Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Viper base plate

Goat259

Good Morning

I shoot USPSA matches using a CZ Shadow 2, with the slide cut for specifically for a Vortex Viper. The viper is attached directly to the slide, no bas plate or attachment between the slide and optic. Since I started using this setup in May, I have had to send in the optic 4 times due to the dot going out. I recently ordered a base plate from Ben Stoeger's pro shop that I though would fit, until i received it, and it doesn't fit. Because, like I said, the cut, is for a Vortex Viper. I went to the company who cut the slide and asked if they had a base plate for such an application, and they do not. Nor do they have any recommendations on who would. Can anyone here direct me somewhere?

Just to clarify, here is a link to the piece I ordered that does not fit on my slide.

https://benstoegerproshop.com/czc-cz-p10-shadow-2-optic-ready-mounting-plate-doctor-optic-vortex-viper-burris-by-cz-custom/

Thank you.

Are you looking for some sort of adapter that lets you use a different footprint dot on a slide that's been cut to allow a direct mount of the viper? If so then what  you ordered isn't intended for that.  What you ordered is the adapter plate for a pistol with a multi optics cut to specifically mount a viper.

Edited by caspian guy

I have used the Vortex Viper/Venoms on several Glocks with dove tail mounts. Not direct to the slide and have had to send them back for repair. Seems pretty normal for them to not hold up. Vortex CS has always been great and replaced them. Try taking a thin piece of rubber gasket material between the slide & optic to cushion it. Other than that we have all replaced the optics with more durable ones. I believe there are several others that have the same footprint as the Viper.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

4 hours ago, Goat259 said:

Ahi

My cut on the slide is a direct mount for a vortex viper. I would like to add a base plate to put in between the slide and optic in hopes that I will not have to send in the optic for repair. 

I shoot a Shadow 1 with a Viper on a plate. I’m waiting on it to come back from repair. I don’t know that a plate will help you all that much. 

5 hours ago, Goat259 said:

Ahi

My cut on the slide is a direct mount for a vortex viper. I would like to add a base plate to put in between the slide and optic in hopes that I will not have to send in the optic for repair. 

The issue of a plate or not won’t solve your Vortex breaking. It’s just not up to the task you are using it for. The gasket suggestion is the best option at this point, but I don’t believe it will solve your problem. That’s the issue with cutting a slide for one optic, you’re now married to that choice, so choose wisely.

I do not believe a commercially available plate as you described exists.

Burris is coming out with a FF 4,,  I am waiting on that one. My viper broke, at first match, although it was probably my fault. Dot wouldnt come on and I noticed mount screws were loose. SO I tightened it. Still didnt work. I think the battery had shifted and when I tightened it, It may have buggered up the contacts. Vortex still replaced it,, New one is still in packing box.
I went Venom this time, as changing a Viper battery is a pain.. 
Hopefully this one hangs in there until the Burris is available, and hopefully Burris improved reliability on the model 4

This why I went with a CZC RDS plate system when I had my slide milled, it allows for different optics to be used by switching plates. I originally had a Venom and it broke pretty quickly and I ended up getting a SRO shortly after. 

Like others have said there is no plate system for your dilemma but fortunately you could always spend the money and purchase a Shadow 2 OR slide and use a different optic. Just have to find one in stock and be willing to spend the cash on one. (The plate you ordered is for the S2 OR slide)

• 1 year later...

I am currently on my third viper on a glock 17 I have a direct mount to slide as well. Vortex said I needed a larger relief cut in the front cut and different screws. I've milled the slide to get space at the front and also purchased the screws vortex recommended. I've shot 30 rounds through with this newest one and the glass is already beginning to move. I may try the gasket!