Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ignorance Vs Stupidity

dajarrel

This brings up some really rough memories.

Several years ago I was out drinking a couple of cocktails at a social event when when of the very senior executives in the company taps me on the shoulder and tells me he would like me to swing by his office next week - he has some things he wants to run by me.

So later, I get on his calendar and the meeting finally comes.

I'm in his office, a young manager, realizing that this is an opportunity to really boost the ole' career. So we're going through this one deal and I get a little puzzled on something he says. He looks at me, I ask how he's going to do whatever it is he said, and he rattles off a couple of systems deals that will do it.

I looked up at him and said "well, I feel pretty stupid right now" and he smiles, pauses, and says "you're not stupid, you're ignorant" Hmmmmm . . . I felt so much better.

J

Thanks, but I KNOW the meaning of the word. In most contexts--no matter how gently applied--it'd come out sounding like a freepin' insult. "Ignorant" and "stupid" are words I seldom hear publicly used except in EXTREME circumstances... especially used seriously. (In jest and in private doesn't count). :angry:

I think it was Samuel Clemons who said, "Everybody's ignorant.....only on different subjects."

From that I decided there's no shame in being ignorant. It just means nobody ever taught you any better. But after you've been shown over and over again, and still presist in ignoring the lessons received, you leap squarely into the realm of stupid.

• 1 month later...

Ignorance is just not knowing something. There are plenty of things I'm ignorant about, and I'm OK with that!

Stupidity is having the knowledge necessary for a certain situation, and not applying that knowledge. Alternatively: knowing the right thing to do, and not doing it anyway.

Albert Einstein once told a student "Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I assure you that mine are greater." Because of his drive to unravel the mysteries of the universe, he became aware of the limitiations in mathematics at the time. He knew that he didn't know.

I don't know if this is ignorance or stupidity or just lack of product knowledge or if it even belongs here but this was what first came to mind when I saw the topic...

I called up Bass Pro Shop to look for Ramshot Silhouette powder and you know what the guy on the phone told me? "The only powders we have are Alliant and Hagen Daaz...."

I BS you not.......

I called up Bass Pro Shop to look for Ramshot Silhouette powder and you know what the guy on the phone told me? "The only powders we have are Alliant and Hagen Daaz...."

Athena. I wish you would have asked Mr. Gun Knowledge, "Will 5.4 grains of Double Chocolate Mint make major in my .40?" :lol:

On the Melt scale my information tells me in order of fastest to slowest:

Blue Bell

Hagen Daaz

Blue Bunny

Bordens

all synthetics...

Use this information with caution...over indulgence may cause digestive problems and cause your clothes to shrink in the long run... :lol: