Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hollow Base Plated Bullets

Howard B

Not that there are any to be found at present,  but has anyone had experience with Berry’s  (or other brand) hollow base plated bullets?  Is accuracy and velocity comparable to flat base?  Do they expand to fit bore like black powder Minie bullets?  Benefits/ liabilities for minor PF loads?   A lot of questions, but an old dog trying to learn something new.  Thanks Howard

If remember correctly they are “double struck”. What ever the hell that means..

I believe they’re rated to higher velocities than their standard plated bullets.

When I did use them I don’t know that I remember any perceivable difference in the accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just tried some 124gr in my Shadow 2 and it loved them.  Fed well and were very accurate.  My bullet feeder didn't like them at all.  I kept getting upside down bullets every 10th round no matter what I did.

They don't really expand or seal better like a Minie ball, the base is still too thick.  What the hollow base does is make the driving band of the bullet longer, hence the claim of better accuracy.  In 124 gr 9mm I didn't really notice improved accuracy but in 100 gr .380 I most certainly do see improved accuracy vs. the flat base version.  Likely because the .380 is such a small bullet and the driving band is so short to begin with that any increase of the the driving band is bound to help.

I shoot both and the hollow base is a tad more accurate.  The only other difference is thick plate, so you can use the hollw base for 9 major.

2 hours ago, BadShot said:

I kept getting upside down bullets every 10th round no matter what I did.

Pull the tabs out more and that problem will go away.  You also have to have the righting arm adjusted correctly.  Took me a bit to figure it out, because the JHPs worked perfectly.  Once I did I've loaded thousands without one upside down bullet.

7 hours ago, BJB said:

They don't really expand or seal better like a Minie ball, the base is still too thick.  What the hollow base does is make the driving band of the bullet longer, hence the claim of better accuracy.  In 124 gr 9mm I didn't really notice improved accuracy but in 100 gr .380 I most certainly do see improved accuracy vs. the flat base version.  Likely because the .380 is such a small bullet and the driving band is so short to begin with that any increase of the the driving band is bound to help.

^^^^this, longer bearing surface. 

I noticed they are more accurate than the FB 185 grain in my 45. You may have to increase powder charge a bit to compensate for the extra case volume the hollow base provides. 

I have used them and wasn't impressed.  Shot from multiple Glocks', a BHP, an STI Ranger II, and a CZ.

I tended to get a lot of keyholing.

I also had a plated HP that did the same but with fewer keyholes.

FWIW I never had this problem with Xtreme bullets nor Berrys' RN.

I use them for both my PCC and open gun loads.

I like that I can seat a bit deeper with the hollow base and still have the "pocket" to develop gas for the round. 

Now, if i can only find more. I am down to about 3500 freedom seeds and need more.

6 hours ago, RePete said:

I have used them and wasn't impressed.  Shot from multiple Glocks', a BHP, an STI Ranger II, and a CZ.

I tended to get a lot of keyholing.

I also had a plated HP that did the same but with fewer keyholes.

FWIW I never had this problem with Xtreme bullets nor Berrys' RN.

Have you tried speeding them up some? Longer bullet needs more twist or speed to stabilize. Just a thought. 

15 hours ago, Farmer said:

^^^^this, longer bearing surface. 

I noticed they are more accurate than the FB 185 grain in my 45. You may have to increase powder charge a bit to compensate for the extra case volume the hollow base provides. 

The hollow base does not provide extra volume compared to a flat base bullet with the same nose shape and weight and seated to the same COAL. 

4 hours ago, superdude said:

The hollow base does not provide extra volume compared to a flat base bullet with the same nose shape and weight and seated to the same COAL. 

Are you figuring that the longer bullet seated the same takes up the space provided by the hollow base?

15 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Are you figuring that the longer bullet seated the same takes up the space provided by the hollow base?

Which are you calling the longer bullet? If both bullets are made by the same manufacturer and have the same nose shape and weight, the hollow base version bullet is longer. This picture (below) is of Berry's 148 grain wadcutter bullets. The one on the right has a hollow base and it is longer than the plain base bullet on the left. When seated to the same COAL (with the hollow base down), the space remaining inside the case (powder chamber) is the same for both bullets. 

Berrys 148 grain wadcutters.jpg

The hollow base is of course longer because of the hollow base for the same grain weight. With the hollow base seated the same as the solid flat base the loaded case will have more internal volume with the hollow base bullet. It may be minor but How can it Not?

9 minutes ago, Farmer said:

The hollow base is of course longer because of the hollow base for the same grain weight. With the hollow base seated the same as the solid flat base the loaded case will have more internal volume with the hollow base bullet. It may be minor but How can it Not?

Read about Archimedes, 

because it is made of same material and weighs the same SOOOO it takes up the same volume.  With the same outside shape only 2 possibilities exist depending on the depth of the hollow base.
Option 1 , cavity is completely below case mouth when seated.  Volume would be identical. The same volume of lead is external to the case in both bullets. Therefore the same exact volume must be inside the case.

Option  2, Cavity is above case mouth when seated. Volume of the hollow base would actually be LESS than a solid flat base. The part of the HB bullet outside the case would weigh less than the same part on the solid bullet. Therefore there must be more weight and volume inside the case.

hate to break it to the fans. But these hollowbase bullets are snakeoil marketing lies.
The alloy is too hard to expand and seal at handgun pressure. You DONOT get any extra gas volume at same weight, same OAL, Only thing you get is a bit more bearing surface, which is gonna amount to squat difference. As plated bullets arnt that accurate to begin with. Anyone really concerned is going to be using an oversized cast or true jacket.

9 hours ago, Farmer said:

That's a little vague. Do you mean the same COAL or to the same depth? The details matter. 

To reiterate, if the two bullets in my photo are seated to the same COAL (with the hollow base down), let's say flush with the case mouth of a 38 Special, so at the same 1.155" COAL, the remaining internal space for the powder will be exactly the same for both. 

I need to find my test info where years ago I checked internal volume between FB & HB seated at same oal. If my fading memory is correct I found that internal volume is more with HB bullets by .3 to .6 grains. 
I’ve got work to do. 

Edited by Farmer

19 minutes ago, Farmer said:

I need to find my test info where years ago I checked internal volume between FB & HB seated at same oal. If my fading memory is correct I found that internal volume is more with HB bullets by .3 to .6 grains. 
I’ve got work to do. 

This is an issue of logic. If the two bullets have the same weight and are made of the same material, they occupy the same volume even if they are shaped differently. If they are seated to the same COAL (and let's stay with wadcutters seated flush), they occupy the same volume in the case. Thus the remaining volume in the case is the same. 

People get confused about the hollow base.  They think that it makes more room in the case. It doesn't.  The lead that was in the hollow base, is moved to the side. That's why they have the same weight, and that's why they have the same volume, even though it shape has changed.

The only way a hollow base can make more room in the case is if the lead removed from the base is not added back to the bullet. But if you do that, the bullet weighs less. 

Wow.  Or as we say in this part of the country - Boy Howdy.  Y’all keep going.  And it seemed like a simple question(s).  Thanks for all the responses.  So far my take away is longer bearing surface in my trusty G34 will have more theoretical effect than practical.  At barely above minor PF,  little to no difference.