Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer that exports?

mniels

I randomly found the manual for the older version of the CED7000 Pro timer when doing a search for some Steel Challenge info.  It looks like this older model had a SC mode and you could export the data for tracking.  From what I can tell the newer model CED7000 does not support export (at least not in the same way.)

So, are there any timers out there that would integrally support SC?

8 hours ago, wchangose said:

The wait is long, but it's a very good timer.

^^^^^ This.  There is a BlueTooth interface to the Amazon Fire tablets so the two devices can "talk".

It picks up the pressure wave of the shot, not the sound so .22LR carbines in SC do not present a problem.  Unlike the other timers that you have to be right on top of the shooter to get the time recorded.

BC

49 minutes ago, zzt said:

I know the AMG allows Bluetooth push or pull to Practiscore run on a variety of devices.  I don't know if anything other than Practiscore can be used.

The AMG timer can be used as a standalone device without BT link.

Anyhow, what else besides PractiScore would you want to use with it? 🤔

Forgot to order mine before Christmas LOL! Ordered just now. Probably get it mid season. However, I do wish companies would proof read their correspondence:

"Hi Kevin, we're getting your shot timer built and it will take some little time before it ready to be shipped. We will notify you when it has been sent."

Sounds like Chinese directions often found in cheap products

10 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I think he literally builds them by hand. I swear he said that in That Shooting Show so I give him some patience if it takes a bit.

Read somewhere that the circuit board manufacturer was the bottleneck supplier.

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

Forgot to order mine before Christmas LOL! Ordered just now. Probably get it mid season. However, I do wish companies would proof read their correspondence:

"Hi Kevin, we're getting your shot timer built and it will take some little time before it ready to be shipped. We will notify you when it has been sent."

Sounds like Chinese directions often found in cheap products

@Sarge he's just making that 8+ weeks seem like "some little time before it ready" .  

Detroit Sportsmen's Congress is in the process of getting these as they order one or two a month.  A couple of members have one and they are really great for Steel Challenge matches that Bob Miller (from Ryan Rocks Outdoor Adventures) runs at Livingston Gun Club.  You don't have to enter the time for each string.  Just double check the "timer" icon on the tablet does not have a slash through it before the shooter starts.  

The only critical comment is the beep, even set at full volume, sometimes is not heard by people who have double plugged (soft in-ear plugs and non-electronic muffs) on the indoor range.  The RO has to hold the timer close to their ear protection with the timer's speaker side towards them.   In that position, the beep gets through both layers.

BC

20 hours ago, euxx said:

Anyhow, what else besides PractiScore would you want to use with it? 🤔

I can see how saving data to a spreadsheet might be nice.

Anyway, if it's Bluetooth, it's probably pretty easy to reverse-engineer. When mine comes in (ordered at the end of last year), I'll see if I can figure out the protocol.

2 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

I can see how saving data to a spreadsheet might be nice.

And then do what? Given that the PractiScore app is normally used in the context of some competition.

For practice there is PractiScore Log app. It is an one-time paid app, but it does have export to spreadsheet. Though I'm still not sure what you would do with it.

It's a bit faster than writing down five strings of a drill, I guess?

I'm not opposed to paid apps, but as a software engineer, I'm always willing to spend a bunch of time on doing something myself instead of spending a few bucks on the very same thing.

It's a bit faster than writing down five strings of a drill, I guess?

Eh? Export to Excel at the range? Remember, the PractiScore app is used during the match. It already writes all the strings down for you. You can see them on the review screen.

And all that does stay with the results. Of course to conveniently visualize that data you'd need another paid app (again, an one time paid app). But then, not everyone wants or needs to see them.

I'm not opposed to paid apps, but as a software engineer, I'm always willing to spend a bunch of time on doing something myself instead of spending a few bucks on the very same thing.

By all means. But when you bring up reverse-engineering it sounds more like you are not opposing to screwing someone else's work instead of doing your own research.

2 hours ago, euxx said:

Eh? Export to Excel at the range? Remember, the PractiScore app is used during the match. It already writes all the strings down for you. You can see them on the review screen.

People use timers outside of matches too. I'd guess that the average timer spends a lot more time used in practice than it does in matches.

2 hours ago, euxx said:

But when you bring up reverse-engineering it sounds more like you are not opposing to screwing someone else's work instead of doing your own research.

Figuring out the protocol the AMG timer uses to communicate sounds like research to me. If I think a few Saturdays of my time are worth it not to pay $15 for an app I can make myself, who are you to tell me that's wrong?

edit: especially since the AMG manual says I don't even have to figure it out, I can just ask for the documentation.

Commander has Bluetooth connectivity which allows shot times to be downloaded orstreamed into a smart phone or tablet for scoring or analysis. Commander utilizes a simpleand open protocol, which means any developer will be given access upon request.

Edited by Fishbreath

12 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

People use timers outside of matches too. I'd guess that the average timer spends a lot more time used in practice than it does in matches.

And that is why there is the PractiScore Log app

12 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

Figuring out the protocol the AMG timer uses to communicate sounds like research to me. If I think a few Saturdays of my time are worth it not to pay $15 for an app I can make myself, who are you to tell me that's wrong?

If you doing what you called "research" by "reverse-engineering" someone's else app (that is your own words), as a sole developer of those apps I have all the rights to tell you that is very wrong. As simple as that.

On a side note. One will be investing much more than $15 worth of time, materials, knowledge and energy for building any somewhat solid app and then maintaining it for its customers.

1 minute ago, euxx said:

If you doing what you called "research" by "reverse-engineering" someone's else app (that is your own words), as a sole developer of those apps I have all the rights to tell you that is very wrong. As simple as that.

Reverse-engineering the Bluetooth protocol used by the timer, which is what I was talking about, isn't the same thing as reverse-engineering an app. AMG Labs says they'll give the Bluetooth protocol away to anyone, even.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:51 PM, euxx said:

If you happen to be in NC this store has them in stock http://goshoot.com/product.amg-lab-commander-shot-timer-black-silicone-case

Well, just for giggles I called the fine folks at goshoot.com to see if they would ship. On the site they are listed as "Available in store."  I believe everyone was assuming that there was no chance they would ship.

Well, they will.  I also got permission to post here and let you guys know about it.  The shipping I was quoted was $9 for USPS and $15 for UPS.  Considering the current state of the postal service, I chose UPS.  I am still waiting on some items that were shipped Priority Mail over three weeks ago, and apparently that is par for the course these days.

They are selling them with the silicone case and lanyard for $168.95, and they have them in black, blue, red, and green.  So, if you have been debating picking one of these up, here is your chance to do it without the wait!  And in case you were wondering, I am not getting any kind of kickback posting this.  Wish I was, then I could afford primers!!!    🤑🤑🤑