Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light primer strikes in CZ Shadow 2 with 11.5 hammer spring

matto6

17 hours ago, Rb43 said:

I went from a 11 to a 15lbs mainspring on my S2 and it made a world of a difference with how the gun cycles. 

Interesting. In what way does it improve how the gun cycles? 

Edited by matto6

9 minutes ago, Rb43 said:

It’s a personal preference, it just felt better for me.  

Cool.  I'm just trying to understand how it's actually different.  The hammer cushions the blow more?   Is this not something that could be achieved by changing the recoil spring?

Edited by matto6

39 minutes ago, matto6 said:

Cool.  I'm just trying to understand how it's actually different.  The hammer cushions the blow more?   Is this not something that could be achieved by changing the recoil spring?

The slide needs to push the hammer back, so it probably stay locked up a touch longer and slows the slide down more in that first part of the travel. You can find posts on here of open guys playing with different profile firing pin stops to effect how the gun recoils. I'm sure it changes things but I've never messed with it. 

I mentioned this in another thread (hi Earl!), and I assume the CGW springs that are sold now are all recent production, but about a year and a half ago, a reduced-power spring I got from CGW was wearing out pretty early (like within three weeks), and what was happening was that the firing pin wasn't resetting all the way back...just kind of floating loosely in the firing pin channel.  It might have been ethics's stock spring before I switched to an extended, but because of that some rounds weren't going off and when I ejected and looked at them, they had no marks on the primers.

It turns out I wasn't the only one and apparently CGW had gotten a bad batch of them...me being one of the unlucky who ordered at the time.  They sent me replacements which have been fine since over thousands of rounds (still have one of those in my Shadow today).  Again, I would think that batch was discarded quite some time ago, but check to see how well the rear of the pin is extending back when the hammer is out, and see if the spring is worn and compressed more when out of the gun.

4 hours ago, Trader said:

A few posters have mentioned the Rami firing pin spring, how does it differ from a stock 75 or lightened 75 firing pin spring?

The RAMI 2075 spring is more resilient compared to the CGW Lightened FP Spring. RAMI 2075 is good in between to the CGW lightened and the Stock Spring, probably double the life, around two competition seasons before replacement.

• 1 month later...

Oddly enough, Winchester primers didn't work any better than CCI primers.  I get the same failure rate with both.

However, installing a CZ Custom 12-pound hammer spring makes the Shadow 2 work flawlessly with either primer.

Interestingly, I also have a CZ Custom Shadow (91030) and the 12 pound is not good enough.  I need the 13 to be fully reliable. Go figure.

Just replaced my 13lb Cajun Gun Works hammer spring on my Shadow 2 with the 11.5lb CGW spring. I also dropped from a 13lb recoil spring to an 11lb recoil spring. I added the extended firing pin and softer firing pin spring. Went to the range this morning and ran factory ammo: CCI Blazer Brass, Aguila, and a few Winchesters without a failure. 

Edited by Stafford

On 11/2/2020 at 10:19 AM, KlausN said:

I have one 75 S1 which works with a 11.5 and one SP01 needed a 13lb to reliably ignite ALL primers. You can try a 12 lb spring if you are after the last bit of DA reduction.  I also have one with the Apex hammer which needed a 12 lb spring to ignite all primers in DA, SA worked with a 11 lb.   it seems strange that soft primers don’t light with a 11.5 lb spring.  Springs are not high quality normally so you might gotten a “bad” spring. 

what is your DA pull weight when you pull as slow as possible?

I would think an SP01 would always need a stronger spring compared to a S1 or S2 due to the FPB.

2 hours ago, FALAR said:

I would think an SP01 would always need a stronger spring compared to a S1 or S2 due to the FPB.

Sorry, I wasn’t precise. They are all shadows, one 75 s1 and two SP01 shadows. The all needed different hammer springs to ignite all primers.  Therefore I went to 13lb on two and 12 lb on the third. 

35 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

The firing pin block has nothing to do with hammer spring weight. 

When I pencil tested my SP01 it was never as strong as a S1 with the same weight spring.

11 hours ago, FALAR said:

When I pencil tested my SP01 it was never as strong as a S1 with the same weight spring.

And there is nothing else but the FPB that could cause that?  No sticky firing pin, or a stronger FP return spring in one gun vs the other, or hammer drag, or any other number of points of friction in the system?

On 12/23/2020 at 1:15 PM, Stafford said:

Just replaced my 13lb Cajun Gun Works hammer spring on my Shadow 2 with the 11.5lb CGW spring. I also dropped from a 13lb recoil spring to an 11lb recoil spring. I added the extended firing pin and softer firing pin spring. Went to the range this morning and ran factory ammo: CCI Blazer Brass, Aguila, and a few Winchesters without a failure. 

It all works only as a balanced system, as you found out.

15 hours ago, FALAR said:

What's the pencil test?  Put a pencil in the barrel and see how far it pops up in the air when you dry fire?