Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video - Reloading 9mm on my RL1100

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

I totally agree with getting the MBF die assembly if the whole system is not in the budget right now.  I updated to the Pro Dropper Assembly, and it's working like a charm!  And it holds 14 Zero 147 JHP bullets when shutting off the feeder.  Would definitely be more efficient that placing each bullet by hand...........been there, done that!

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mr-bulletfeeder-pro-dropper-assembly

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that.  So with the MBF die, you just end up dropping the bullets in at the top of the die???

For $10 less than the Pro-Dropper-Assembly is the Mini-MBF.  Wouldn't that be a better alternative?

Forgive all the questions, but I've been loading on a 550 for the last 25 years and have just now ordered an RL-1100.  So now I'm in high speed research/search/question/searchmore mode for the next 12+ weeks while I wait for it.  Hopefully some bullets will also get delivered around that time.

2 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that.  So with the MBF die, you just end up dropping the bullets in at the top of the die???

For $10 less than the Pro-Dropper-Assembly is the Mini-MBF.  Wouldn't that be a better alternative?

Forgive all the questions, but I've been loading on a 550 for the last 25 years and have just now ordered an RL-1100.  So now I'm in high speed research/search/question/searchmore mode for the next 12+ weeks while I wait for it.  Hopefully some bullets will also get delivered around that time.

4 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Yes you can drop it. I believe it holds 6 bullets iirc. I started with the mini MBF until I decided to buy the MBF. 

33 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Cuz:

I can truly appreciate your questions/concerns as I went through a very similar experience early last year.  After MANY years of loading on nothing but the XL650 platform, I made the move to an RL1100.  Waited 14 weeks from the time I ordered to the day it arrived!  What an ordeal!

Anyway, here's my thinking on the Pro Dropper Assembly vs the Mini MBF.  In today's prices, the Mini MBF will cost $138.85.  Then later you purchase the Mini to complete MBF upgrade for an additional $429.95.  Total without tax and shipping?  $568.80.

Purchase the Pro Dropper Assembly for $148.00.  Yes, a bit more time consuming but the Pro is a awesome upgrade!  Then purchase the full MBF at $469.95.  Total of $617.95.  But, this route gives you the option of selling the standard Dropper Assembly that comes with the MBF ($94.95) for a discounted price of say, $50-$75, and still be just under the above total for the Mini + MBF upgrade!  And you would still end up with the Pro Dropper Assembly which ,IMO, is a much desirable upgrade!

Regardless of which direction you choose, remember DAA Alpha Academy has a nice Labor Day Sale starting this weekend!

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/

HTHs 👍

One consideration about the MiniMBF is that if you use it you will be loading it as an operation separate from your loading session. So you are doing two sequential steps.

If you just use the die to drop your bullets then you are loading the bullets in parallel with your loading session.

I bought the MiniMBF and used it for a while but once I realized I was basically having to add another step to the loading sequence I took it off and now just place the bullet by hand into the top of the dropper die.

On 9/3/2020 at 6:56 PM, HOGRIDER said:

I'm going to try this, the Whistler setup I am using and have posted about previously works ok, but the screen is small and the entire setup takes up a lot of room really.

Which Tablet Mount are you using - I looked on Amazon there are so many - most seem to be desktop mount or screw into the wall type mounts...  It looks like you found one that clamps to the case feeder upright?

Edited by 78Staff

9 hours ago, 78Staff said:

I'm going to try this, the Whistler setup I am using and have posted about previously works ok, but the screen is small and the entire setup takes up a lot of room really.

Which Tablet Mount are you using - I looked on Amazon there are so many - most seem to be desktop mount or screw into the wall type mounts...  It looks like you found one that clamps to the case feeder upright?

78:

I use components made by Ram Mounts.  My setup is very similar to this one, and yes it mounts to the case feeder upright:

https://www.markvii-loading.com/accessories/mark-7-spare-parts/101-1134-02.html

I had a spare 10" tablet laying around......but to be honest, I think it's a bit big.  A 4"-7" would probably give plenty of viewing space..........

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

6 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

And for comparison purposes, a 6 3/8"(?) iPhone view vs a 10" tablet view..............

Compare.png

Mine arrived today, the cable is not as stiff as my Whistler setup so it's hard to get it in the right position, and when I do it's easy to bump out of the way - but I am going to play around with it.  But the core functions all work, linked it to an 8" Samsung Tablet.  There is the briefest delay for my setup - not sure if due to older tablet, android version (7.something i think) or other.  But it definitely takes up way less room that the Whistler setup.

Also made me realize my starlight wafer has two dead led's :(.  (not the one below) I know he's replaced one for me already b/c it had a dead one out of the box, but I've had these for about a year now I guess and are likely not under warranty for that long.

itnnLLgl.jpg

Edited by 78Staff

22 hours ago, 78Staff said:

Mine arrived today, the cable is not as stiff as my Whistler setup so it's hard to get it in the right position, and when I do it's easy to bump out of the way - but I am going to play around with it.  But the core functions all work, linked it to an 8" Samsung Tablet.  There is the briefest delay for my setup - not sure if due to older tablet, android version (7.something i think) or other.  But it definitely takes up way less room that the Whistler setup.

Also made me realize my starlight wafer has two dead led's :(.  (not the one below) I know he's replaced one for me already b/c it had a dead one out of the box, but I've had these for about a year now I guess and are likely not under warranty for that long.

itnnLLgl.jpg

78:

Glad you got your unit in and it's working to your expectations.  I ended up mounting the smaller 5Mp camera in the same location as this one from my previous post:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/285855-video-reloading-9mm-on-my-rl1100/?do=findComment&comment=3208796

So far, it's not really been in the way as I can reach below it to pull brass to check powder levels on the scale, etc.  And if I do end up bumping it, it seems to return pretty much to the original set location.

