Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holstered gun canted inward toward the thigh?

RickT

Saw this at a recent steel challenge match, a competitor running an open gun in a race holster where the barrel prior to the draw was definitely canted inward toward the competitor's thigh.  I wouldn't personally run a gun OWB in that condition, but I suppose since some forms of carry holsters are legal in USPSA (?), where these often have barrel axes that at least intersect the shooter's butt, then the aforementioned configuration is legal.  What do the rules say?

the rules don't care if the holster points towards you, they only care if it points towards other people (i.e., too far back). Unless you are super skinny like me, your gun is pretty likely to be pointed at you in the holster. In fact, my boss shot himself in the calf holstering his backup gun during quals last winter, lolz.

I've seen this recently. Open Shooter actually had his holster almost horizontal on his right hip and pointed at his "twig and berries" 😬.  As long as he didn't point his gun Uprange beyond a 3' radius behind himself. Unfortunately, people have a ND holstering and pulling their gun. 

10.5.6 While facing downrange, allowing the muzzle of a loaded firearm to point
uprange beyond a radius of 3 feet from a competitor’s feet while drawing or
re-holstering.

Edited by Lastcat

58 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

I've seen this recently. Open Shooter actually had his holster almost horizontal on his right hip and pointed at his "twig and berries" 😬.  As long as he didn't point his gun Uprange beyond a 3' radius behind himself. Unfortunately, people have a ND holstering and pulling their gun. 

10.5.6 While facing downrange, allowing the muzzle of a loaded firearm to point
uprange beyond a radius of 3 feet from a competitor’s feet while drawing or
re-holstering.

A holstered gun can’t do that either

A holster with the muzzle of the handgun pointing farther than 3

feet from the competitor’s feet while standing relaxed

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

A holstered gun can’t do that either

A holster with the muzzle of the handgun pointing farther than 3

feet from the competitor’s feet while standing relaxed

You mean pointing from his hip to his twig and berries? Maybe I chose the wrong words, "almost horizontal"? You had to have been there to see it. RO's jumped all over it.

He was in compliance and not pointed more than 3' from his feet while standing relaxed. But dang, dude was for sure "riding the edge".