Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSI Scale 4.0 grips

zen_grasshopper

Disclaimer: I don't work for SSI, or am sponsored by them, just want to help out a small business in getting the word out about these as they are new and these are the first two sold after they went live on the website and I personally think they are amazing.  

New grips from Shooting Sports Innovations for the CZ.  These are the Scales 4.0 modular.  Aluminum with the option to add weight modules to the inside of the grips to add some weight if you want.  Brass and tungsten inserts are available.  Here is the weight breakdown from the SSI website.

SSI-Weights.png

SSI made some serious improvements just in the shape and texture of these grips over the previous Scales and Scales 2.0.  They are slightly thicker at 1.41" across and the taper at the top is not as aggressive as the previous models which result in the grips filling your hands more.  I don't have sasquatch hands, but somewhat longer fingers.  I ran Scales for a long time, and I loved the shape but were a bit too thin up top and wanted more texture so last season I switched to LOK palm swells that were oversized by .040" on each side.  The one thing I didn't like about those was the coke bottle shape that left a gap on the bottom of my support hand.  These are straight all the way down which allows more of my support hand to be on the gun and the taper is much less severe and the new texture is excellent.  Smooth where I want it and aggressive where I need it.  

SSI-1.jpg

Comparison of my previous oversized LOKs to the Scale 4.0

SSI-3.jpg

The weight inserts, I used a small amount of marine silicon to "glue" the weight in, once dry they are still easy to remove if needed and acetone will clean up the silicon.  

SSI-4.jpg

I have one brass insert and one tungsten insert on each of the guns, and they both weigh almost 52oz with an empty magazine and Springer base pad.  I know some people will comment on the price of the inserts, but brass and tungsten is hard on tooling and with the setup costs for the small runs that are done it adds up.  You don't need to run the inserts if you don't want the added weight. 

Both sets fit the guns very well with no shifting or movement when screwed in place.  I did have to relieve under the magazine release slightly to ensure that I could depress the magazine release fully, and talking to Nathan he said some guns may need it and others may not.  The magazine release could also be relieved instead of the grip itself, it was a very minor amount.  The blue and black anodized versions will be coming out in the next week or so, and when I get my blue ones for my match gun I will probably relieve the mag release if it is an issue.  

I know that grips are a personal fit, and for me they really knocked it out of the park.

Edited by zen_grasshopper
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Rb43 said:

Can you post a pic of a side by side comparison of the old and new scales?

I don't have any of the old Scales that are still original, I only have one set that I silicon carbided so they are a bit thicker than normal, but I will get that done tomorrow when I can.

19 hours ago, Rb43 said:

Rough?   They look like complete garbage!

Sorry that you don’t like the appearance, how do they feel for you?  I would think that the grips effectiveness would be more important than how it looks, my grips have always looked like crap within a few weeks due to dead skin, ProGrip, dirt, and getting dinged up so appearance hasn’t been the top of my priorities. The grips are fully machined, as a former machinist myself doing the contours and texture that was done is not an easy process.  To make it completely perfect with no machining marks would be cost prohibitive to the customer due to the increased amount of machine time for finishing passes.  I am sure that Nathan would allow you to return them if you don’t like them.  I personally love the look, but I don’t care personally about a perfect finish. 

Thanks Robtor305 for posting feedback..

And thanks for being a repeat customer.  Please keep in mind that these 4.0 grips are 5 axis fully machined and to have a perfect finish would be cost prohibitive.  The grip design is performance based and is perfect for the competitive market.  I was going to reply to your email previously sent directly to SSI, but posting here works just fine.  I am glad to refund your purchase.  Please send me the grips and after inspection we will immediately credit you back.  Thanks for supporting a small business.

SSI

39 minutes ago, cudaman said:

Thanks Robtor305 for posting feedback..

And thanks for being a repeat customer.  Please keep in mind that these 4.0 grips are 5 axis fully machined and to have a perfect finish would be cost prohibitive.  The grip design is performance based and is perfect for the competitive market.  I was going to reply to your email previously sent directly to SSI, but posting here works just fine.  I am glad to refund your purchase.  Please send me the grips and after inspection we will immediately credit you back.  Thanks for supporting a small business.

SSI

If you are wondering why a post was removed, please read the the following:

Advertising
The general forums are not for any advertising whatsoever.
Please do not advertise products or services for yourself or for others in your posts or your Signature, either with text, links, Avatars or images.
However, a non-linked, single line of text in your Signature stating "Team ______" is permitted.
"Group Buys" are not permitted on Brian's Forums. And WTB (Want To Buy) Posts are only permitted in the Classified Forums.

Please do not advertise products or services for yourself or for others in your Posts or Signature, either with text, links, avatars, images or videos. This includes any videos, personal or YouTube, that solicit subscriptions or donations, or include advertising links in videos or at the video viewing site.

Any sort of advertising in Posts or Signatures will be removed by a Moderator, then the Member will be notified with a PM.
I'm sorry for the bluntness of this - we are making every effort to be fair to our paying Forum Dealers.

53 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

If you are wondering why a post was removed, please read the the following:

Advertising
The general forums are not for any advertising whatsoever.
Please do not advertise products or services for yourself or for others in your posts or your Signature, either with text, links, Avatars or images.
However, a non-linked, single line of text in your Signature stating "Team ______" is permitted.
"Group Buys" are not permitted on Brian's Forums. And WTB (Want To Buy) Posts are only permitted in the Classified Forums.

Please do not advertise products or services for yourself or for others in your Posts or Signature, either with text, links, avatars, images or videos. This includes any videos, personal or YouTube, that solicit subscriptions or donations, or include advertising links in videos or at the video viewing site.

Any sort of advertising in Posts or Signatures will be removed by a Moderator, then the Member will be notified with a PM.
I'm sorry for the bluntness of this - we are making every effort to be fair to our paying Forum Dealers.

I am confused.  Apparently SSI was told about a customer complaint posted here.  He responded that he would refund the purchase.  Not really sure how that is advertising.  Hella good customer service but far from advertising, IMO. 

49 minutes ago, Shadyscott999 said:

I am confused.  Apparently SSI was told about a customer complaint posted here.  He responded that he would refund the purchase.  Not really sure how that is advertising.  Hella good customer service but far from advertising, IMO. 

See this part? "any advertising whatsoever."...

Besides that, "Brian's Forums is not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual."