• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

The end play on my cylinder is tight, but a good thought. I believe I'm going to seat the bullet a little deeper, am 1.2" and going to go to 1.15". The Lee Factory crimp has been the largest facto in reducing the bullet creep.

When I went under 1.2 I had issues with case bulge.

1 hour ago, tomjerry1 said:

The end play on my cylinder is tight, but a good thought. I believe I'm going to seat the bullet a little deeper, am 1.2" and going to go to 1.15". The Lee Factory crimp has been the largest facto in reducing the bullet creep.

1.170" with a 160 grain bullet gave me an occasional case bulge, I've since settled on 1.180 to 1.185 oal with 160's.

I could go shorter with lighter bullets though.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finally got everything where I want it. This last weekend, I shot my 929 in a match, and the pistol and ammunition operated flawlessly. I shot two bullets, Blue Bullet 38/357 (.358) 147 gr and Bang and Clang 38/357 (.358). 145 gr. Also incorporated a Lee factory crimp die into the mix. My issue with the bullets creeping seems to have been resolved, checked every round left on the moon clips after a reloads, no movement. Both bullets are accurate, but the Blues are just a little tighter. Now I believe I will address the extra 1.5" of barrel hanging out there?

Just now, tomjerry1 said:

Well, finally got everything where I want it. This last weekend, I shot my 929 in a match, and the pistol and ammunition operated flawlessly. I shot two bullets, Blue Bullet 38/357 (.358) 147 gr and Bang and Clang 38/357 (.358). 145 gr. Also incorporated a Lee factory crimp die into the mix. My issue with the bullets creeping seems to have been resolved, checked every round left on the moon clips after a reloads, no movement. Both bullets are accurate, but the Blues are just a little tighter. Now I believe I will address the extra 1.5" of barrel hanging out there?

Cool.

Yes, it took me a while to find out what my 929/me liked. I settled on Federal brass, Federal Small Pistol Primers, Blue 147 Bullet, TK .035 moon clips, Lee U die, with Lee dies.

As opposed to my 627, which, I bought the gun, bought some ammo, and shot it :)

ymmv

3 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Didn't you have your 929 cut down to 5"? how do you like it compared to the stock 6"?

I like it. I think it handles much better, and feels like my 627. Plus it got rid of the goofy looking front end :)