Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Ricochet

Glock17open

My wife caught a jacket frag in her neck that missed the carotid artery by hair.

We were shooting a USPSA indoor match and they used steel knock down plates set on pedestals.  

The foot welded on the bottom of the plate forms a right angle and directs frags back to the shooter.

They still sell these damn things and I see them in matches all the time.

I caught 37 frags while flying fighter jets. There was so much frag explosions flying around it seemed like someone was trying really hard to kill me Lol. One was a 10 inch long twisted jagged piece of aluminum from my plane that cork screwed through my leg but I flew and landed that plane on a carrier deck while bleeding out real good. You're the lucky one it happened on land with people that had cell phones to help you.

2 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

I caught 37 frags while flying fighter jets. There was so much frag explosions flying around it seemed like someone was trying really hard to kill me Lol. One was a 10 inch long twisted jagged piece of aluminum from my plane that cork screwed through my leg but I flew and landed that plane on a carrier deck while bleeding out real good. You're the lucky one it happened on land with people that had cell phones to help you.

I didn't need a cell phone....

I just cut the frag out of my wife's neck with a sharp pocket knife.

Not all women are pussies.   Just sayin'

2 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

I have nothing but respect for you

4 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

1 hour ago, Glock17open said:

I have nothing but respect for you

Hear, hear...  +1000!  

9 hours ago, Glockster1 said:

What year, fighter jet and squadron were you stationed at when this happened? Which carrier did you land on?

• 2 months later...

Years ago my brother brought home from work some 1 1/4 X 6” steel circles and he thought they would make good targets. He had set one out at about 25 yards and said give that a try. I got up from the bench and moved it out to about 50 yards. I was shooting my TC Encore in 708 with 140 grain Ballistic tips and just wanted a little more distance. Should have been at a hundred because at the shot I heard a buzzz and felt an impact on my knee. It didn’t break the skin but abraded my jeans and left a hell of a raspberry on my knee that hurt like hell. On inspection it left about a 3/8 deep divot/pock mark in the plate which was just plain mild steel. If it would have been lighter and thinner it may have just spun to the side or fell over but being so heavy it hardly moved. Lesson learned!! I have used old plow disks at 100 yards and my 338 JDJ barely puts a dimple in them. They are very hard and dome shaped so they work well and as a plus they ring like a bell. 

Amazing stories!

My less amazing story was at a 3G match shooting shotgun slugs at a 70 yard steel target. I was sitting another 35-30 yards from the shooter, at about a 20-degree offset but dang if I didn't feel a warm burning in my lap... and found the slug. I think it lobbed in, no power left, but quite a surprise too. 

Not sure what people did there afterwards but we've all seen closer slug targets, same situation. 

Edited by Frankly

We shot a major PCC match a few years ago with only steel targets. We were walking on a gravel road to the next stage when my buddy felt a sting on his leg and stopped to look and a piece of brass was stuck in his leg. Have no idea where it came from. Caused it to bleed slightly. But could have been bad in an eye or face.

So reason why we wear eye pro all the time. 

Have seen many frags over the years in arms, faces, & legs.

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Vlakvark said:

I was at a Shoot over the weekend with Steel plates 6-7 yards away i was not comfortable with placing so i missed that stage. what is regarded a safe distance i these plates were on spring loaded mount 

If it was a USPSA match those plates were too close according to our rules. Minimum is 23 feet with a barricade and 26’ without. I generally take ten one yard strides just to be well outside minimums when placing steel.

Technically a DQ to engage closer than 23’ but they were illegal to start with