Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching platforms...

chgofirefighter

Whats the consensus of switching platforms/Divisions?  I normally shoot CO Division and decided to go Open after I got my Class B in CO, but many of my friends and shooting associates keep telling me to just stick to one platform, master it and then later down the line move to a different division.  I'm sure the response to my post will vary, but a fellow Production GM, Limited GM's, Class M keep telling to just stick one platform because if I don't then I am not serious about the sport 😏 thoughts?

My first love is CO Division but shooting Open is FUN AF! But with that being said, it's a bit different...  

Thanks in advance!  

Your friends are projecting their motivations regarding this sport on you.  Unfortunately most people never consider their answers from the point of view of the person asking.

They are correct only if your motivation for playing is similar to theirs.

The right answer depends on what you value the most.

Switching long term or switching back and forth week to week?

For a while I would shoot Production all year until nats in August and then shoot Limited. The change of pace helped me avoid getting burnt out. I've seen people shoot a different gun every week though. That doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

I went the first four years of IDPA shooting one Division for a year at a time.  I was well into a second rotation through the Divisions when I got distracted by an offer to try out a prototype gun.  That never materialized but it scrambled my schedule.  After that I sshot CDP (.45) until the recoil got unpleasant, then ESP (9mm.).

Looks like my 2021 Covid Division gun will be my old M25, I have more large pistol primers than small and the moon clips get me back my brass.

When I resumed USPSA, it was Limited Minor all the way until the present Panic which has me shooting L10 and SS with .45s to use the large pistol primers on hand. 

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

For a while I would shoot Production all year until nats in August and then shoot Limited. The change of pace helped me avoid getting burnt out. I've seen people shoot a different gun every week though. That doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

If you want to get better, the above approach makes the most sense to me (and I do something similar). If you just want to have fun and not get better, shoot whatever you want.

There is a problem switching back and forth.  Two different guns, different feel and different dot heights will have you playing find the dot unless you dry fire for a week ahead of the switch.  I'll give you an example.

For years I shot SCSA with my Limited gun, a CZ  75 TS, with a dot on it in Open.  I shot USPSA Open with a 2011 and a frame mounted Slideride.  Eight times a year there would be an SCSA match on Sat and a USPSA match on Sun.  I would dry fire with the TS for the SCSA match.  When I switched to the 2011 for USPSA my muscle memory was off and I had trouble finding the dot, because it was so much higher than on the TS.  I never did well in those matches.  After spending the next week dry firing the 2100 I was back on track for the next USPSA match. 

You may be more adaptable than I am, but it wasn't until I built dedicated pistols for each, with the same frame mounted dot that I overcame that problem.  Now I can switch back and forth at will.  Same holster, same everything except for a very slightly thinner grip on the 1911.

If you want to get good at USPSA stick with one gun/division and CO or open has plenty of competition anywhere you go.   If you want to have fun, then do w/e you want.   

Edited by mikeg1005

So far I have shot to a Classification goal, then switched. When I started I wanted to get SS Major to C, then I switched to Prod. I'm just shy of A and once I make that, I am switching to CO. Then I will get that to A by actual percentage (or maybe up to 80-82%) and then decide if I want to switch again.  I see it as keeping things fresh and not burning out but putting in enough time to meet a meaningful (to me) goal.

4 hours ago, waktasz said:

I'vce been most stuck with one platform for the most part CO 3 or so years ago I was all over the place, one week I would shoot a Glock, the other a Sig etc until I decided to stick with one platform and progress was made to the point that I didn't see myself going back to other platforms.  Fundamentals are just that, fundamentals but each platform is different to a degree, trigger reset, felt recoil, weight, and the list goes on...

1 hour ago, zzt said:

There is a problem switching back and forth.  Two different guns, different feel and different dot heights will have you playing find the dot unless you dry fire for a week ahead of the switch.  I'll give you an example.

