Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lyman pro 4 die set

So I just bought a Dillon RL1100 and all the stuff that goes along with starting to reload. To not have to wait for back order i ordered it with the 40 cal dies. Also ordered the caliber change kit thing. I did back order the Dillon 9mm die set but the rep from DAA suggested going with the Lyman pro 4 die set since it's in stock. From what I can tell they look much different then the dillon ones and are a good bit more expensive. I'm fine with spending extra money for in stock but this jump in price is a good bit. Are they really better then the dillon 3 die set? Or a Lee 3 die set? 

(This is my very first reloading adventure so I am still a bit lost with all the fancy stuff. Had help from a shooting buddy with figuring out what all to get so far)

Thanks,

Josh

Dillon has a three die set (decap/sizer, seating, and crimp).  The Lyman seems like it has what the Dillon three die set has, but it adds a hold down die.  You'd get the hold down die with a caliber conversion kit.  You are going to want a 9mm caliber conversion kit (P/N 14406).

The Lyman pro die set looks great with the micrometer adjustment feature.  Dillon's would be carbide, but the Lyman's are stainless steel except for parts of the sizing die. I wouldn't think that would make a ton of difference in the long run, but I'm sure others would have a better idea than I would.

The way things are going these days if you can get a die set from where ever and get yourself up and running that is something to consider as a positive.

As you go through your reloading experience evolution you will almost certainly end up buying dies from a number of different manufacturers.

The Lyman Pro 4 die set is premium priced. The equivalent Lee 4 die set is at a lower price point.  Others are in between. They will all do the job. However pricing is irrelevant if the product is not available.

There are a number of die makers out there. They all work for the most part except when they don't. People have their favorites. I use Lee dies but I've used Dillon and I would use Dillon or Redding or Lyman if I needed a die and that was the only source I could get it from and I wouldn't waste a whole lot of sleep over it.

Thanks for the info guys! I'm excited to get everything set up and start doing it myself. Currently a buddy is doing the reloading for me but he has to switch back and forth on his 750 to do his and my ammo. 

15 hours ago, Furrly said:

Optical planet has 4 sets in stock in 9mm..for what it's worth we all know OP inventory issues. 

Oh I know all about their "in stock" claims. 

Well went ahead and ordered the Lyman promise set. I figured I spent the money on the really nice 1100, mr bullet feeder, wet tumbler and all that may as well get the really nice die set too. 

Sometimes I wonder if I play this game so I can get really cool toys or if I actually love shooting. 🤣🤣

14 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

Sometimes I wonder if I play this game so I can get really cool toys or if I actually love shooting. 🤣🤣

Yes! 😁
I sometimes have a die from every manf in the turret. They all do the same job, just some do it better.