Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.380 case bulge when flaring

MAC10

hello,

have a problem i have never encountered before in my 35+yrs of reloading.

i started flaring some .380 cases. i have adjusted the dies as i always have.  i started with the screw backed out and gradually screwed it in

until i just had a slight flair ( and by slight, i mean it still did not let the bullet set on the case w/o wobble ).

i proceeded to screw the adjuster down a tad further to get just a tad more. then lowering the ram i looked at the case

and it had a bulge in it. i tried to adjust the screw out and in a few more time but if i adj. it so there is no flare, the bullet does

not sit on the case as it should. if i adj. it to to where i normally do for any other case, 9mm 45acp etc., it want to bulge it.

i searched this problem and saw a post where it says that some .380 die sets, the expander may be too long. if that is the case,

how would i rectify this situation. btw, the bulge is always the same distance from the top of the case. and is appx. about where the base

of the bullet would be after seating.

thanks for any helpful insight.

this brass was from Capitol Cartridge ( once fired fully processed brass ) . no, not the first time i have used these dies.

used once before to reload for someone else. doing the same this time for someone else also. and before, i used once fired brass too.

i checked the headstamp of these pieces of brass that have a bulge and it does not seem to matter what brand they are. ( all random )

Since you have used the die before maybe try brass from a different source or could it be possible you grabbed the wrong die?

Try running the brass through your sizing die and then see if it still happens and I'm clutching at straws here.

When you adjust to min flair but no bulge can you see or feel the flair? Have you checked it with a caliper? I’ve seen where there is adequate flair but the case is not round, slightly oval. Have noticed this mostly on 9mm. The bullets will fit but very tightly and will generally scrape a coated one. I had to taper my expander on the tip a little to prevent over expanding of some cases even if the same brand. 

to answer a couple of questions, nope, not dumb enough to use the wrong die. i did try sizing a couple over again. no change.

i`m under the assumption that the brass my be weak as i saw in another forum or...like farmer said, i may have to do something to the die.

also, i did check with a caliper and there is flair at min.  btw, i`m not using a progressive so there is no metal expander. i`m using a set

of redding dies.

So did you try seating the bullet. Then crimping (removing the flair).

Will it chamber? Will it fire.? Is this just undersized brass with a wasp (coke bottle ) shape?

Showing the base of the bullet.

Edited by AHI

I would start over again with the dies.  I would install the die and adjust slightly to get a very small amount of flair, then I would seat the bullet.  After seating the bullet, I would pull the bullet and look for signs of the case being under-fliared (bullet scraping off etc.)  I would also use my calipers and  measure the case flair before and after the flairing.  Since you are not using a  progressive press (assuming single stage?) It doesn't matter if the bullet doesn't sit correctly.  just hold the bullet onto the case until it goes into the die.  I do this on my single stage when loading rifle for precision when I don't want to crank them out on my XL650.  I also did this when I was loading a bunny fart load for Steel Challenge on my XL650.  I was loading a 380 head onto a 9mm case.