For years I shot SCSA with my Limited gun, a CZ  75 TS, with a dot on it in Open.  I shot USPSA Open with a 2011 and a frame mounted Slideride.  Eight times a year there would be an SCSA match on Sat and a USPSA match on Sun.  I would dry fire with the TS for the SCSA match.  When I switched to the 2011 for USPSA my muscle memory was off and I had trouble finding the dot, because it was so much higher than on the TS.  I never did well in those matches.  After spending the next week dry firing the 2100 I was back on track for the next USPSA match. 

You may be more adaptable than I am, but it wasn't until I built dedicated pistols for each, with the same frame mounted dot that I overcame that problem.  Now I can switch back and forth at will.  Same holster, same everything except for a very slightly thinner grip on the 1911.

You're correct the dot sights much higher on the Honcho open setup than the CZ Shadow 2 and to my mistake I didn't do enough dry fire before jumping into a match thinking that the fundamentals were all the same.  Indeed they are but dot height, different ergos, weight made a significant impact on my performance during that match...  

2 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

I'vce been most stuck with one platform for the most part CO 3 or so years ago I was all over the place, one week I would shoot a Glock, the other a Sig etc until I decided to stick with one platform and progress was made to the point that I didn't see myself going back to other platforms.  Fundamentals are just that, fundamentals but each platform is different to a degree, trigger reset, felt recoil, weight, and the list goes on...

Fundamentals yes, but even pro racing drivers take time to adapt to their new teams when switching cars.

Didn't R.Leatham win the revolver nationals and the single stack nationals on the same weekend? 

For mere mortals, if I shoot only one gun then it seems like my subconscious adapts and I can feel when it is time to reload and etc when a stage plan is deviated from.

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

theres nothing wrong with taking a break and shooting different divisions. ultimately, you should just shoot what you enjoy

unless its CO cuz thats just poverty open 

🤣 

LOL or PCC. 

If you shoot to have fun then shoot whatever you want when you want.

Should you want to achieve a M or GM then I would say to focus on 1 division to achieve the goal.

I shoot open primarily because I have a difficult time to see iron sights. Knowing that, I shoot iron sights for the change of pace and reminds me of all those that are still shooting iron sights and are really good at it. If I could do it again, I’d shoot iron sights while I was younger and move on to optics.

3 hours ago, motosapiens said:

lol, but pcc and CO are both a crap-ton more 'practical' than open. Also quieter.

Nothing practical about a 65 rd extendo on a blowback 16" carbine. Why aren't you using a rifle at that point? Oh, yeah. Because pistol sport and pistol bays. 

As for CO, the practical use is to have a carry gun with a dot you never shoot because then it might not be broken when you have to rely on it. If you actually practice with it the dot will inevitably break.

Not that any other division makes any more practical sense than these two.

On-topic, if you want to get good you should probably stick with one gun. If you want to get bored you might want to change things up. Division, gun, game, etc. I found Steel challenge and rifle marksmanship practice both helped me to value USPSA more and shooting in general. You can be serious about USPSA without being a M or GM. Participating in many divisions gives you depth of experience, and that in the end is going to be of greater value than only shooting a single division. 

with the way CO rules have gone, no way I would get into open.  Dont really see the point and dont really see what makes it funner, unless by fun, you mean spending a but ton more money to basically do the same thing.

9 hours ago, Twinkie said:

On-topic, if you want to get good you should probably stick with one gun. If you want to get bored you might want to change things up. Division, gun, game, etc. I found Steel challenge and rifle marksmanship practice both helped me to value USPSA more and shooting in general. 

I almost agree. I found that switching to CO last winter for a few months taught me a lot that translated into significant improvement in consistency and match results when I went back to limited. I think the important part about doing a switch is that you do it for an extended period of time, and apply yourself to practice and dryfire so you can make progress. Switching every month will probably not help you improve, but switching once or twice a year might, both from the renewed motivation and from the different points of emphasis of the particular division.

Nothing practical about a 65 rd extendo on a blowback 16" carbine.

My pcc doubles as a home defense gun. Easy to shoot accurately, won't blow my ears out if I ever have to use it. cheap to practice with. they still work fine (better, actually) with a 20-30 round magazine.

Edited by motosapiens