Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian wide frame. mags

jcc7x7

Need some aggravation SO thinking of building a Caspian wide frame.

Which mags fit other than mbx.

I've heard tango with a notch cut out to clear the top of the frame but no sure where I got that information

Thanks for the help

Me, too, but I don't know for sure.  Seems like they have pulled a dickerson and doorknob trick and won't supply magazines.

Pity, they could have sold me one if they had supported their products.    

Edited by Jim Watson

Tanfoglio mags take about 2 min to mod for caspians,

on the RHside (as it sits in the gun pointed away from you) the front corner needs to be squared up and relived until the tube will go in far enough for the mag release to lock in

on the LH side the notch for the slode stop needs to be enlarged to clear the slide stop. 

Taylor Freelance base pads need a little reliving on the sides to clear the EGW magwell not sure about the henning pads. 

with the 140 extensions from TF and Grams guts I get 23 reloadable with the TF 170 extension and guts I get 28 Reloadable. 

I have had good luck with my MBX 170 and 140 mags, but they currently seem to be unobtanium 

Just don’t. Caspian leaves his customers in the cold when concerning magazines.

have had 2 Caspians Custom build here in Europe. Caspian doesn’t give a sh*t for his European customers. When there were no more .40 mags available from Caspian, they just told me bad luck, sorry.

Caspian? Never more for me.

The Caspian wide body frame is an excellent base to work from. The Tanfoglio(Mec-gar) mags are a good option with just a slight modification as mentioned above and the original Caspian 9mm/38 super are a very good option in 19 and 21 round capacity. One can have 2 of these mags welded together to make a 170mm length.  The Pro-Mag option isn't worth messing with too many problems to over come.

With a Caspian frame your are building a custom pistol so the sky is the limit. To say Caspian doesn't support their product because of magazines doesn't fly because I can name a half dozen companies who have never made a magazine for their product ie most of the modular frame clones on the market. You have to go buy SV, STI, or MBX magazine.

The Caspian frame was designed to be the smallest double stack frame for the 38 super/9mm cartridge for an Open Division gun and is wide enough to support a true double stack .40 cartridge which makes Limited Div. possible with it.

Rich

Rich

Thanks for the input.

I've worked on a few Caspians for customers and they seem fine.

I didn't or didn't remember which mags could be retro fitted for it.

Had knee replacement surgery and looking for a project and I've built enough 1911's on Caspains to choke a horse or several  maybe!

Right now it's a thinking out loud project.

Thanks for everyone's input

I have 2 Caspians. the guns are great for those of us with smaller hands. The quality is very good, and have had no issues with the company. Yes, mags can be an issue, MBX is supposed to be running some in the near future. Also see that Adrian is building another pistol, that may be a good sign. I have found that the large frame mags for EAA/Tangfo will work. Takes a little more than 2 mins to make function, but they do work, and I like that route better than welding 2 Caspian mags. Caspians are like anything else, you take care of them, they take care of you. Never had one fail in competition.

• 2 years later...

Built a couple on Caspian Hi caps. They did originally offer mags for them but they weren't in house and were expensive. So with other options available, people opted for the less expensive aftermarket mags. With no sales, Caspian dropped their mags.

This is the last one I built. About 10 yrs ago.  .38 SC.

z1doX7A.jpg

I'm glad I came across this thread.  I was considering building a cheap Caspian widebody for 9mm Minor to screw around with and let new shooters dip their toes into the sport.  Shot them in the past and loved them then.  I don't need the headaches.  Thanks for the info.