Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Cylinder Size

SSGGlock

S&W 929-So I was reading about loading for a revolver, and ended up with .358" from Clang and Bang. If what I read is correct( and please don't beat me up to much on terminology), you should slug the throat of the cylinder( in my case .357), and then use .001" larger in the chamber(.358 for me). So now I'm trying to determine OAL, I've seen some folks load to 1.2", but I've been playing and have determined I can load as long as 2.25 AOL before the bullet is contacting the throat. Would this be to long for a 929 load? 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

Would this be to long for a 929 load? 

Yes, no need to load that long. Don't go any longer than 1.2 or you might have bullet creep. You need some of the bullet inside the case.

Loading to 2.25 will just force you to use more powder when you can get by with 1.2” and have better bullet seating and maintain a pretty tame load.  What grain bullet 147,  160??

S&W 929-So I was reading about loading for a revolver, and ended up with .358" from Clang and Bang. If what I read is correct( and please don't beat me up to much on terminology), you should slug the throat of the cylinder( in my case .357), and then use .001" larger in the chamber(.358 for me). So now I'm trying to determine OAL, I've seen some folks load to 1.2", but I've been playing and have determined I can load as long as 2.25 AOL before the bullet is contacting the throat. Would this be to long for a 929 load? 

147 gr, and I agree about OAL around 1.2", should definitely help with bullet creep. Am looking forward to trying these new bullets, also have some Blue Bullets on order, .358" 147 gr., both should help with sealing gases and leading.

Edited by tomjerry1
spelling

5 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

147 gr, and I agree about OAL around 1.2", should definitely help with bullet creep. Am looking forward to trying these new bullets, also have some Blue Bullets on order, .358" 147 gr., both should help with sealing gases and leading.

I shot 147gr Blues and loved them!!!  It’s been shown they have changed the profile recently (RN) and it should make tossing them into the cylinder even smoother. 

917B6F78-E023-4A5A-A805-B464DF052BD1.jpeg

7 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

have some Blue Bullets on order, .358" 147 gr., both should help with sealing gases and leading.

Yep, that's what I load

Name: 9mm: 148gr Blue RN: Clays 3.05gr: Win Case: OAL 1.20: S&W 929

Notes: S&W 929

Shots: 4
Average: 882 ft/s
SD: 10 ft/s
Min: 871 ft/s
Max: 897 ft/s

Spread: 26 ft/s

Power Factor Average: 130
Power Factor Low: 128
Power Factor High: 132

Barometric Pressure: 29 in Hg
Temperature: 67 F
Weight: 148.0 gr.

Powder/Wt: Clays/3.05gr
Bullet/Wt: Blue 148gr RN
Primer: Fed SPP
Case: Win
OAL: 1.20
Gun: S&W 929 / 5" barrel

YSRRACER- Is that 3.05 gr. of Clays or 3.5 gr.?

To anyone wanting to ream a Ti cylinder - The coating is very hard and will ruin a HSS chamber reamer. You have to use a carbide reamer for that.

53 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

YSRRACER- Is that 3.05 gr. of Clays or 3.5 gr.?

To anyone wanting to ream a Ti cylinder - The coating is very hard and will ruin a HSS chamber reamer. You have to use a carbide reamer for that.

3.00 plus a few flakes. My digital scale reads 3.05

IT'S NOT 3.50,(it's not 3-1/2)

Why would you want to ream the cylinder?

The throat is the front portion of the chamber that lines up the bullet before going to the forcing cone on the barrel. Some were talking about reaming the throats from .357 to .358, which is a common thing to do for accurizing.

I thought(I read), that the .001 from the chamber to the throat is for accuracy, and gases blowing by. I don't know for sure yet, just loaded some .358 147 gr Band & Clang, will know, hopefully, in a day or two. 

I have an early 929 which I ran 147gr .355/.356 with no issues and good accuracy.  Slugged it and found it was .357.  I now run .358 160gr Bayou’s and it shoots even better.  I then recrowned the barrel and accuracy is where a performance center piece should have been to begin with…. 

NoSteel, So you like the 160gr weight better? I have used .356 147gr plated, accuracy is okay? but what really bothers me, is the bullets walking out of the cases while firing. I'm hoping that using a .358 coated will stop this from happening, and the accuracy should get better. 160gr may help more, should be a longer bullet, more for the case to hold on to.

6 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

NoSteel, So you like the 160gr weight better? I have used .356 147gr plated, accuracy is okay? but what really bothers me, is the bullets walking out of the cases while firing. I'm hoping that using a .358 coated will stop this from happening, and the accuracy should get better. 160gr may help more, should be a longer bullet, more for the case to hold on to.

I wasn’t seeing issues when I ran 147gr just noted there was a large contingent in the nationals survey using 160gr.  Tried it and liked the way they run and the added weight helps the clip fall into place in the cylinder.   I have never run anything but coated Bullets in the 929 but the plated Bullets I’m sure would be able to slip out of th case easier without more crimp.  I have only run a few steel matches with the 160gr and some practice range time but have seen no creep issues at all.  Recoil,  Almost like shooting a .22…..

Thank you for the info, what powder are you using? I have Vectan 9.5 at 3.6gr and am going to use 1.2 OAL. I'm going to try and get to the range tomorrow and chrono this load and see how it shoots. What size moon clips are you using? I've got .035, .037, and .040 using win brass, they seem to like the .040 clips.

59 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

Thank you for the info, what powder are you using? I have Vectan 9.5 at 3.6gr and am going to use 1.2 OAL. I'm going to try and get to the range tomorrow and chrono this load and see how it shoots. What size moon clips are you using? I've got .035, .037, and .040 using win brass, they seem to like the .040 clips.

.040 with Win brass was too tight for me. I went with .035 with Federal. 

A little wiggle worked out better for me.

Edited by ysrracer

Just got back from the range, good and bad. Accuracy with the .358 bullets has increased, but the bullets continue to walk out of the cases, probably about 20 to 25 thousands on the seventh and eighth rounds. I crimped these to .380 but need more, how much are you folks crimping coated bullets? With 3.6gr of Vectan 9.5, I'm attaining 125 to 128 PF, need to bump a grain. I do believe I am going to try some 160 gr bullets, maybe more bullet to grip the case?

41 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

Just got back from the range, good and bad. Accuracy with the .358 bullets has increased, but the bullets continue to walk out of the cases, probably about 20 to 25 thousands on the seventh and eighth rounds. I crimped these to .380 but need more, how much are you folks crimping coated bullets? With 3.6gr of Vectan 9.5, I'm attaining 125 to 128 PF, need to bump a grain. I do believe I am going to try some 160 gr bullets, maybe more bullet to grip the case?

I use the Lee U die also.

I crimp all of my 9mm at .376 regardless of the dia. I am shooting. I shoot .355, .356 and in my 929 .358 (coated) and /or .3575 (powder coated).

.376 crimp is what I have found the average of several brands of factory ammo crimped at.

No creep for me either.

I crimp my 9mm and 38 short colts to .370" to .371" with coated bullets.  With the 38 short colt and coated bullets at .370" I don't see any significant back out and accuracy is what I expect (under 2" at 25 yards and just shot a group at 50 yards standing of 4").