Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What’s going on with these bullet holes.

Rich406

As the wait for bullets has become longer and longer, I’ve been trying out some different bullets and loads. Currently I have some 147gr Montana gold that I’ve been working with. 

when I was testing them out I noticed that the bullet holes aren’t nice and round like they should be. Instead I’m getting some tumbling. The holes are oblong with a slight tail at 9-12 o’clock.  

the load is

147gr mt gold bullet

3.6 gr of sport pistol

1.140 oal and .378 crimp

im shooting it out of a p320 x5 with a barsto barrel.

im not over crimping, and I have plenty of velocity at 137ish PF. Any ideas on what I can do to get theses to work?

C4B0276B-7780-485F-A03D-5E5C34EC40E3.jpeg

Edited by Rich406

I don’t shoot the X5, but I would recommend swapping back to the factory barrel to see if the same pattern happens. 

Keyholes are normally a function of bullet to barrel issues. 

One other thing, were you shooting directly at the target or from an angle?

Edited by HesedTech

16 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

One other thing, were you shooting directly at the target or from an angle?

This is an important question because all the holes are off center in the same direction. If the bullets were precessing or tumbling I'd expect that feature to be random.

44 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

Is your target square to the gun?? Slightly angled cardboard may show similar pattern.

I was squared up to the target. The odd holes being caused by an angle was the first thing I ruled out. 

Next question, are you using the Lee FCD to “fix” bulging loads?

While MTG Bullets have a pretty thick metal jacket I have seen jacketed Bullets swage by the FCD.

Let us know how the bullets run in another gun and barrel.

I have Glock Gen5 where the stock barrel will not shoot great groups at 25 yards, but an after market one really tightens them up.

36 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Next question, are you using the Lee FCD to “fix” bulging loads?

While MTG Bullets have a pretty thick metal jacket I have seen jacketed Bullets swage by the FCD.

Let us know how the bullets run in another gun and barrel.

I have Glock Gen5 where the stock barrel will not shoot great groups at 25 yards, but an after market one really tightens them up.

i do use a FCD. I was under the impression that it couldn’t swage jacketed bullets.  That said, it’s at the top of the list of things I’m suspicious of.....

3 minutes ago, AHI said:

Try shooting unsuported . You could be bouncing the Gun of the rest. Thearfor interducing the tumble.

That seems pretty unlikely. I’ve used the same rest for years with no issues. 

I am thinking twist rates...

do you know how a 124 grain MG bullet acts?

If 124 is ok, you may want more twist for the 148 Gn bullets.

and yeah size of bullet and barrel may be involved.

skinny bullet or an open barrel may cause 'skidding'

luck!

miranda

2 hours ago, Rich406 said:

i do use a FCD. I was under the impression that it couldn’t swage jacketed bullets.  That said, it’s at the top of the list of things I’m suspicious of.....

It’s been my, and I believe others, experience with the Lee FCD it does nothing for accuracy and only “fixes” or covers less than ideal reloading processes.

I’ve tested it with FMJ and it will swage the bullets, but not as bad as coated. 

2 hours ago, Rich406 said:

Id be suspicious of heavy bullets first. Seems many guns tend to dislike 147’s

9 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

It’s been my, and I believe others, experience with the Lee FCD it does nothing for accuracy and only “fixes” or covers less than ideal reloading processes.

I’ve tested it with FMJ and it will swage the bullets, but not as bad as coated. 

I ran out 100 using a Redding crimp die instead of the Lee. I’ll see if I can tell any difference when I next make it to the range. It’s currently supposed to snow 4” tonight, so it may be a bit...

3 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Id be suspicious of heavy bullets first. Seems many guns tend to dislike 147’s

I agree with that, however it’s what I can easily get right now for bullets, so I’m trying to make it work.