Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I reseat and crimp?

mpmo

Got a few hundred rounds loaded that are a tad too long for a new gun I just got. Probably need 0.005 less OAL. Rounds are lightly crimped, HAP 125gr. Pressure won’t be an issue with the shorter OAL. Can I put them back in the press and reseat them a bit shorter?

Got a few hundred rounds loaded that are a tad too long for a new gun I just got. Probably need 0.005 less OAL. Rounds are lightly crimped, HAP 125gr. Pressure won’t be an issue with the shorter OAL. Can I put them back in the press and reseat them a bit shorter?
Yep I do it all the time. Just turn your seating stem adjustment shortly so you don't overdo it. Measure twice, seat once lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You can, but I would not recommend it. I sm sure you have seen the photos o people trying reset high priners. If you have a loaded round and try putting back into the seat or crimp slot and some t hing does happen that would not be good. I would just shoot this in the gun they were loaded for, and make some new rounds for the new gun. 

47 minutes ago, mpmo said:

Yes, not a problem, especially with jacketed.

Should be no problem....unless you have a very aggressive crimp on a coated bullet.  Which the OP says his are "lightly crimped."

You should be good to go.  

Edited by Batmo

Ok.  I might actually try a bit more crimp before I seat deeper.  I will likely be doing this on my progressive.  Nothing will touch the primers.

Thanks all!

26 minutes ago, mpmo said:

Ok.  I might actually try a bit more crimp before I seat deeper.  I will likely be doing this on my progressive.  Nothing will touch the primers.

If you want to crimp more do that after re-seating them, not prior.

Also, be aware that the taper crimp used for a 9mm bullet isn't what is holding the bullet in place. It's the neck tension below the crimp that holds the bullet in place.  The taper crimp simply removes the bell or flair that you put in the case mouth so you can seat the bullet without scraping.  Point being, don't over crimp.  Set your crimp around 0.378" or so and never worry about it again.

Sorry, should have been more clear.  I am going to try to crimp a bit more at the existing OAL to see if they plunk.  If they don't, I will shoot that round out of the gun it was meant for.  Take a new round, shorten the OAL a smidge, crimp, plunk.  Etc.  

FWIW, these rounds already all passed guaging in a Hundo.  Could still be the crimp though right?

I wouldn't be messing with any of this if not for the shortage...

Edited by mpmo

I’ve reseated many rounds with no issue, even coated and they always work just fine. I’ll always reseat and then crimp as if I was loading the rounds.

If your rounds already already pass a Hundo gauge I would say that the crimp is good, but the oal is to long if your rounds won’t plunk in your new gun.

On 8/28/2020 at 8:42 AM, mpmo said:

I've got, IMO, one of the finest seating dies available, and I sure don't expect my COALs to be within .005"!  My thoughts are that if your crimp is ONLY removing the initial bell/expansion, and you can check this by measuring the components of your round, then by all means seat them a bit shorter and recrimp!  Take one of your existing rounds that are .005" too long, and disassemble the round.  If there's a crimp groove around whatever bullet you're using, then reseating and recrimping may destroy the accuracy of the round.

🤔