Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 moon clips / Win brass questions

ysrracer

I've switched over to my 929 for a while. I'm using .035 moon clips with Win 9mm brass.

Most of the rounds will spin in the moon clip. And the clip will fall right into the cylinder.

However sometimes I get a really tight round, and the loaded moon won't drop in.

Is that what you guys that are using Win brass in your 929 are seeing?

On 5/8/2021 at 9:17 PM, vvshooter said:

My win brass is loose in the .35s. What moons are you using?

Thanks,

TK moon clips. .040 was too tight. What brand are you using?

Edited by ysrracer

Yes!  I started using WIN brass from the start when I got my 929 as I had a decent amount of it once fired. Using .035"  clips I found that if I had problems with a full clip dropping in the cylinder there was usually a round that didn't spin in the clip.  Not sure if it is an out of spec piece of brass or the extractor groove was damaged when it was fired (in an autoloader) the first time?  I now have the habit if checking for spin when I load my clips and just make sure I discard the specific case after firing. That way I cull out the bad brass and the issue doesn't happen much anymore.  

1 hour ago, Intel6 said:

Yes!  I started using WIN brass from the start when I got my 929 as I had a decent amount of it once fired. Using .035"  clips I found that if I had problems with a full clip dropping in the cylinder there was usually a round that didn't spin in the clip.  Not sure if it is an out of spec piece of brass or the extractor groove was damaged when it was fired (in an autoloader) the first time?  I now have the habit if checking for spin when I load my clips and just make sure I discard the specific case after firing. That way I cull out the bad brass and the issue doesn't happen much anymore.  

Especially if one is using range 9mm brass!  You can run into damaged rims and swollen cases, due to 9mm major.  If I was using a 929 I'd definitely get virgin brass of a brand that'd work best and use it "only" in matches.  Range brass from "my" 9mm's would be used for practice and I've gotten into the habit of never retrieving 9mm brass from a match.  But I tend to be OCD too.

Probably OCD.  The first batch of Blazer I loaded 10 times.  Probably ~7000pcs. Some was from an indoor range where it’s mostly new shooters with new brass but early on I was getting whatever I could get my hands on.  Including some from a LIII.    So some were maybe 15+ loadings. I started to get *some* cracked rounds but maybe 1 or 2 per 1000 and I could shoot those anyway in practice.

Admittedly I have a roll sizer.  I also run brass through an automated 650 to deprime and size.  If there was rim damage it would catch in the feed to station one and get crunched.  At least I think that was why, still very very  minimal.  Most rim damage if it happens comes from when it’s loaded on the moon clip.  It can be cut out with an exacto knife if need be. 

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Probably OCD.  The first batch of Blazer I loaded 10 times.  Probably ~7000pcs. Some was from an indoor range where it’s mostly new shooters with new brass but early on I was getting whatever I could get my hands on.  Including some from a LIII.    So some were maybe 15+ loadings. I started to get *some* cracked rounds but maybe 1 or 2 per 1000 and I could shoot those anyway in practice.

Admittedly I have a roll sizer.  I also run brass through an automated 650 to deprime and size.  If there was rim damage it would catch in the feed to station one and get crunched.  At least I think that was why, still very very  minimal.  Most rim damage if it happens comes from when it’s loaded on the moon clip.  It can be cut out with an exacto knife if need be. 

Roll sizer with 9mm range brass of unknown origin, or if one has a 9 major, would solve a lot of issues!

Ok, I did a little experimenting. Multi time fired (in an auto pistol) Winchester brass is just too tight in my .035 TK moon clips.

On the other hand, Federal multi time fired (in an auto pistol) brass seems to work better for me.

I'm going to load up a few rounds, and check it out. But so far it looks promising.

For TK nickel WIN is unusable then brass WIN.

FED and Blazer are in the Goldilocks zone 

RP and S&B are super loose.  I’ve had some fall off the moons, especially RP.  For somewhat useless info,  RP uses some nasty priming compound.  I wet tumble deprimed brass with pins.  RP pockets never get as clean as all other brands.

3 minutes ago, pyrrhic3gun said:

Just put a medium cratex cylinder on your dremel and go to town.  A few passes on the offending clips will fix them.  

Maybe.  :^)

Ha ha, you funny guy Joe :)

On 5/9/2021 at 6:55 PM, ysrracer said:

Ok, I did a little experimenting. Multi time fired (in an auto pistol) Winchester brass is just too tight in my .035 TK moon clips.

On the other hand, Federal multi time fired (in an auto pistol) brass seems to work better for me.

I'm going to load up a few rounds, and check it out. But so far it looks promising.

I loaded up some roll sized Federal cases with Blue Bullets 147 ( really 148) .357 bullets with 2.6gr of Clays, 1.190 OAL.

They just barely make power factor, but more importantly they drop in to the cylinder easily with .035 TK moon clips.

Ok, here's what I found. For me, 9mm Federal brass works best with TK moon clips, and Winchester 9mm brass works best Ranch Products moon clips.

Both setups allow the brass to spin in the clips, and easily drop into the cylinder.

Ranch Products moon clips are about 1/4 the cost of TK moon clips.