Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

320 Legion and issues with 150 Syntech

GJM

Searched and couldn’t find this. I have been having reliability problems with Federal 150 Syntech and multiple Legion pistols. It has been happening in matches so I clear it and continue, but it is a feeding issue that generally is cleared by racking the slide. Anyone else experienced this? 

Yes I have but only happened a few times upon “Make Ready”.  When I released the slide, a round got stuck between the slide and chamber. Never had the issue while shooting and with Fed 124 Syntech.

Federal Syntec 150gr runs flawless in both of my Sig P320 X5 Legions using the 12# factory recoil spring.  I shoot about 300 rounds a week in practice and USPSA matches.  I hope ammo prices start to come down soon, my stash of the Federal Syntec 150gr will be gone by Labor Day.

Recently took a Travis Tomasie training class with someone that had a CZ A01 LDC with newer manufactured 150gr Syntech. He had a couple of issues with the ammo throughout the class and had one round that had to be removed via a squib rod that had been chambered. 99% of the Syntech ammo he brought ran fine, but there were definitely issues with a few rounds and his CZ. He wasn't able to do a plunk test on it during the class, but our assumption is that it was out of spec in some way. 

Edited by pealandco

The two Legions that have had issues with the 150 Syntech, run reloads, 115 American Eagle and 115 PMC without issue. One has a 12 and the other a 14 pound spring. I have been shooting 150 Syntech for a year in M&P CORE and Walther pistols without issue. I hadn't focused on whether it could be a bad lot of Syntech, as I got enough Syntech for it to be my match ammo. 

In my CORE pistols with Apex barrels, the Syntech shoots crazy small groups at 25 yards. In the Legions, it is more like minute of head box. 

On 6/22/2021 at 10:58 AM, yekcoh said:

Could it possibly be an OAL issue? I'm learning that Sig barrels like very short rounds.

This……It’s been a while since I’ve shot any Syntech ammo, but as I recall, it was loaded pretty long. I don’t own a Legion, but my variety of other P320s prefer ammo loaded shorter than Syntech 150.

Quick update. Since I discontinued shooting the 150 Syntech, the problems have completely gone away. For matches have been using PMC 115 (131 PF) and American Eagle 115. The AE shoots about three inch groups at 25 and the PMC more like five inches. 

On 6/29/2021 at 8:49 AM, GJM said:

Quick update. Since I discontinued shooting the 150 Syntech, the problems have completely gone away. For matches have been using PMC 115 (131 PF) and American Eagle 115. The AE shoots about three inch groups at 25 and the PMC more like five inches. 

Just interesting to me....maybe federal had a bad batch?