Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What exactly do I have to do to ship 2000 rds of ammo?

-Carrier: UPS?

-Packaging: ORM-D?

-Maximum weight?

-Other issues?

Yes, I can call UPS and other carriers, but you never get a straight answer out of them over the phone, and I don't want to be sent back, or commit some avoidable mistake...

--Detlef

Wrap it up and send it.

Tape the box up well.

I get loaded ammo often (9mm Blazer @ $4.80/box).

2,000 rounds should be just fine on the weight.  Really tape the boxes though.

UPS brings it.  Nothing special.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 7:58 pm on Oct. 17, 2001)

Detlef,

This is how I used to send boatloads of ammo to Second Chance. I'd put a small old towel in an large (not the skinny small ones) army ammo can and then just fill er up. fold the towel over the top, making sure it was packed tight so the ammo wouldn't rattle. Then i'd tape the crap out of it. And, I actually would declare it as ammo - a big move for me. Often they'd open it up - never had a problem. I know these days they open up just about everything, so I'd be (mentally) ready to have it inspected.

One last trick you may or may not have at your disposal. These days, I ship everything through Derrick Martin (at Accuracy Speaks) because the UPS guy never looks at or cares about anything coming from a gun shop. The moral is: any way you can avoid actually going to the UPS depot is a good thing.

be

I just shipped ten cartons of brass off to Zero.  Tape the box on every join, seam and edge.  (Tape is cheap.)  The maximum weight UPS allows is 150 pounds, but the drivers are a lot happier if you keep it under 60-70.

Tell them it is brass  (Or ammo)  The guy at UPS didn't care, he just wanted to know what it was.

I get ammo all the time, and the UPS driver only complains when it is heavy, not that it is ammo.

FedEx now has a Ground serive, and I'm going to check prices, as I've always been happy with FedEx, and UPS has been cranky a few times.  (I guess insuring a package for $6000 raised a few eyebrows.)

FYI, for the people who habitually use UPS because it is ostensibly "cheaper" than FedEx - I've found FedEx to be actually *less* expensive in certain circumstances. (I never would have guessed this until I checked.)  Be sure to get a quote on both - you can do it over the web.  (I just shipped a pistol via FedEx for $7 less than UPS and got a better grade of delivery.)

Eric

-Carrier: UPS?

Sure.

-Packaging: ORM-D?

Yes, or nothing. (BTW, ORM is Other Retail Merchandise. I've seen a box of cosmetics labelled ORM-D.)

-Maximum weight?

Keep it under 70 pounds.

-Other issues?

Ground only. (You don't want to pay to ship lead by air anyway.) Don't let anybody tell you that it's HazMat or that there are other special restrictions.

just shipped 79 lbs of ammo from the local UPS depot (if they had given me grief I'd have gone to an outlet).

Packed it in one big Compaq box, using Brians method with two army surplus metal containers + towels and shirts inside. Clerk hardly looked at my sheet (where I declared it as *ammunition*), and off it was. So was I (minus $ 45)...

Thanks, guys...

--Detlef

• 4 years later...

The ship-from-a-gun-store method is still by far the best. My local regiional UPS office doesn't like to accept ORM-D from walk-in customers, though sometimes you can convince them to.

About two weeks before the FL. Open I shipped 600 rounds to myself at Frank's place. UPS. Used an old cardboard ammo case that already had the ORM-D markings on it. $21 bucks, a LOT of packing tape and surprisingly no problems.

Wish I could say the same for the flight with 3 pistols and 14 mags....what a hassle that was.

my experience...

Fedex will not touch it unless you are an FFL same for DHL.

UPS has no problem but will not ship it air so make sure you ship it early enough.

Keep the box at 70# or under.

Lable it ORM-D and I even added "Small Arms Ammo" sitcker on it.

DO NOT take it to a mailbox etc. or the like quick ship places. They are not allowed to accept that type shipment.