I'm currently using the Starlight Lighting system, and it's got plenty of light for the press; I'm just not sold on the mounting brackets.  They work, but sometimes the large one in the rear doesn't want to stay put and it's definitely in the way for any MBF dropper die adjustments.  Next time I have the tool head off, I'm going to replace the retaining brackets with a dab of silicone adhesive.  I'll just have to purchase another wafer when I upgrade to another tool head..............

👍

9 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

78:

Glad you got your unit in and it's working to your expectations.  I ended up mounting the smaller 5Mp camera in the same location as this one from my previous post:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/285855-video-reloading-9mm-on-my-rl1100/?do=findComment&comment=3208796

So far, it's not really been in the way as I can reach below it to pull brass to check powder levels on the scale, etc.  And if I do end up bumping it, it seems to return pretty much to the original set location.

I'm currently using the Starlight Lighting system, and it's got plenty of light for the press; I'm just not sold on the mounting brackets.  They work, but sometimes the large one in the rear doesn't want to stay put and it's definitely in the way for any MBF dropper die adjustments.  Next time I have the tool head off, I'm going to replace the retaining brackets with a dab of silicone adhesive.  I'll just have to purchase another wafer when I upgrade to another tool head..............

👍

Re the Starlights, I agree that rear mount is suspect.  I have four Toolheads with them installed, and have actually lost one of the rear mounts,, so have a rubber band holding it up.  Also, I checked all four last night, and two of the four have bad LED's now.  I've emailed about any warranty, but they are over a year old so I suspect any warranty would likely be a year, at most.  They are still usable, but both have 2 led diodes or whatever they are called that are dead.  They still throw more light than other commonly available lights even with the dead diodes, but I will likely replace them at some point.  I may try the silicone adhesive as well, that seems like a good idea, and just dump the clips - thanks.

Edited by 78Staff

22 hours ago, 78Staff said:

Re the Starlights, I agree that rear mount is suspect.  I have four Toolheads with them installed, and have actually lost one of the rear mounts,, so have a rubber band holding it up.  Also, I checked all four last night, and two of the four have bad LED's now.  I've emailed about any warranty, but they are over a year old so I suspect any warranty would likely be a year, at most.  They are still usable, but both have 2 led diodes or whatever they are called that are dead.  They still throw more light than other commonly available lights even with the dead diodes, but I will likely replace them at some point.  I may try the silicone adhesive as well, that seems like a good idea, and just dump the clips - thanks.

Hey. good luck getting them to even acknowledge the email.  Had a snafu with one of mine and ask if it could be fixed.   Crickets   Totally ignored.  Was going to buy another, but with being ignored like that.  At least they could of said "no", but to be ignored like they were afraid I was going to demand a free replacement or something.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:23 PM, coanan said:

Hey. good luck getting them to even acknowledge the email.  Had a snafu with one of mine and ask if it could be fixed.   Crickets   Totally ignored.  Was going to buy another, but with being ignored like that.  At least they could of said "no", but to be ignored like they were afraid I was going to demand a free replacement or something.

Phil actually answered the next day.  The lights have a 2 year warranty.  Unfortunately mine are over 2 years old.  He did offer that they might be able to be fixed, I could ship them back and he would replace the diodes or whatever for a small fee and return shipping costs - which seems fair since they are almost 3 years old.  I'll send my two back, if they can't be fixed I will just order a few more. 

@HOGRIDER - I did ask about using silicone adhesive vs. the clips, and he said his commercial customers do it that way, just have go be sure to clean the toolhead surface of any oils, etc before applying the silicone - just need a few dots.  And it can always be removed later if needed by taking fishing line or similar and pulling between the toolhead and wafer.  So I am going try that on one of my toolheads and see how it does...  If it works out I will setup all of mine that way.

18 hours ago, 78Staff said:

Phil actually answered the next day.  The lights have a 2 year warranty.  Unfortunately mine are over 2 years old.  He did offer that they might be able to be fixed, I could ship them back and he would replace the diodes or whatever for a small fee and return shipping costs - which seems fair since they are almost 3 years old.  I'll send my two back, if they can't be fixed I will just order a few more. 

@HOGRIDER - I did ask about using silicone adhesive vs. the clips, and he said his commercial customers do it that way, just have go be sure to clean the toolhead surface of any oils, etc before applying the silicone - just need a few dots.  And it can always be removed later if needed by taking fishing line or similar and pulling between the toolhead and wafer.  So I am going try that on one of my toolheads and see how it does...  If it works out I will setup all of mine that way.

Thanks for the info!

👍👍

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, 78Staff said:

Heard back from Phill at Reloading Innovations, he was able to replace the LED's on the two Starlight wafers I sent back and is shipping them back to me - no charge.  Great Service from Reloading Innovations!

Thanks for the update!

👍

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
10 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Would you happen to have a link for the mount you used for the Tablet?

Hey @Boomstick303!  Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I got the idea for my tablet holder on the RL1100 from seeing this:

https://www.markvii-loading.com/tablet-holder-heavy-duty-multi-angle-clamp.html

As you can see, they mostly use RAM products which IMO are the best on the market!

Being familiar with the excellent quality of the RAM products, I ordered several pieces from either 

National Products Inc in the state of Washington

GPS City in Las Vegas, NV.

This setup offers a lot of options to suit your needs!

HTHs!

👍

2 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

HTHs!

Thanks for the info.  I will check it out.  I like the camera/monitor setup posted earlier today.  Much more flexible than the endoscope idea.  

A great spring project.  I can get rid of the mirrors and get one over the bullet drop station to verify powder.