Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching platforms...

chgofirefighter

I've said many times before, if I were moving from Limited to optics now I would shoot CO.  Now you shoot it like Limited, but with an optic.  A nice, heavy, metal gun with slide mounted optic and minor PF is as close to Limited as you can get for old eyes.  If I could, I'd still be shooting Limited.  I made the switch well before CO was 'real', so I went to Open.  Before the current shortage I was buying factory 9mm for under $8 a box shipped.  CO would have saved me loading 12,000 9mm major and minor loads a year.

On 12/10/2020 at 1:00 AM, Twinkie said:

As for CO, the practical use is to have a carry gun with a dot you never shoot because then it might not be broken when you have to rely on it. If you actually practice with it the dot will inevitably break.

The cool kids have three identical carry guns: the one they carry, a practice/training gun, and a backup for when #1 goes to the evidence room.

So I read in some place where they do press outs.

On 12/11/2020 at 7:03 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

The cool kids have three identical carry guns: the one they carry, a practice/training gun, and a backup for when #1 goes to the evidence room.

So I read in some place where they do press outs.

Actually, three carry guns:

One in a holster loaded. 

One dirty AF in the range bag that only gets cleaned when malfunctioning. 
One for dedicated dry fire (unloaded and clean so I don’t piss off the wife leaving dirty oil smudges everywhere). 

:D

I shot CO to a goal of “M” by practicing classifier skills. 

Now I’m shooting Open... but with a “carry optics major” setup. 

For me personally, carry optics with major ammo has recoil more similar to self defense 9mm out of a smaller carry gun. My CO gun with gamer 9mm minor feels like a 22LR, lol. 

I’m able to still get “A” classifiers in Open with that setup and mainly working on my movement skills and transitions. 

IMO, shoot what’s fun. If diversity keeps it fresh, do that. At the “A” and below level, there are plenty of non-shooting things to work on that will translate over to all platforms. 

If you want to compete at the M or GM levels, I’d think you’d have to put in a lot of dedicated time with any competition platform. Someone like Rob L, probably has enough lifetimes of practice with many platforms to switch back and forth. 

But until you’ve put in the time to gain that proficiency, it probably slows you down to keep switching at the pointy end. 

On 12/12/2020 at 9:41 AM, -JCN- said:

Actually, three carry guns:

One in a holster loaded. 

One dirty AF in the range bag that only gets cleaned when malfunctioning. 
One for dedicated dry fire (unloaded and clean so I don’t piss off the wife leaving dirty oil smudges everywhere). 

:D

I shot CO to a goal of “M” by practicing classifier skills. 

Now I’m shooting Open... but with a “carry optics major” setup. 

For me personally, carry optics with major ammo has recoil more similar to self defense 9mm out of a smaller carry gun. My CO gun with gamer 9mm minor feels like a 22LR, lol. 

I’m able to still get “A” classifiers in Open with that setup and mainly working on my movement skills and transitions. 

IMO, shoot what’s fun. If diversity keeps it fresh, do that. At the “A” and below level, there are plenty of non-shooting things to work on that will translate over to all platforms. 

If you want to compete at the M or GM levels, I’d think you’d have to put in a lot of dedicated time with any competition platform. Someone like Rob L, probably has enough lifetimes of practice with many platforms to switch back and forth. 

But until you’ve put in the time to gain that proficiency, it probably slows you down to keep switching at the pointy end. 

Once you TRULY Master the Fundamentals different platforms only need to be practiced enough with to be familiar with their idiosyncrasies. 

But switching while getting there never seems to help.

TGO, JM, Koenig have truly mastered them.  If you make GM, or even M and compete at that level in Level II or III matches, I'd hazard that you have also.  

Edited by pskys2

I'm classified in 8 divisions (and have the stupid online badge to show it🙄) I'm not that great at any of them but these are my thoughts:

Its pretty easy to swap between SS, L10, and limited,  assuming you're shooting a 1911/2011 in the latter two. Stage planning is really the only difference. 

If you're used to irons,  moving to production isn't too hard. Different grip angles and trigger pulls are there to contend with,  but sights are sights. 

Dots change things a lot. I think the dot has a lot to offer in learning to discipline yourself shooting; it helped me improve on shot calling a LOT when I was shooting CO with a glock. 

I would not hesitate to try a new division,  especially if you're having fun with it. Learn what you can about that division and skills you can apply elsewhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I shoot to have fun. Plain and simple. If it stops being fun I switch divisions. I'm a solid middle of the pack c class shooter. If you look at my classifiers scores I shoot single stack the best. This last year i decided to build am open gun. Then decided to build a CO gun. Then bought a new SS minor gun. I just like shooting guns and meeting new people. The last two seasons I shot a lot of major matches and stuck to SS mostly. But both years by the end of the season I was shooting limited just to not hate the match. I got sucked into wanting to win my division and class. Made the entire thing not fun. This year I am shooting only to have fun.