Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What type of Lemi Shine???

SJBriggs

I'm not happy with the nasty primer pockets that I'm still getting with dry tumbling, so I'm going to try my hand at wet tumbling with pins. I see that a lot of folks are using Lemi Shine and Armor All Wash and Wax. Which Lemi Shine product is everyone using? I see all different types: Booster, detergent, shine, rinse...

Thanks in advance!

I use the booster, works fine. Your after the citric acid in it more than anything. My mix is Lemi shine, dawn and Turtle wax wash-n-wax. The acid is what removes the tarnish and the soaps clean and suspend the rest. The wax keeps away the spots and kinda makes them slick, otherwise they’ll be squeaky clean and not very Die friendly. 

Edited by Farmer

1 minute ago, Farmer said:

I use the booster, works fine. Your after the citric acid in it more than anything. My mix is Lemi shine, dawn and Turtle wax wash-n-wax. The acid is what removes the tarnish and the soaps clean and suspend the rest. The wax keeps away the spots and kinda makes them slick. 

This is the exact mix I use also and I clean my brass in a electric concrete mixer....

The black residue in primer pocket has never been an issue, but, since you don't like it:

All you want is citric acid. Buy citric acid on line or read label or Google MSDS for the product you're looking at.

1 hour ago, noylj said:

The black residue in primer pocket has never been an issue, but, since you don't like it:

All you want is citric acid. Buy citric acid on line or read label or Google MSDS for the product you're looking at.

When loading on my XL750 with Winchester primers and once-fired range brass, I got 22 high primers out of 500 rounds. That's way too many. It was never an issue when loading with Federal SPP, but we can't be too choosy these days. I dry tumbled the brass using corn cob, and it did nothing to remove the junk in the primer pockets. 

Fast forward a week. A buddy gave me some of his range brass that he wet tumbled. The brass was super clean with no residue in the primer pockets. With that brass, I only got two high primers out of my batch of 500 rounds. I can live with that. Besides, dry tumbling sucks!

I tried some with just the Lemishine and it came out clean but Very Very dry. Almost would squeak through a carbide die. That’s why I add the wax. Was your friend using SS pins also? That will get All the crud out but are a Pita. 

1 hour ago, Farmer said:

I tried some with just the Lemishine and it came out clean but Very Very dry. Almost would squeak through a carbide die. That’s why I add the wax. Was your friend using SS pins also? That will get All the crud out but are a Pita. 

Yes, he did use the pins, unfortunately. I lube my cases, so I'm not too concerned about "dry" cases. However, I'll still try the wash n' wax. Gotta keep them looking pretty!

Yes, it definitely adds a protective coating. My bro in-law also gave me some plow wax they use on snow plow blades. It works too but a little too much makes them sticky. The wash-n-wax still works better as you can’t really over do it. I usually add at least a capful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Guys - If you will put a small amount (about 2oz. in a FART or Rebel 17 tumbler) of the Armor All Ultra Shine Wash and Wax (kind of a yellow/orange color) this will put a "slick" finish on your wet tumbled brass that comes close to replicating the slickness that corn cob media provides.  I will not say exactly the same but it does make you brass feel less "super dry clean" - if that is the right term.....  

This is the stuff I use and it makes all the difference.

https://www.armorall.com/products/car-wash/ultra-shine-wash-wax

I learned about this from a fellow forum member who owns and runs a brass cleaning/reprocessing business.  He also uses Simply Green to get that stubborn carbon off brass at the same mixture rate.   

And let us not forget - a little shot of Hornady One-Shot on the brass you are about to reload makes all the difference in the world related to ease of loading processes......

Edited by Sigarmsp226

On 2/3/2021 at 6:13 AM, MJC082581 said:

I ditched Lemi Shine and just use citric acid.  I got a 5# bag on amazon of less then the cost of 1 bottle of lemi shine and it is the same thing 

Did you make sure it was organic and non gmo? 🤣🤣

I’ll have to grab a bag of that when the Lemi runs out. Lots of other good uses for it around the house. 

42 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Guys - If you will put a small amount (about 2oz. in a FART or Rebel 17 tumbler) of the Armor All Ultra Shine Wash and Wax (kind of a yellow/orange color) this will put a "slick" finish on your wet tumbled brass that comes close to replicating the slickness that corn cob media provides.  I will not say exactly the same but it does make you brass feel less "super dry clean" - if that is the right term.....  

This is the stuff I use and it makes all the difference.

https://www.armorall.com/products/car-wash/ultra-shine-wash-wax

I learned about this from a fellow forum member who owns and runs a brass cleaning/reprocessing business.  He also uses Simply Green to get that stubborn carbon off brass at the same mixture rate.   

I’ll have to try that when my turtle wax runs out. Just happened to have the TW sitting around at the time. Simple Green is another good cleaner. 

4 hours ago, Farmer said:

Did you make sure it was organic and non gmo? 🤣🤣

I’ll have to grab a bag of that when the Lemi runs out. Lots of other good uses for it around the house. 

Hahahaha.  It's not organic but it is non gmo 🤣.  I just checked becasue I was curious lol

And yes.  Armor all wash and wax is great also.  That with the citric acid is what I do my final tumble in.  I buy the wash and wax by the gallon on amazon as well for like $18

qzzabWO.jpg

Edited by MJC082581

• 2 weeks later...

1/2 tsp Lemme Shine, 1/2 tsp Dawn, Capful of Turtle Wax Tropical Wash 'N Wax (smells outta this world), warm water, those steel pin thingy's, 2 hours of tumble, rinse a couple of times, towel them off, then shovel them into my new Emeril Brass Dryer 360... They come out looking brand new

[img]https://i.imgur.com/D3gmuU9.jpg[/img]

Emeril Brass Dryer 360.png

Edited by Trippy