Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting my first steel match. Any tips?

bababoris

I will also be shooting it using my P80 G35 due to technical difficulties with my 40sw STI.  Any tips or things to keep in mind for shooting steel?  I assume it will be various steel plates, Texas stars, etc….  going to be a fun time I am sure.

Have fun and enjoy the experience.  Just remember to listen to the overview from the MD.  Some outlaw matches will have some different rules/shot count depending on the size and shape of steel used.  I doubt their doing multiple shots on steel with the ammo shortage though.

On steel, you have to be patient with the sight picture. If it's a borderline shot, don't take it. It might feel "slower" but it's not about speed, it's about vision. Make sure you see the sights and are sure of the shot before pulling the trigger. 

Try to come up with a cadence for the stage.   Some stages have natural doubles, some have a consistent cadence across all plates.    Watch and listen to the shooters ahead of you.     If your first match, don't even worry about time.   Listen to the RO commands, try for good hits and have fun.   You will leave frustrated if you are worried about time your first few matches.

Steel makes me want to get a 22 and spend a bunch of time working on the mechanics.

I have a club 30mins away where I can setup a bay for practice on non event days.

Both people that suggested different approaches are correct.

You have to go fast, yet you want to not mike bc that screws with your flow.

Lots of little things to work out for yourself mean you’ll need to shoot an event, then go off and practice a bunch.

Edited by somebrains

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 6:56 PM, Xanatos903 said:

Funny contrast between the two last comments. 

Not as much. One comment is about not missing, the other is about not waiting for the sound confirmation. Both are about not wasting time.