I went to the UPS depot and they were very helpful and gave me no crap. I shipped 4 70# boxes out. Funny thing is i live in a military town and they thought I was shipping ammo to a training facility in prep for being deployed. LOL! (Funny part is I look deployable. Mid 40's, overweight, and a limp)

Steven

I've got training in hazardous materials shipping. For shipping small arms ammunition, here's what you need to do.

Pack the ammo in boxes. The intent of the regulations is to use packaging similar to what factory ammo comes in. You may use plastic ammo boxes also but they are heavier than cardboard and styrofoam. Scrounge the boxes and trays out of the trash from your local range. Packing loose is not allowed unless it's .22 rimfire.

Place those boxes inside another corrugated cardboard box. Pack it snugly. Don't allow the inside boxes to rattle around.

Placard the box with ORM-D which stands for Other Regulated Material class D. Underneath the words "Small Arms Ammunition". Not 'Ammo', 'Ammunition'.

Maximum gross weight is 30 kg (66 pounds) per package. It will be shipped by ground. Take it to UPS and use their ORM-D Ground Service.

By doing the above you've reclassified what would have been Division 1.4S Explosive into a Consumer Commodity and you do not have to fill out any HazMat paperwork. If you do not do the above then you have to go the full blown HazMat transportation treatment. You don't want to go there.

Excerpt of 49 CFR 173.63

Sec. 173.63  Packaging exceptions.

(b) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices. 
(1) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices (which are used to project fastening devices) which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed, offered for transportation, and transported as ORM-D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM-D material is limited to:
	(i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun;
	(ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;
	(iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive projectiles;
	(iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and
	(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices.
(2) Packaging for cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices as ORM-D material must be as follows:
	(i) Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;
	(ii) Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;
	(iii) Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings;
	(iv) Maximum gross weight is limited to 30 kg (66 pounds) per package; and
	(v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packagings.

One last caveat. You, the shipper are responsible for the proper packing, labeling, and declaration of your material. If you don't think it's important, I'd suggest you talk to the families of those on Value Jet flight 592.

UPS ORM-D Ground Service - http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources...round_ormd.html

Tidbit from the International Ammunition Association - http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm

• 1 month later...

Just to add my two cents..... I've shipped a lot of ammo without any problems. UPS will take your ammo...as long as it's the facility, not the UPS store.

You are REQUIRED to properly label your box with the ORM-D label.

Don't confuse this Haz Mat with the real Haz Mat. Even though ammo is still Haz Mat, you are not required to go thru the expensive Haz Mat training courses. Powder and Primers do have to have the training.

Just label the properly packaged box of ammo and drop it off at the closest UPS facility. The UPS stores do not "normally" accept ammo.

Take it, print it and stick it..... :)

OD15.jpg

**eta** oops, sorry, didn't realize how old this thread was.

Edited by lpspinner

• 5 months later...

Was it a UPS "store" (used to be a Mailboxes Etc), or was it a UPS "shipping center" (industrial park, lotsa brown trucks rolling in and out, sounds of packages being tossed onto conveyor belts in the background)?

If the former... yeah, they aren't really a UPS outlet, they just accept packages for UPS shipment, but they have lotsa "rules" that a "real" UPS shipping counter doesn't have. A UPS "store" will not generally accept anything hazardous or gun-related, where a UPS shipping center doesn't bat an eye at those things.

B

• 3 weeks later...

I switched calibers a few months ago on my carry gun and sold off all the "stockpile" of carry ammo I had. Took the first box I sold to UPS customer service counter and was told that you have to either be a ffl holder or certified in haz mat to ship it. We argued a bit and she went and asked the supervisor and came back with the same answer, no.

It's a whole lot easier if you know somebody with a daily pickup. Especially if they ship ORM-D occasionally (gun stores are ideal), 'cause then the driver really doesn't care. The counters don't want anything to do with complexity or risk.