Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Internal slide wear marks on a brand new Staccato xc

SamA

The store that sold me the 'new' gun denied that it was used. They were not willing to do anything. Pretty pathetic. I gave STI their info of course and they were going to investigate. But this is one of the premier gun clubs in Houston and they host STI events twice a year. So i think they will get a pass IMO.

15 hours ago, Kema said:

Almost looks like degreasing was not done properly and coating failed.

Maybe QC guide dog was having a break or day off.

Maybe they took the last 10 years off at sti?

Just my opinion, those seem to be the sliding contact surfaces and contact of blued steel on blued steel while racking with the recoil spring in would do that. Maybe I’m not seeing the rounded surfaces indicative of not properly fit. If that’s DLC or something then something is absolutely wrong. I wouldn’t expect bluing to hold up to much wear at all and it doesn’t look like very smooth mating of surfaces which will only hasten it.  

All that said, for the price paid, that doesn’t seem acceptable. They need to get a better surface treatment, especially if that’s a 4340 and not 416R. At least a salt nitriding. 

Edited by Benevolence

• 3 weeks later...

So STI called me back a few days after receiving the gun and said that the gun is new and the marks on the gun are because of the tight fit and if they sent me a new gun it would have the same marks.I explained to them that I own a number of custom 2011s that are hand fitted (Atlas gunworks) but have zero internal slide wear after 2k rounds. But the person who called said he is on the production side and the customer service and marketing guys are not familiar with these things. If I had sent him the pics he would have told me not to bother sending the gun in. The gun is back with me and I am running it on the range getting ready for a steel match.

3 hours ago, SamA said:

So STI called me back a few days after receiving the gun and said that the gun is new and the marks on the gun are because of the tight fit and if they sent me a new gun it would have the same marks.I explained to them that I own a number of custom 2011s that are hand fitted (Atlas gunworks) but have zero internal slide wear after 2k rounds. But the person who called said he is on the production side and the customer service and marketing guys are not familiar with these things. If I had sent him the pics he would have told me not to bother sending the gun in. The gun is back with me and I am running it on the range getting ready for a steel match.

And their thoughts on the lug wear?

How is anyone surprised by their poor workmanship response? This is par for the course with those guys for a long time now. The response of “you would get the same thing with a new gun” is very telling. They are either incapable of building guns right or are intentionally cutting corners.

They can change the name of the company but it’s not going to change the quality of the product.