Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

akai custom load help?

Milkcoma

so i have 2 questions.   does anyone know the weight of the recoil spring in a stroked akai shipped from him?

this is for 9 Major.

my main questions is is 1.10 to short to load with autocomp?  I check the OAL of my barrel and it seems it needs 1.10 with montana gold 124grain JHP to plunk test correctly. 

From all the other load data i see here 1.165 is the preferred length.   The barrel is a KKM. 

Thays super short for 9 maj, you may need to ream that barrel a little or try another projectile. 

Maybe the ogive/profile it touching lands. 

Shats short and obviously adding pressure and thats short to feed, could cause nose dive malfunction 

Sprig Bless your heart.   Who would of ever thought of to do that.   I already emailed him. But you know its the weekend so he probably spending time with his family.

You know what the purpose of forums like this are for? Thats right to see if other people have had the same issue. Maybe someone else has already talked to him about a similar issue etc. or maybe loading to 1.10 is fine.     But thanks for being so helpful. 

1.10 that doesn’t sound right. I have a couple of 9 major from Akai and I can load berrys or xtreme heavy plated all the way out to 1.20 and pass the plunk test. My normal length is 1.175.  Also I don’t believe he recommends auto comp he recommends hs6 or aa7 or shooter world major pistol which is the same as aa7 

1 hour ago, nbdyspl said:

1.10 that doesn’t sound right. I have a couple of 9 major from Akai and I can load berrys or xtreme heavy plated all the way out to 1.20 and pass the plunk test. My normal length is 1.175.  Also I don’t believe he recommends auto comp he recommends hs6 or aa7 or shooter world major pistol which is the same as aa7 

my max OAL for montana gold cmj are 1.18   but i bough a bunch of JHP since that seems to be a common bullet used.  I now found out i can only load them to a mal OAL of 1.13 but they will only plunk test and twist at 1.10

That does seem short, I would wait to see what Shay says before loading them that short. My 9maj gun would go around 1.175. I loaded them at 1.165. Just FYI, Shay does not like auto comp for a open powder.  My guns came with 8 lb cut spring, to get to right length, use the spring plug and push the spring down until till it stops, remove 1/2 coil or so at a time. Make sure the plug just touches the slide stop and does not stop on the coils of the spring. 

14 hours ago, Milkcoma said:

my max OAL for montana gold cmj are 1.18   but i bough a bunch of JHP since that seems to be a common bullet used.  I now found out i can only load them to a mal OAL of 1.13 but they will only plunk test and twist at 1.10

Makes sense.  Does seem a little short for a 2011 based chamber; but, my Tanfo’s only plunk CMJs at 1.148 or less.

JHPs at absolutely no more than 1.08.

Shooter’s World Major.

No issue.  No signs of primer flattening on small pistol.

Back when I was new to open - no issue with HS6 at similar lengths.

On 10/3/2020 at 10:08 PM, Milkcoma said:

my main questions is is 1.10 to short to load with autocomp?

I would not load that short with that fast powder for any reason.  In fact, I would not load that short even with the MUCH slower powder I use.  Wait for Shay to answer.  Something is amiss.  Worst case:  have the barrel throated so you can load longer.

On 10/4/2020 at 10:33 AM, Milkcoma said:

is there a correct method to do know if you cut too many or to few coils?

Yes.  Put the spring on the guide rod and compress it with the spring plug.  If the back of the plug touches the face of the guide rod you're good.  If it doesn't you are coil binding.  Cut a little off the front of the recoil spring at a time until the plug touches.  You almost always have to do this with anything other than full size guns.

If Akai won’t ream that barrel for free, send it to someone who will do a good job of making it feed virtually any ammo profile out nice and long. ;) 

There’s no way I’d go shorter than 1.160 in any open load.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 10/3/2020 at 7:08 PM, Milkcoma said:

so i have 2 questions.   does anyone know the weight of the recoil spring in a stroked akai shipped from him?

this is for 9 Major.

my main questions is is 1.10 to short to load with autocomp?  I check the OAL of my barrel and it seems it needs 1.10 with montana gold 124grain JHP to plunk test correctly. 

From all the other load data i see here 1.165 is the preferred length.   The barrel is a KKM. 

More details on the gun, is it new, used...if new they load out to 1.180 no problem, if used the previous owner should let you know....dumped the Autocomp and get your self some Shooter world Major Pistol..

my recoil spring was 7lb cut down ..

1 hour ago, Furrly said:

More details on the gun, is it new, used...if new they load out to 1.180 no problem, if used the previous owner should let you know....dumped the Autocomp and get your self some Shooter world Major Pistol..

my recoil spring was 7lb cut down ..

The gun is new.   They said they would throat it for me.   The gun can load the Montana gold CMJ out to 1.180 and pass the plunk test.   But the JHP will only pass the plunk test at 1.10.  i did a max oal length test on them and it came out to 1.13 but they wont spin in the  barrel during plunk test. i have to load them down to 1.10 to get them to spin. 

M, I had a similar problem with JHP.  I use Hornady HAP as a reference, because that required the shortest OAL of the three brands I used.  I load to 1.161" for major.  I loaded a couple dummies at that length and several more at 1.165".  I dropped the barrels off to a gunsmith and told him to throat so the longer rounds dropped in but didn't spin, and the shorter ones did.  He did exactly what I asked.

I finally bought a 9mm finishing reamer because I had to deepen one chamber and throat another.  The Manson reamer has .055" of leade on it.  Bob at Brazos Custom says he put a longer leade than that in his custom pistols, so I don't bother trying to be precise.  I just throat until the reamer bottoms on the chamber and call it done.

If any of you are considering doing this and then shooting coated bullet, don't.  If you throat with a sharp reamer the edges of the lands will be like razors.  They will cut the coating, cause a lot of smoke and some leading.  Shoot a hundred heavy plate or jacketed through first to smooth the edges.

Loading my Akai 9 top 1.165 with MG JHP’s no problem. 8lb spring cut a little with one blue soft buffer and one alumi buffer..with Shooters Major at 170pf, my dot run out of glass at 2 o’clock, back in at 3..weird load..it’s was very dirty..went back to WAC 7.0grs..dot moves straight up and down..doesn’t move 1/2 way out of glass..soft and very flat in my setup..