Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 sight tracker. Possible open build.

Sammon87

So a few months ago I started researching how to make a shadow 2 into a sight tracker. And I stumbled across the open build theory thread by mr atlas, paired with some heavy google research and here we are.  My shadow 2 project has a czechmate barrel and sight block. The slide from the shadow 2 has to be shortened about an eight inch for the sight block to be threaded completely on the barrel. However, there is enough material left on the recoil spring housing that you do not need to use a reverse plug. So you can keep your shadow 2 guide rod. I did end up putting a reverse plug in mine and stroked it 2 mm, but there’s no felt difference to me. The cone bushing on the sight block needed to be fit in the shadow 2 barrel bushing, so I used a step drill bit and a carbide cutter on a dremel to hand fit it. Definitely the hard way to do it, but it fits tighter than my original barrel and bushing.  After that’s the front of the frame needed to be milled into accommodate the sight block sliding back. The frame itself doesn’t have to be shortened, jut opened up.  The top of the sight block lines up perfectly with the slide and I popped in a 7.5 mm fiber front and let it eat. I know the machining isn’t the prettiest but I figured I’d share my experience with anyone who might want to try and do the same, or possibly run a comp and make a bad ass shadow 2 open gun. Big shout out to Kneeling Atlas for the help allocating parts. 

BDF46CA3-7762-4AA6-8040-5DB845ADDD67.jpeg

1722E5DA-6F11-4571-9A0D-5C7FBEE5D81E.jpeg

21 minutes ago, LuvDog said:

Instead of shortening the slide by 2mm could you have taken that off the sight block instead?  

Yes you could have, however with the cone on the sight block you’d have to keep that dimension intact and then you’d have to ream the original barrel bushing that much further. I thought about doing that as well but I didn’t want to deal with keeping the material around the cone intact 

10 hours ago, mveto said:

I’ve always wondered about a sight tracker CZ, glad to see someone take on the challenge. Looks really cool sure it shoots super flat and fast.

Sam did the hard work of fitting the cone to the bushing of his Shadow 2 slide, if you use a TS slide, you cut the slide further back behind the bushing or is you use a CZ 75 slide and a TS barrel, you can cut the cone off the sight block, like this:

963734139_TSTracker2.thumb.JPG.68a78729549b97ae73110bbef4ad9619.JPG

This one is actually a Witness one port comp with the port welded up.

• 10 months later...
On 7/3/2020 at 7:42 PM, Sammon87 said:

So a few months ago I started researching how to make a shadow 2 into a sight tracker. And I stumbled across the open build theory thread by mr atlas, paired with some heavy google research and here we are.  My shadow 2 project has a czechmate barrel and sight block. The slide from the shadow 2 has to be shortened about an eight inch for the sight block to be threaded completely on the barrel. However, there is enough material left on the recoil spring housing that you do not need to use a reverse plug. So you can keep your shadow 2 guide rod. I did end up putting a reverse plug in mine and stroked it 2 mm, but there’s no felt difference to me. The cone bushing on the sight block needed to be fit in the shadow 2 barrel bushing, so I used a step drill bit and a carbide cutter on a dremel to hand fit it. Definitely the hard way to do it, but it fits tighter than my original barrel and bushing.  After that’s the front of the frame needed to be milled into accommodate the sight block sliding back. The frame itself doesn’t have to be shortened, jut opened up.  The top of the sight block lines up perfectly with the slide and I popped in a 7.5 mm fiber front and let it eat. I know the machining isn’t the prettiest but I figured I’d share my experience with anyone who might want to try and do the same, or possibly run a comp and make a bad ass shadow 2 open gun. Big shout out to Kneeling Atlas for the help allocating parts. 

BDF46CA3-7762-4AA6-8040-5DB845ADDD67.jpeg

1722E5DA-6F11-4571-9A0D-5C7FBEE5D81E.jpeg

Hi, will the czechmate reverse plug fit?