we’re on the subject, who are some of the other shell plate manufacturers I might want to consider?  I know that FW Arms and TNT make them, but who else, and why is it better?

Thanks. 

If your 1100 came with the new and thicker version of the Dillon shell plate, there’s no need to buy the aftermarket ones. I’m using the stock shell plate for processing and reloading 9 and .223 without any problems at all.

5 hours ago, George16 said:

If your 1100 came with the new and thicker version of the Dillon shell plate, there’s no need to buy the aftermarket ones. I’m using the stock shell plate for processing and reloading 9 and .223 without any problems at all.

George:

Received my 1100 first week of May 2020.  Not sure if it has the "new and thicker" shell plate or not; but I can honestly say it's not given me any problems whatsoever!

But, I have been eyeing that great looking shell plate from FW Arms!  https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/pre-order-1-plate-for-dillon-super-1050-1100-cp2000-by-f-w-arms/

;)

17 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

George:

Received my 1100 first week of May 2020.  Not sure if it has the "new and thicker" shell plate or not; but I can honestly say it's not given me any problems whatsoever!

But, I have been eyeing that great looking shell plate from FW Arms!  https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/pre-order-1-plate-for-dillon-super-1050-1100-cp2000-by-f-w-arms/

;)

I got mine in late 2020 and it does not have the new shell plate. I was also looking hard at the one from FW Arms. The groove on the underside for the ball intrigued me. 

34 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

I see the #5 shellplate still has the old part number listed on Dillon's website.  How can we tell if an RL1100 has the new or old shell plate?

🤔 

I think Sigarms posted pics with the thickness on the one he got. If I recall, folks that got the new thicker plate also got some sort of notice along with the press mentioning it. 

Well I thought you were interested in other options so that's why I suggested it.

Then I realized you'd already mentioned TNT in the OP. But I'd already posted.

Why you would want it? I don't know. You were looking for options. I was trying to give you one.

6 hours ago, Cuz said:

I think Sigarms posted pics with the thickness on the one he got. If I recall, folks that got the new thicker plate also got some sort of notice along with the press mentioning it. 

Cuz:

Can you find me a link to Sigarm's post?  You've got me thinking about what are the improvements other than thickness...........

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Cuz:

Can you find me a link to Sigarm's post?  You've got me thinking about what are the improvements other than thickness...........

Thanks!

Here’s the thread where he posted the pics:

I've used the factory, TNT , F&FB and the FW just showed up and haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Unless you are automating your press, I don't see a reason to use an aftermarket one.  But I must admit, the bling on the FW Arms is off the chain. 

6 hours ago, Cuz said:

And we’ll expect a full report when your research is finished. 
:)

Received this from Dillon:

Yes, 1050 ShellPlates have been thickened, except for the stepped down portion where it’s milled out for the cases. This new design adds more rigidity and therefore less flexing and warping. Warping usually occurs in the swaging station when the Swage Rod is adjusted up too high.

Price is 95.00 for the ShellPlates and we do have most in stock.

I really like the machining/looks of the FW Arms plate.  Think I'll ask a few questions concerning that one with the manufacturer.  Right now I'm thinking the aftermarket has improved the plates to the point that if a user decides to automate, then they are already covered.

Thanks for all the info!

;)

• 3 weeks later...

I've done about 11,000 cases through my 1050 with the FW Arms plate, and holy crap is it nice. Running at 3500 RPH on the RL1050 and I've had maybe 3 cases not feed right and go launching on index. One I know for sure was because of a piece of debris that was under it as it tried to feed, and I'd assume the other two were the same thing. With the Dillon plate it was a nightmare on this machine. On my old RL the Dillon plate ran great and the FFB plate wouldn't work at all. When I automated the newer RL I had (the old one just stopped working), the Dillon plate wouldn't work even at slow speeds very well, but the FFB ran good up to 2400 RPH. I then got a new motor for the Mk7 and when I jumped to 3500 the FFB would jam regularly, with cases getting stuck on insertion. I tried everything and it was a constant issue. Now, with the FW Arms plate I have not had one case stick going in. Which blows me away. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 3:12 AM, slavex said:

I've done about 11,000 cases through my 1050 with the FW Arms plate, and holy crap is it nice. Running at 3500 RPH on the RL1050 and I've had maybe 3 cases not feed right and go launching on index. One I know for sure was because of a piece of debris that was under it as it tried to feed, and I'd assume the other two were the same thing. With the Dillon plate it was a nightmare on this machine. On my old RL the Dillon plate ran great and the FFB plate wouldn't work at all. When I automated the newer RL I had (the old one just stopped working), the Dillon plate wouldn't work even at slow speeds very well, but the FFB ran good up to 2400 RPH. I then got a new motor for the Mk7 and when I jumped to 3500 the FFB would jam regularly, with cases getting stuck on insertion. I tried everything and it was a constant issue. Now, with the FW Arms plate I have not had one case stick going in. Which blows me away. 

I can’t seem to find the shell plates on the FW Arms website. Have they quit making them?