Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

750 and primers

Well. For starters, are you manually loading the primer tubes? Are you 100% they’re getting in the tube the right way?

If you know they’re in the tube properly… and they’re flipping going into the primer slide… you have likely tightened the knurled top of the primer magazine too much and mangled the plastic tip. 

Replace the tip and don’t apply much force when reattaching everything. 

14 hours ago, Nc1911 said:

Throw away the blue plastic magazine tips and replace it with a brass tip from Uniquetek and check the adjustment of the primer bar.  Problems solved.

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1739

great tip  thanks..now if they had something better for the primer pick up tips--I would be all in for sure

Edited by boatdoc173

1 minute ago, Dirty_J said:

Never had an issue with the plastic tips… but I don’t mangle them putting the primer magazine cap on. So. Yeah. 🤷‍♀️

mine just wear out too fast. start out great. after  1000 primers,  the spp  primers  start to fall out  the loading end as I try to pick up more than 70  in a  primer  pick up tube( I usually load  100  by hand in each tube)

45 minutes ago, boatdoc173 said:

mine just wear out too fast. start out great. after  1000 primers,  the spp  primers  start to fall out  the loading end as I try to pick up more than 70  in a  primer  pick up tube( I usually load  100  by hand in each tube)

That is wearing out way too fast.

Something is not right.

If properly assembled with no system defects, cleaned, lubed, etc., the blue plastic tip should last 10K without breaking a sweat.

My current one has at least 50k on it and I only replaced it with an eye to preventive maintenance.

20 hours ago, Maaax said:

a lot of upside down primers

The only ways primers can be upside down are if you loaded them that way or they flipped while dropping into the shuttle. Normally they will not flip as the are dropped into the shuttle unless you have some issues like a deformed "blue tip."

One fix is to put 45 brass over the follower to add a bit of down pressure on the primers. This helps them feed.

With automation (1050) I do tend to soften the blue tips a bit sooner than normal with manual. Also the brass tip could cause other issues, such as a jammed primer which did not feed properly from the magazine (leading to a possible kaboom). Most do not recommend using anything other than the infamous blue tips.

Just my two cents after 10s of thousands of rounds loaded with 1050, 650 and a couple of 550s.

Something is happening between the magazine loading tube and the primer cup feed. If I understand what is being said here the blue plastic piece on the feed tube is deformed which allows the primer to load upside down in the primer feed cup. Correct?

1 hour ago, Maaax said:

Something is happening between the magazine loading tube and the primer cup feed. If I understand what is being said here the blue plastic piece on the feed tube is deformed which allows the primer to load upside down in the primer feed cup. Correct?

What is being said is that if that blue plastic piece is deformed then you will likely have problems feeding primers.

You will also have problems if the knurled nut at the top of the primer assembly is too tight.

Turn it so that there is just the start of resistance as it forces the internal primer tube down against the primer slide.

It can be so loose that it will rotate slightly on it's own as the machine is operated.

It is very easy to disassemble and inspect the primer system so that you can examine the blue plastic piece.

Unscrew the knurled nut and pull the internal tube out.

It will often be fairly obvious if your blue tip is deformed.

Note that the blue piece has a small tab that must fit into a detent at the base of the primer system when reassembled.

How can you possibly have upside down primers, unless you load them in the pickup tube upside down?

There's nothing in the process that flips them.

You dump them on the tray, swish it around until they are all oriented the correct way, flip them over, pick them up, dump them in the feed tube.

Are the primers feeding upside down from the primer slide? I had an issue with mine where timing was off and the primers would flip between the slide and actually seating. Might be worth checking out timing if the are all feeding properly in the primer slide.

On 9/30/2021 at 11:38 AM, ddc said:

That is wearing out way too fast.

Something is not right.

If properly assembled with no system defects, cleaned, lubed, etc., the blue plastic tip should last 10K without breaking a sweat.

My current one has at least 50k on it and I only replaced it with an eye to preventive maintenance.

the primer magazine tips are  fine and last a long time as long as  you  install  them gently( as  me  how I  know). they  lock in just fine and last.

it is the primer  PICKUP( yellow  tips  ( for spp) that wear out. they lose their ability to grip the primers under slight  pressure. By the 70th primer or so, they start to fall out  of the  tube  rather than pick up another  primer like they should.

I was  hoping  for an after market improvement for  my 550c set up.  otherwise I have to order  10 replacements to keep on hand.  they always  wear out on holidays  it seems  ;)

Edited by boatdoc173
spelling

3 hours ago, ysrracer said:

How can you possibly have upside down primers, unless you load them in the pickup tube upside down?

There's nothing in the process that flips them.

You dump them on the tray, swish it around until they are all oriented the correct way, flip them over, pick them up, dump them in the feed tube.

Quoted the wrong guy initially. 

A worn plastic tip on the internal primer magazine can indeed cause them to flip when being picked up by the primer slide. 

1 hour ago, boatdoc173 said:

the primer magazine tips are  fine and last a long time as long as  you  install  them gently( as  me  how I  know). they  lock in just fine and last.

it is the primer  PICKUP( yellow  tips  ( for spp) that wear out. they lose their ability to grip the primers under slight  pressure. By the 70th primer or so, they start to fall out  of the  tube  rather than pick up another  primer like they should.

I was  hoping  for an after market improvement for  my 550c set up.  otherwise I have to order  10 replacements to keep on hand.  they always  wear out on holidays  it seems  ;)

Gotcha. 

I guess I'm spoiled. I have a Frankford Vibra Prime that I use to fill the tubes. My yellow tips last forever.

I know people have a love/hate with the VIbra Prime but mine has always worked just fine.

1 hour ago, Dirty_J said:

Quoted the wrong guy initially. 

A worn plastic tip on the internal primer magazine can indeed cause them to flip when being picked up by the primer slide. 

”a deformed blue tip…” I wrote this.

I have had multiple worn tips with associated primer issues. Which is why I have spares.  I also found warming up the tip restored them them to useable status. 

Edited by HesedTech

I noticed this tonight on one of my 550b’s. Out of 200 rounds, I had 7 sideways primers that made it into cases. 🤬

When I checked the magazine tip, it’s white.  Probably time to order a new one then.

• 1 month later...

A friend had the same issue your having and asked me for help I found his press mounted to a 3/4" plywood work station with C-clamps. After bolting his press to a proper solid bench that is bolted to the wall and floor it works fine. My 3 Dillon machines are mounted on a 5/16" sheet of steel that is bolted to my work bench and I can't remember the last time I had a damaged or upside down primer.