Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Provisional Division Pistol

DanTroxel

1. Kimber Custom Target II - $700 (at a gunshow)
  2. S&A Slimline Magwell - $55
  3. Wilson 8rd Mags (4) - $100
  4. Paint for front sight - $2
  5. Total Cost of Toys - $857

Of course then I had to have a new holster, belt, better grips for the gun and god knows what else to make me happy about the damn rig so the price went up a good bit. ;)

-LD

Les Baer makes awesome, awesome 1911 single-stacks- probably the best pistols of their type that come ready-to-race right out of the box. Accurate and rock-solid reliable (really, really reliable). I've seen a lot of shooters ready to throw their factory Kimbers and Springfields into the garbage after a match in the cold, rain, or beautiful dry sunny weather, but Les' pistols just feed round after round in sub-zero cold, ice, mud, rain, whatever. They may be more expensive, but after you pay to fix the @#*&-ups in the other makes, it's worth it to do it right from the start (and no, I don't know Les). Good luck!

I have had zero problems from my Kimber and the Springfield gun that was it's predecessor had exactly one issue and that was readily repaired (bad two piece guide rod). Both guns have to have about 1000 rounds through them before I bother to clean them. YMMV.

-ld

Kimber and Springfield both have their issues....IMHO. I have both, but my favorite has to be the Tactical Custom II from Kimber. I love how light it is and there is virtually no difference in felt recoil (don't ask me to explain why!). My TRP Operator required a bbl change to keep the groups to less than 12" at 50yds. Yes, it shot 12"+ groups at 50 before I put a Storm Lake drop in bull bbl. They both have their ups and downs. If you want worry free shooting, go with the Les Baer or some other custom. Or just change bbls!

Both of mine were very accurate as well. Maybe I have been lucky. Usually all I do is swap around the springs and slap in some sort of aftermarket magwell. The same thing worked fine on my old Colt 1991 .38 super. The only 1911 I have had that was inaccurate and unreliable was an Auto Ordnance .45 that was so worthless I couldn't find a gunsmith willing to work on it. I am not counting the Llama 1911 that I bought because I am pretending that didn't happen. :)

-ld

As a possible alternative, I've been at GUNSITE this week with one of the S&W scandium-framed Commander length guns...not the choice for Single-Stack in that configuration, to be sure, but I've been impressed by the gun. I haven't put a lot of rounds downrange from the S&W 1911s until this week, but this one — which I decided to buy just like I needed another 1911! — has been a rock-solid performer. I'm on the second 500-round case of .45 ACP 230-grain ball without a stoppage of any sort. It's one of the rare 1911s where I can actually hit the grip safety without disabling/dinking it. The gun also shoots extremely well for a lightweight .45. It's a two0thumbs-up gun!

I'd say give the S&W 1911s a good look. I like them better than the last few SAs I've handled, but maybe that's just me.

I'll be at SIG next week to work with the updated GSR 1911s (they now have a version without a rail, which would work for SS).

I'll post here after I've had a chance to shoot 'em a bit.

Michael B

I'm asking for opinions on the best - out of the box - 45 for this division. I don't want to take the coned barrel out of my Caspian!

Price range may be a factor. Kimber or SA at the low end, Wilson maybe at the high end. You could probably get Benny, Bob, Dan, etc. to build you one for significantly less than a Leatham Legend and have a great SS.

I have never been 100% happy with any 1911 I've owned, and I've owned a lot. Way too many. Colts, Kimbers, SA's, Caspian, STI,...you name it. I finally put out the money and bought a Les Baer Premire II w/1& 1/2" @ 50yrds. option, and it's the smartest money I've ever spent on a gun. 100% reliable with ANY ammo, ridiculously accurate, and just a joy to shoot. I'll never need another single stack. IMO, they are a great value, as well as being a great gun.

Larry

I'm asking for opinions on the best - out of the box - 45 for this division. I don't want to take the coned barrel out of my Caspian!

I know you're asking about out of the box but my vote would be for a gun I built myself from components, Caspian frame and slide if I could afford it, Essex frame and slide if I wanted to save a few bucks. I don't know if it's just me or I got bad examples from other sources, but the guns I build work and the ones I've bought don't until I've finished tuning, changing, grinding, polishing, etc, etc, etc, on them.