Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backup to STI DVC Limited

Jeremyc_1999

I’ve been thinking about getting a backup pistol to my SVI DVC limited. I usually just shoot level one uspsa matches and it wouldn’t be needed, but who doesn’t like getting another gun. My questions are

Should I wait until I shoot more larger matches to get a backup gun?

Should I get another DVC limited or if it varies a bit, does it really matter? There are a few used guns in the classifieds that would fit the budget quite nicely 

Should I wait until I can get a nicer main gun and make my STI DVC my backup?

Most new shooters would benefit more from a couple thousand dollars worth of practice ammo, a training course, as few bigger matches.... Have you ever not been able to finish a match because your gun broke? In 10k rounds through an Edge, I've been to the safety table once to tighten the grip screws.

If the shoots I attend are any indication you will need a backup for your DVC sooner rather than later.  I'd get one.  A used 'nicer' gun is a better option.  One of the things I would caution is to make your backup gun as close to your main gun as possible.  Same grips and grip angle, same sights, etc.  When you grab your backup during a match you are doing so cold.  There is no time to adapt to a different feel or sight picture.    I speak from experience.

I only shoot local matches, infrequently at best. But you never think you need a backup gun until you actually need a backup gun. 

Unless you always have a buddy with you who can loan you a gun because your rear sight broke, I would say it's worth having something just in case.

If you have the money, I say go for it. Pick up something used and you can probably get your money back when it's time to upgrade.

1 hour ago, blasterboy said:

Most new shooters would benefit more from a couple thousand dollars worth of practice ammo, a training course, as few bigger matches.... Have you ever not been able to finish a match because your gun broke? In 10k rounds through an Edge, I've been to the safety table once to tighten the grip screws.

I take 6-8 classes a year and shoot about 15k rounds. This wouldn’t affect my current shooting or training budget 

22 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I've had backup guns and have yet to use one in a match.  With the current cost of ammo, the suggestion to put your $$ towards ammo is probably a good one.

I have enough Ammo to get through this year.  This purchase would not affect my current ammo budget 

1 hour ago, zzt said:

If the shoots I attend are any indication you will need a backup for your DVC sooner rather than later.  I'd get one.  A used 'nicer' gun is a better option.  One of the things I would caution is to make your backup gun as close to your main gun as possible.  Same grips and grip angle, same sights, etc.  When you grab your backup during a match you are doing so cold.  There is no time to adapt to a different feel or sight picture.    I speak from experience.

I would definitely be staying in the 2011 platform and would silica carbide my grips (that is what my current gun is) I’m note wondering if I ended up going with a 6” gun or a 5” gun and something without a full dust cover vs a full dust cover 

2 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I would definitely be staying in the 2011 platform and would silica carbide my grips (that is what my current gun is) I’m note wondering if I ended up going with a 6” gun or a 5” gun and something without a full dust cover vs a full dust cover 

I guess it depends on how adaptable you are. For me, not so much.  Having had to use backup twice in the past, each different from my main gun, I learned my lesson.  I'm just finishing building a duplicate of my main gun as a backup.  Remember, you are shooting from muscle memory.  Anything that is different distracts you, and that slows you down at least for a while.

You need another sti dvc. Identical. I strongly believe that you need minimum two Identical guns regardless of the division. One for practice,  another for matches. 

Edited by cheby

I've got 5 inch guns and 6 inch guns. And I've swapped between them more than I'd say is ideal. My 5 inch guns and my 6 inch guns shoot differently sure, but I have enough comfort and confidence with them that it doesn't make a huge difference in my low level performance. 

If you're looking to win majors, I'd get as close to twins as possible. If you're shooting locals, I think you'll be fine with whatever you find as a backup. 

Hello, I have two 2011 5' pistols and a 2011 6" pistol. I have shot both 5" guns in a local match for fun and also each of the 5" guns with the 6" gun. 5" are a bull barrel long dust cover like an Edge and the other is a standard dust cover with a bushing barrel. I say get a different pistol to see what you actually like more and to find out what shoot better for you. Thanks, Eric

From the DVC pistols I've seen in the shop...... I'd get a used gun built by someone who actually knows how to fit the parts together. Atlas, SVI, Cheely ect... then shoot that as main gun and put the DVC as back up. 

14 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, I have two 2011 5' pistols and a 2011 6" pistol. I have shot both 5" guns in a local match for fun and also each of the 5" guns with the 6" gun. 5" are a bull barrel long dust cover like an Edge and the other is a standard dust cover with a bushing barrel. I say get a different pistol to see what you actually like more and to find out what shoot better for you. Thanks, Eric

Also great advice.

One of the reasons I bought every single configuration of gun was to explore what I liked and didn't like. Would have never discovered my love of 6 inch sight radius and balance of short dust cover/bushing barrel without it.

15 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I haven't thought about that before

You really don't have to buy every conceivable type of pistol to see what you like better.    All you have to do is ask at the club.  I've never been refused a request to handle a pistol and/or shoot it.  Most shooters are happy to let you,  tell you what they think, what they like, and what they might change.  That is exactly how I know I can't stand a 6" bull barrel, long wide dust cover Limited gun.  Geez, it feels like you are swing a log.  Having tried so many guns I know I want the balance point right over the index finger of my weak hand.

5 hours ago, zzt said:

You really don't have to buy every conceivable type of pistol to see what you like better.    All you have to do is ask at the club.  I've never been refused a request to handle a pistol and/or shoot it.  Most shooters are happy to let you,  tell you what they think, what they like, and what they might change.  That is exactly how I know I can't stand a 6" bull barrel, long wide dust cover Limited gun.  Geez, it feels like you are swing a log.  Having tried so many guns I know I want the balance point right over the index finger of my weak hand.

But buying is more fun!  Right now I travel about 3 hrs for matches unless it is a local one and then I’m helping set up and tear down. I definitely will keep my open with other limited shooters to see what they have 

3 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

But buying is more fun!  Right now I travel about 3 hrs for matches unless it is a local one and then I’m helping set up and tear down. I definitely will keep my open with other limited shooters to see what they have 

more is always the right answer!  yeah don't hesitate to ask others to fondle their guns after a match, never heard of anyone saying no.