Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Single Stack Class

Midas

Hello,

I will be purchasing my first 1911 soon so I can participate New Single Stack Division. Well I also want a 1911. I put my name in 18 months ago for a Valtro but I'm not sure if that will happen any time soon.

What do you guys suggest for a 1911 for around 1000.00 dollars that would be a good to send to a Gunsmith to have it tuned for reliability.

Considering that I can't get everything here in California what do you recommend.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

Ca, eh? Well, if you want new, your shopping list is on the CA DoJ Web Site. But then you probably already know that. Guys like the Springfields and Kimbers. Les Baer stuff is nice but I think they cost more than what you want to spend. I guess it depends on how much your 'smith and parts cost. There are a lot of guys here on the forum that could give you a rough idea on how much it would cost to bring a factory gun up to speed.

Good Luck,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

One could buy a Kimber - though consider this: if you shoot USPSA, Kimber does NOTHING for us even when asked. They refuse to provide any sort of sponsorship while most other major 1911 makers support the shooting sports.

If you shoot IDPA, then Kimber treats IDPA with the same lack of respect. I will NEVER own a Kimber for that reason alone, but there are other reasons to avoid them (see below)

What companies support IDPA or USPSA?

-Springfield Armory

-Smith & Wesson

-Dan Wesson/CZ-USA

-STI/SV

-Para Ordnance

-And several others (feel free to post the names & a little info about companies that support us since I am sure I left some good folks out).

As for reliability, its a well known fact the Kimber makes many of their parts out of cheap powdered metal (saves a few $$$). Its called "MIM" - an its true that many makers uses such parts; these parts "may' work. However, the process Kimber uses has lead to some broken MIM parts that I have personally seen come back for repair - including a thumb safety and one slide stop. Yet another reason I will not give my $$ to Kimber.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

I'd buy a "loaded" Springfield Armory and have the work done by Rich Dettlehouser at Canyon Creek.

canyon-creek.com

I sent him mine and he did a great job... checkered front strap, dove tail front sight, blended mag well, trigger job and all with an unheard of turn around time!

No, he didn't pay me to say this. He doesn't even know me.

Good Luck

:D

+1 on a Loaded Springfield but mine came with a dovetailed front and Bomar copy rear. Save on the front strap checkering and use TruGrips with AlumaGrips add your own S&A magwell w/17# mainspring and you can come in well under your $1000. Mine has some MIM parts in it but the trigger break is pretty clean around 4#, after a couple 1000 rounds I will evaluate what to do about the trigger/hammer combination. With a magwell it helps to have magpads, keeping in mind that it has to fit in a box.

• STI, because I love Dave Skinner and they've done a lot for the shooting sports, except they NEVER advertise on my show! I love my .40 Trojan, and I would like to roast 90% of the magazine manufacturers over a VERY slow fire!

• SIGARMS (yes, they are an advertiser!), because I just got back from shooting a bunch of their new Revolution 1911s at the factory and they are EXCELLENT guns — just say "no" to MIM! Plus, SIG, through Paul Erhardt, is taking an increasingly large role in the shooting sports. I ordered a railless two-tone Revolution with the intent of shooting it in the SS Nationals.

• S&W, because I did the GUNSITE 250 class with a scandium-framed Commander (their GUNSITE special) and was so impressed with the gun that I bought it on the spot. 800 rounds...no malfunctions or quirks and good enough to let me clean the drills.

Michael B

One could buy a Kimber - though consider this: if you shoot USPSA, Kimber does NOTHING for us even when asked. They refuse to provide any sort of sponsorship while most other major 1911 makers support the shooting sports.

D.C. Johnson

As mentioned above, NOTHING for USPSA obviously doesn't take into account the full page color back cover on Front Sight, every month, for how many years now? Maybe they don't show at matches, but they do contribute; of course, they could do more..... much more ;)

Edited by sfinney

If I understand your question, you want to spend $1,000 and then send the gun to a smith for reliability? Why?

A lot of the reliability argument goes back to the 70s when guns didn't have lowered ejection ports or were finicky about ammo. Most new 1911s are already reliable, at least in terms of modifications. My suggestion is to first decide on the "must-haves," adjustable versus fixed sights, ambi-safety, front strap checkering, etc. After you have found a gun in your price range, check out the reliability and then decide if a smith needs to touch it. A lot of new guns are hit or miss in terms of reliability, but are a lot more are hit rather than miss. Invest in some good mags (CMC or Wilson), which is where a lot of the reliability issues comes from.

