Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 750 on the way - a couple questions

I have a new XL 750 on the way and have a couple of questions.  First, I currently have a Hornady  LNL progressive and have Hornady dies for it.  Can I use these for the 750?  Even if I can, is there an advantage to using Dillon dies?  I'll mostly be loading 9mm.  

I'm wondering what add-ons I should get.  I was planning on getting a case feeder and probably a strong mount.  What other suggestions do you think are important? I have the basic accessories like a scale, case gauges, calipers, primer trays etc.

Both presses use a standard 7/8” threaded die, and yours will work. Many of us prefer Lee or Redding or a hodgepodge of brands to the Dillon dies, also. Run what you like.

(In 9mm I prefer a Lee undersized sizing die, MrBulletFeeder powder funnel, Redding micrometer seating die, and whatever crimp die you have lying around. The next guy to post will like something else, and make ammo just as good as mine.)

You absolutely want the strong mount, a roller handle... and the bullet tray if you aren’t going to be installing a bulletfeeder anytime soon.

The casefeeder should be a built-in part of a 650/750, I don’t see the point of purchasing one without it. Running without it is like loading an AK-47 with pebbles.

Also, I hope you’re stocked up on primers. Otherwise you might as well leave it sitting in the box until you sell your soul for some. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

28 minutes ago, George16 said:

Check out snowshooze in fleabay for upgrades. Good add-ones include bearing indexer, reloading innovations light kit, spent primer catcher, casefeed stop switch, roller cam follower, primer stopper, extra toolhead etc.

^^^This^^^

I have all those on 650.  Why Dillon didn’t put a lot of these as standard items on the 750 is a mystery.  Blue better watch out, Lyman via Mark7 is coming.

1 minute ago, Blackstone45 said:

Thanks. You've now got me browsing Armanov upgrade parts (because i'm in Europe), and there's a lot of good stuff there. 

They sell a lot of great stuff. I used to have their Swage kit for processing .223/5.56 cases but sold it after buying the 1100.

I made a chute for mine to catch the rounds. 
I agree that the 650/750 should come with the case feeder. I loaded with mine for about a year with out one. I made an extension on the tube that would hold forty 9mm. It seemed that I was spending more time loading that than loading rounds. I finally broke down and got the case feeder. Money well spent. 

97FC645F-95A3-4CC7-84A3-EE610C956840.jpeg

That chute is pretty awesome.

For my 750, I really like the Uniqutek micrometer powder measure. I also picked up one of the ebay casefeed stoppers, a roller handle, lights, strong mount, shell plate bearing, and Dram Worx hopper. All unnecessary to reload, but all good upgrades. 

• 2 weeks later...

I consider these upgrades as absolute necessary:

1. Case feeder (might as well switch to a 550 without it)

2. Roller Handle (your hands will thank you after a few hundred rounds)

3. Dillon XL 650, XL 750, SL 900, RL 550 B Buffer Detent Ball & Spring Kit (check it on Ebay, it solves powder leakage problem)

4. InLine Fabrication Skylight LED Shellplate Lighting System

5. 100 Round 9mm Luger Hundo Chamber Checker Cartridge Case Gauge

Edited by hlsccsfa

This is a great thread. Have a 750 on the way as well and appreciate all the info and tips on Ebay for upgrade options. 

Anyone use any 3D printed upgrades? I do see a number of Dillon items on Thingiverse. There are not many comments or feedback though.