Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best pistol for a 12 year old to grow in the sport.

JunotFranco

My 12 y/o son is wanting to start pistol shooting. I have a Beretta 92X Performance collecting dust at home and I was thinking about letting him use it for production and eventually Limited minor (the 92X Performance can start single action with safety on) until he is ready for a true limited or open gun.  What are your thoughts?? Thanks!

Edited by JunotFranco

It'll likely really depend on hand size and strength. Find something that fits his hand, where he can reach all the controls, and be able to handle the recoil. If he can use your 92x, great, if not it's time to go shopping. 

If it fits his hands... I haven't handled that Beretta model but the Berettas that I have handled had pretty bulky grips. Bulky enough that I didn't like them with my not-all-that-large adult hands. The smallest grip that I can remember was on the CZ 75.

I second the get him started in steel challenge post. I started my son in steel challenge at 10. We shot it for two years before moving him to uspsa, it worked out well because he was used to all the range commands and start buzzer. Last year he shot his first year of uspsa and did so very safely, I have primarily stressed the safety part of completing, I figure if he's truly interested and is having fun that speed will come. I don't get too hung up on trivial things for someone his age, such as having the best stage plan, if the stage can be shot from 3 positions but he makes it 6, it's not a big deal at this point it's more about him being safe and having fun while learning.

He started with a .22 in steel challenge, which I think was a good choice, when he started in uspsa I got him a sig 320. The ergonomics fit him well and with a guide rod that accepts 1911 springs you can start out loading reduced power ammo for the transition.

The only caveat I have is that if you let them start with a dot, good luck ever getting them to shoot irons.

A 92X might be a little big for a 12 year old unless he already has pretty big hands.  A Sig 320 might be good - you can start out with the smaller grip modules and gradually put bigger ones on if he sticks with it.  I know it's not the most ideal for limited, but it can certainly work.  

Also thirding Steel Challenge as a start.  It's a great intro to the shooting sports and also a lot of fun. However, if you think he's safe enough, it's fine to put him in a USPSA match and just go from there.

Edited by UpYoursPal

FWIW, I RO lots of steel challenge matches.  I see a lot of dads bring their youngish sons, and a few daughters to shoot.  Some of the dads don't shoot, or have never shot, but want to introduce their sons to the sport.  Everyone, and I do mean everyone looks out for them, allows the dad to coach unless he requests the RO to, and cheers when he has a good run.  Sometimes they are nervous at first.  I calm them, tell them there is no rush and just concentrate on safety and shooting.  I think all the positive reinforcement helps, because they come time and time again.

For USPSA, that doesn't work as well.  You can feel the nerves when a new or newish youngster is up.    I'll tell you what one enterprising dad does.   Setup generally starts at 8 AM.  Hammer down is usually 11 AM.  Registration is usually 10 AM, so there is a lot of time between the stages being done and hammer down.  One dad bring his son and runs him through the stage(s) in dry fire mode.  He gets to do everything a shooter does except put holes in targets.  Another dad did the same for his daughter, then switched to setting up practice stages for her to work on what she though were her shortcomings.  That was after she started shooting USPSA.

I'll tell you exactly what not to do.  Do not show up at your first match without knowing all the rules.  I've had to DQ a half dozen first time shooters for safety infractions.  None of them ever returned.

I recommend the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite. It's very accurate, light enough  for a 12 year old to carry and there are lots of upgrade parts should you want them.  

As your son progresses you can add a compensator, red dot sight, different grips, thumb safety, extended safety etc.  Volquartsen and Tandemkross have everything you need.

Stock Ruger Mark IV Bronce.jpg