Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How forgiving is a shadow 2 chamber with reloads?

BryceA

I'm toying with the idea of buying a Shadow 2 but got thinking about what to feed it. I reload and it's not uncommon to find a few rounds that won't pass the plunk test in my Glock or P10, yet I have yet to experience a malfunction at the range. So now I'm wondering if a Shadow 2 would be the same or maybe it has a more refined taste for ammo. While accepting that every individual chamber may be different, I'm interested in others experiences.

Mine has shot everything I have tried in bulk. I had one issue with factory reloads with not enough powder and the bullet was stuck in the chamber and very dangerous.

But everything chambered fine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The only time I could imagine a plunk fail is If the case was reloaded before and there's a bulge at the web.  Any firearm especially one with a ramped barrel with a supported chamber may not be very happy feeding bulged cases. Inspect your cases carefully before reloading them, toss bulged cases or find a small base sizer. 

I just recently bought a chamber checker for 9mm and 5.56 because I had some bad 5
56 rounds cause completely stuck rounds.

I chamber checked all my existing 9mm and there definitely is a difference in tolerance. Out of 5 boxes of pmc bronze, only one box fully passed the chamber check gauge. The rest were acceptable and could be used but to fully seat some assistance from the slide is needed.

It was interesting seeing the differences, I may actually change my budget brands even though they still function fine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Depends on the girth if the round. It’ll shoot anything 115 or truncated nose etc. it’s the 147 round nose that sometimes struggles. I use 147 rn blue bullets and I’ve had a few rounds bind it up. 

3 hours ago, BryceA said:

I'm toying with the idea of buying a Shadow 2 but got thinking about what to feed it. I reload and it's not uncommon to find a few rounds that won't pass the plunk test in my Glock or P10, yet I have yet to experience a malfunction at the range. So now I'm wondering if a Shadow 2 would be the same or maybe it has a more refined taste for ammo. While accepting that every individual chamber may be different, I'm interested in others experiences.

They're fine on reloads. They have loose chambers like a tanfoglio factory barrel so usually a slightly bulged case will slide right in. the new ones seem to have a longer tapered throat 

1 minute ago, Styro said:

They're fine on reloads. They have loose chambers like a tanfoglio factory barrel so usually a slightly bulged case will slide right in. the new ones seem to have a longer tapered throat 

Awesome, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I kind of assumed they were similar to the P10 barrels which are pretty forgiving but it isn't a gimme. I just recalled horror stories about fancy guns that would only eat premium factory ammo and didn't want to deal with that.

To be perfectly honest, mine seems to eat everything.  I reload, and some wouldn’t chamber in other guns, but fed and shot fine in my Shadow2.   Great gun.   It really shoots well with 124gr Bullets.   I’ve only tried 124 & 145gr so far.   

The Original CZ forums has some good info on reloading for CZ pistols. May be worth a look. 

Discussion of all ammunition used in our CZ firearms, whether factory or handload.

https://czfirearms.us/index.php?board=33.0

I had to ream my barrel to get it to reliably chamber my reloads with Acme 122 gr flat point bullets. I still have to load the rounds shorter than my other 9mm guns (Glock). The chamber did seem to accommodate all my range brass after resizing, but the throat was on the short side.

I was worried about this and would cull reloads that didn't pass the gauge test. I went to the range one day with a bunch and they all fired off with no issues. Then I started using the the barrel to test the reloads, most past. Then I started using an undersized die and a 50 count gauge. Again most pass, maybe 1 out of 100 don't go all the way into the gauge. If it's a local match, meh I just shoot them. Regional/state? they go in a separate box, to date I don't remember having one fail to chamber. 

It's worth mentioning that the OAL of the reload might come into issue more than the glock you've been shooting.

With the CZs shorter leade, I had to reduce the OAL slightly for my 9mm reloads to chamber in my Shadow 2.  I had the same situation with my .45acp reloads when I got my 97B.   I use a chamber gauge but when working up a round, I make sure it will plunk in the S2 or 97B.  If it does, the round will work in any of my other pistols.  Once the OAL is correct both pistols will run like a raped ape.

18 hours ago, ultimase said:

It's worth mentioning that the OAL of the reload might come into issue more than the glock you've been shooting.

I've heard that, though my P10 needs to be loaded short and the Gen5 Glocks seem to have gotten on board with the short-throat program so I'm probably not that far off from where it needs to be.