Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starline 9mm case capacity

ozzyj

Hi all - I currently load SIG brass for 9mm but thinking about making the switch to Starline.  Anyone have experience with a similar switch?  I've heard anecdotal evidence that Starline 9mm has (a lot) less case capacity than other headstamps but wondering if this is internet lore or real.

Either way I plan to safely work up a load but wanted to see if anyone had similar first hand experience.

News to me!  Would it even be possible to have a smaller case capacity if the case is the same size?  Unless the brass is thicker, a sized sig case and a sized starline case should be the same length.  Or am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, stick said:

News to me!  Would it even be possible to have a smaller case capacity if the case is the same size?  Unless the brass is thicker, a sized sig case and a sized starline case should be the same length.  Or am I missing something?

You are missing looking inside the brass, with 9mm there is variation in how the case is hollowed out. 

fill it with water,,, weigh it.Good easy way to find out.
I'm not an open 9 shooter, but for anything else other than stepped walled 9mm I gave up caring about seperating bt brand many many moons ago

As far as case capacity, I'm sure there are variances. Take 38super and 38supercomp. The case capacity of the super is more than the supercomp, due to the way the brass is made (supercomp has a thicker web), yet both are almost identical in external appearance (except for the lack of a semi rim on SC).

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

fill it with water,,, weigh it.Good easy way to find out.
I'm not an open 9 shooter, but for anything else other than stepped walled 9mm I gave up caring about seperating bt brand many many moons ago

I separate my 9 brass, because I load for open. I load fed, win, r/p, and blazer brass.  All other head stamps are loaded minor loads.  My major load is 6.9grns if WAC, under 124 hp Delta percissision, wit a wspm. 1400 fps power factor 173

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

You are missing looking inside the brass, with 9mm there is variation in how the case is hollowed out. 

I'll have to do some hands on research with different brass.  I have starline brass laying around.

3 hours ago, stick said:

Thicker webs 

I use AA#9 because it’s almost the same weight as h2o. (Within .1 +-grains per cc) Sorry I didn’t have any sig brass. 
Buffalo- 12.8g Made by Starline

CBC- 12.8

S&B- 12.9

NAT- 13.0

WCC-12.4

Starline-12.8

PMC-12.7

CCI-12.4

FED-13.0

Hornady-13.7

Speer-12.6

So far these are all the ones that I have done. All were sized, primer seated, filled with #9 struck off level and poured into scale pan & weighed. 

Edited by Farmer