Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popper calibration check is hugely flawed

Whoops!

I'm all for changing the current system. 

1. RM calibrates every popper with 115-120 PF ammo before the match starts.

2. If there is a FULL DIAMETER hit within the scoring ring and a popper fails to fall during a COF, the shooter goes directly to chrono.

2.1 if shooter fails fo make minor PF, give shooter the "no score" in PS. If shooter makes Minor,  call REF, adjust steel as necessary, and reshoot. 

I think this whole deal has been blown waaaaaaaaay out of proportion.  Some days when you're dealing with 30mph winds and steel, nothing is going to be perfect. Do what you can, try to be fair,  and have fun. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And lands in the calibration zone as a normal diameter hit?

Give it to the competitor for sure.

How do you measure the diameter of a steel hit?
Since you think a ricochet should count, what if I ricochet off a rock and hit the A zone on a target? Should that count too?

13 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

At your local club matches, do the RO’s :

A.  Stay at the same stage all day long and run multiple squads through

B.  Stay with squads and move from stage to stage with their squads.

embedded RO's, on an informal and ad-hoc basis. But we have a fair amount of certified RO's and good shooters with major match experience, so we do our best to keep stuff running correctly and maintain competitive equity.

1 hour ago, RadarTech said:

How do you measure the diameter of a steel hit?
Since you think a ricochet should count, what if I ricochet off a rock and hit the A zone on a target? Should that count too?

if you ricochet off a rock and hit the a-zone, it looks to me (from reading the rulebook) that it counts, all day.

it's pretty easy to see if a hit on steel is full-diameter or not.

24 minutes ago, RadarTech said:

go read 9.5.5...

this is a fairly common misunderstanding of the use of the word 'ricochet', and it often brought up (incorrectly) when discussing bounces of barrels. it is unfortunate that they used that word instead of just splatter.

to make it more clear, if your whole bullet bounces off a rock, or popper, or prop, or barrel and hits the a-zone, it's generally a hit. if it looks like the bullet came apart and only part of the jacket (or the rock) hit the target, then not a hit.

Edited by motosapiens

Been my experience at level 1 matches clubs that only allow certified RO's to run squads seem to have less problems with the steel/calibration/rules than clubs that allow non-certified RO's to run the squad.  I realize & shoot with clubs that didn't have enough certified RO's to go around so I do understand.  Even if our squad has ONE RO it would be tiring to run an entire squad without a break for the entire match.  The only time I had a minor problem with calibration was at a level 1 with a non-certified RO.  I won.

Level 1 matches that use the old knuckle test on steel is fine with me.  Level 1 matches around here don't have a chronograph anyways.  I'm sure its probably the same elsewhere.  The Pepper Popper steel I've seen around here are built like they could withstand a RPG hit (not like the old days where they bow).  Getting rid of them would cost the club money (or cutting them).   So maybe the idea of Pepper Popper use at a level 1 would be OK, but level 2 & above would not??  Dunno...just a thought.  

Level 2 matches around here have been on it!  Dedicated & friendly RO's, chrono, mag gauge, scale, calibration gun/ammo & etc....

• 3 weeks later...

It’s pretty obvious from both the experiences here and lack of consistent application of poppers that they have the potential to make competition less fair.

A true competitor wants the competition to be as fair as possible.

You don’t have to experience something to know it has the potential to not work well; especially when so many of your fellow competitors are telling you, specifically, this doesn’t work well.

And I just beat JJ on 3 stages today.  Shooting minor.  So boom.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been popper f*#ked multiple times.  Most of them are on the forward-falling poppers where the latching mechanism just failed.  On 2 occasions the RM did pick up my mag on the ground and took it to chrono, and both times the PF were well above 125.   

If we ban the forward-falling poppers, and make sure the poppers are placed on level and solid ground (ground that does not sink after the popper falls down many times), I think it will eliminate 99% of the issues.