Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Internal slide wear marks on a brand new Staccato xc

SamA

Hi all. Purchased a new Staccato xc. Brought it home and disassembled to clean. Noticed wear marks where the coating/blueing is already wearing. In your opinion does it look like I was sold a used gun or is it a fit and finish problem with STI? I have another STI with about 1200 rounds through it. Looks better than this one.

IMG_3469.jpg

754819D9-4F48-4E1F-B4C7-D52C7D1044E6.jpeg

I'd tend to agree with echotango....

The unfinished part on the slide stop seems to be common, though... I've seen it before on brand new slide stops and believe it's where they hung it when it was blued/finished.

5 minutes ago, echotango said:

Not a new gun.  Unless it was spray painted, it should not have that wear like that on the inside yet.  Lug edges look rolled (fitting issue). 

So in your opinion take it back to the store and get a refund?

51 minutes ago, echotango said:

Not a new gun.  Unless it was spray painted, it should not have that wear like that on the inside yet.  Lug edges look rolled (fitting issue). 

I agree with echo, the locking lug edges look like they are rolled.  This should not be happening if the barrel is fitted properly.   Contract the maker and they should correct it.

I'd say someone at the store probably put some rounds through it, then put it back on the shelf.  Those lugs will roll pretty quick if clearance and/or timing isn't correct, which seems to be the case.  Some people think STI have improved since the branding change, but from what I've seen, it's pretty much the same.

20 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

I'd say someone at the store probably put some rounds through it, then put it back on the shelf.  Those lugs will roll pretty quick if clearance and/or timing isn't correct, which seems to be the case.  Some people think STI have improved since the branding change, but from what I've seen, it's pretty much the same.

i opened today STI  9mm open shorty  . gun after 25k  factory ammo. barrel lower lug fit - perfect👍

except  few burrs in few places on the frame no any signs of wear on upper lugs of the barrel and slide. even t.  gold finish like new.

this gun was assembled by STI by pro gunsmith.

That is some pretty substantial wear for a new gun. My CK Thunder 5.4 Limited in 9mm has 5k throught it and vurtually no finish wear, let alone the lug area looking like it had been fitted with a pipewrench. That is insane.

11 hours ago, yigal said:

i opened today STI  9mm open shorty  . gun after 25k  factory ammo. barrel lower lug fit - perfect👍

except  few burrs in few places on the frame no any signs of wear on upper lugs of the barrel and slide. even t.  gold finish like new.

this gun was assembled by STI by pro gunsmith.

Well, I'm sure OP feels a lot better knowing you got a good one.  Apparently he didn't.  Same company, no?

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Well, I'm sure OP feels a lot better knowing you got a good one.  Apparently he didn't.  Same company, no?

it's not mine . it's belong to one of  club member .

In recent years, seeing a STI  built in such a good way is rare  for me.

to OP can u post pic. of barrel upper lugs? it can help to know more about second pic.

Edited by yigal

On 7/2/2020 at 8:06 AM, ltdmstr said:

Some people think STI have improved since the branding change, but from what I've seen, it's pretty much the same.

This post ties in perfectly with the post about STI changing its name and changing it’s focus away from the competition world. Competition shooters are more likely to identify the less than stellar quality STI has come to be known for. They also shoot enough, to experience the quality/longevity issues that require warranty work, which costs them a bunch of money. 

But in-terms of this gun, whether it’s new or used is irrelevant. That barrel isn’t timed correctly! And is going to need to see a qualified gunsmith, or you might be purchasing a new slide and barrel after it sears off the lugs. 

I don’t want to throw gasoline on the fire...but I’d not be surprised to see them discontinue warranty repairs/replacements in the near future. They could simply say “sorry, that’s an STI gun. They don’t exist anymore and we only serviced them as a courtesy during the transition....”. I hope that’s not the case, as I own 6 STI pistols and my wife owns 4 and half of them had to return to STI at various points for warranty issues....but it may be a strategic change coming...

Guys i contacted Stacatto2011 via email with pictures attached. They asked me to file a warranty claim, which i did and today i received an overnight shipping label. Have shipped the gun back and as per Dustin (the phone contact there) they should ship me out a new gun. But lets wait and see once they receive the gun and physically check it, what the final outcome will be.