All the major 1911 manufacturers make decent products, such as Kimber, Springfield, S&W, Sig, etc. For service, S&W can't be beat. Springfield service is also good. I'm not so sure about Kimber, unlless they cleaned up their act recently.

Instead of spending about $1000 and then getting it gunsmithed why don't you start with a semi-custom gun, it will run you more, but so will getting one gunsmithed.

I have been using my Nowlin for the past 3 years in IDPA CDP and USPSA L10, for about $1600.

A Les Baer TR model, Wilson CQB, Ed Brown Kobra, Rock River Limited Match or

Spend about $450-$500 on a Springfield Mil-Spec and have it gunsmithed with the sights you want, trigger, beavertail, magwell, bushing barrel and safeties.

Another gun you might check out is the Colt Special Combat, it is a Custom Shop 80 series Colt with S&A magwell, Kings Beavertail, Bo-mar rear adjustable, Kings Ambi's, Heinie dovetailed fron sight, hand honed action and they run about $1200-1500.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/Special.asp

I have owned STI, Springfield, and Kimber 1911s in various calibers and while all were good guns if I were gonna shoot the single stack division I would without a doubt have something built by a reputable gunsmith. I say this because every 1911 I owned I ended up spending and spending to make it exactly what I wanted. So in the long run I think you are better off to build what you want and get it right the FIRST time. Don't skimp on a part just because it's a little cheaper than something else, go with good parts and build a gun exactly how YOU want it. You may actually save money in the long run. Clint

Why we can't just enourage people to come shoot with whatever 1911 SS they have or can reasonably afford - they will figure out if they have enough gun on their own, after shooting a few matches, and get more comfortable with it.

And whats wrong with starting with a $600 gun and getting it custumized over time, as you determine which features you want? Sure it costs more in the long run over a Les Baer, Trojan, or custom shop gun, but sometimes having your gun smithed the way you want a little at a time is just plain more fun.

Not every 1911 has to be "Top Fuel" to be fun. I'm going to shoot my near box stock Kimber Custom that I paid $500 for several years ago, it works as well (better actually), and as accurate, as any high end custom I've owned..... just luck of the draw I guess.

Having said that, if having a $3000 single stack makes you happy, more power to you. :D Just don't tell people (especially new shooters) they won't be competitive unless they have one too. <_<

Regardless of which 1911 you choose, get good mags, spend the rest of your money making it RELIABLE, and have fun. Everything else is just fluff.

Edited by sfinney

Why we can't just enourage people to come shoot with whatever 1911 SS they have or can reasonably afford - they will figure out if they have enough gun on their own, after shooting a few matches, and get more comfortable with it.

And whats wrong with starting with a $600 gun and getting it custumized over time, as you determine which features you want? Sure it costs more in the long run over a Les Baer, Trojan, or custom shop gun, but sometimes having your gun smithed the way you want a little at a time is just plain more fun.

Not every 1911 has to be "Top Fuel" to be fun. I'm going to shoot my near box stock Kimber Custom that I paid $500 for several years ago, it works as well (better actually), and as accurate, as any high end custom I've owned..... just luck of the draw I guess.

Having said that, if having a $3000 single stack makes you happy, more power to you. :D Just don't tell people (especially new shooters) they won't be competitive unless they have one too. <_<

Regardless of which 1911 you choose, get good mags, spend the rest of your money making it RELIABLE, and have fun. Everything else is just fluff.

Good stuff... But...if someone asks for opinions? Gather all the available information then make an informed decision based on whatever you glean from the various inputs.

Edited by Merlin Orr

But...if someone asks for opinions? Gather all the available information then make an informed decision based on whatever you glean from the various inputs.

I couldn't agree more.... I have high end guns, and stock guns...... I enjoy something different about all of them. Each to his own...... buy the most gun you can afford is almost always good advice.

:)

D.C. Johnson

As mentioned above, NOTHING for USPSA obviously doesn't take into account the full page color back cover on Front Sight, every month, for how many years now? Maybe they don't show at matches, but they do contribute; of course, they could do more..... much more ;)

+1