Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas magazines

attakmint

2 hours ago, Runswithwood1 said:

Are the atlas 9mm 140s really 23 reloadable? I've only ran mbx mags thus far and looking for some cheaper alternatives

All of my Atlas 9mm mags hold 23 reloadable with the Taran-style base pads they come with.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Runswithwood1 said:

Are the atlas 9mm 140s really 23 reloadable? I've only ran mbx mags thus far and looking for some cheaper alternatives

yes... not a super easy reload (mine are still pretty new), but if you practice a bit they'll seat reliably. It this point i'm putting 23 + 1 in to start, but reloading to 22 for matches just because it's lower risk with magazines that have only been loaded up 15-20 times. With the magwell reloads are so fast and easy that I don't really stress over a round anyway.

10 hours ago, Runswithwood1 said:

I can get 23+1 with no issues with atlas mags in an atlas gun. I’m able to get 24+1 in Mbx mags in the same gun. 

If you use a Thinner Follower, like the TTI Thin SV, then you can easily get a +1 in both the 170mm and 140mm Atlas mags. In 38SC I could cram 25 rounds in the 140mm mags. I wouldn't reload to a 25 round crammed mag, but I would start with it.

It has already been mentioned before in this multi-page thread, but I will mention it again. If you want absolute maximum capacity you need to use a very thin follower and you also need to roll size your reloaded brass prior to loading it. If you ammo isn't roll sized and the base of the case has any amount of "Belly" that will consume at least 1 round worth of space within the tube after you stack 20+ "Chubby Belly" rounds on top of one another.

There is no free lunch here people. If you want absolute maximum capacity then EVERYTHING involved needs to be optimized. Tube, Spring, Follower, Base Pad, AND the Ammo. If you are trying to stuff chubby belly ammo into the mag then don't expect absolute maximum capacity.

• 4 months later...