Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson tool less guide rod

Cowguy

I use them in my 2011 Open guns.  I also use one in a custom 1911.  If I had it to do over again I'd go with a two-piece full length guide rod.  Easier to break down and still allows you to remove the entire slide without disassembly so you can put a 22 conversion unit on.  You can also use it with the conventional bushing spring cap.  Not so with the Dawson.

never saw the need in a bushing gun, Move the bushing pull the plug and spring. Never had one that a full length guide rod wouldn twiggle out from the back.

Far as 2 piece,,, never saw one that didnt constantly try to become 2 pieces while shooting.

For bull barrel,,, to date best thing and simpliest thing I have found is the GI style.  For my 6" STI with bull barrel I made a GI plus 1" rod for the same setup. 

21 minutes ago, shred said:

I like them in my single stacks.  Makes oiling and disassembly and reassembly easy without having to find or bend up another paperclip or target staple.

what is your setup shred ? not doubting you, but the paper clip and tooless things used to make me scratch my head on a bushing gun. I have commanders and 5 inch and the all run a 1 piece full length rod, that I have no problem taking apart.. I pull the rod plug, spring and bushing then the slide stop, pull slide and guide rid will just wiggle out the back...
My bane is this 6" RIA Bull barrel,,, its a pin gun and while the GI style runs fine I am using a 20lb spring and its a mofo to get back together

21 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I'm with Joe on this one! I can't visualize how the DTLGR would be needed in a gun with a bushing barrel.

The bushing can't rotate around the FLGR like it can with a GI set up.  If you run a FLGR, you have to remove it before you can rotate the bushing out of the bushing cuts.  With the GI set up, you simply push the recoil spring plug down and rotate the bushing.  

13 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

The bushing can't rotate around the FLGR like it can with a GI set up.  If you run a FLGR, you have to remove it before you can rotate the bushing out of the bushing cuts.  With the GI set up, you simply push the recoil spring plug down and rotate the bushing.  

This is how I always broke down my 5" 1911's with the FLGR. I would unlock the barrel and remove the slide stop and pull the top end off the lower. Top end in the left hand, bushing wrench in right. Press down with the wrench and rotate the bushing so the plug could go find somewhere to hide. I would then pull out the spring and rotate the bushing the other way and remove it from the slide. Guide rod and barrel come out the bottom of the slide. 

With the Dawson TLGR, I rack the slide back, press the tab.  Now the spring is captured and I pull the slidestop to remove the top end at my leisure without any spring pressure and remove the spring and rod together from the rear like a reverse-plug gun, or I can turn the bushing and get the barrel out without needing to catch anything trying to escape.  I believe the 'bushing' TLGR setup from Dawson has enough clearance to push the plug in and turn the bushing with spring pressure uncaptured, but I never do that.

It's not "needed" on any 1911.  But it's nice to have.

2 minutes ago, shred said:

With the Dawson bushing-barrel Toolless guide rod (it's just short enough you can do this), rack the slide back, press the tab.  Now the spring is captured and you can either pull the slidestop to remove the top end and remove the spring and rod together from the rear like a reverse-plug gun, or turn the bushing without needing to catch the spring and get the barrel out that way.

got it! Thanks! That may of saved a few plug hunts. 😉 

With some of the (stock) FLGR guns I've had, the GR is too long to allow one to rotate bushing by depressing the plug...and some of those don't even have the paper clip hole.  That means you have to pull the slide, let the flgr slip down on the barrel feet, and then rotate bushing, pull spring/plug, etc.  A hot second on a lathe would fix the length, but I haven't taken the time.  I did drill paper clip holes in some.

Being able to take the gun apart without a bushing wrench (either dawson flgr, paper clip, or GI setups) allows you to not have a bushing wrench, and be a little easier on the finish of the gun, including the knurled end of the plug.

Not that I don't have bushing wrenches stashed everywhere.

I do think the GI setups work just fine despite owning some of the dawson rods and liking the system.  Once you get coordinated enough to catch the spring on takedown and compress/retain it on reassembly, takedown by first removing the slide (rather than plug/spring removal) becomes pretty slick.

Edited by johnmyster