Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet puller

Just watched a video on the Frankford arsenal pile-driver. Mounts on the wall like a can crusher.

I have used collet (on press), hammer inertial, and a pliers type and would give this new one a try if I had to pull a bunch. Collet didn't work well at all and the pliers type crushes pistol bullets easily. Hammer takes forever.

Well, honestly,  you waited too long.  I'd find a friend near you to do them and give them half of the bullets!!  Otherwise, get a cheap single stage press and an RCBS bullet puller.  It's going to take A LONG time, no matter what puller you use. 

Wait until the off season which around here means winter. Gat a good hammer type puller and do a hundred or two every once in awhile.

Of all the options mentioned the hammer was the best.

Collet style pullers don't work with coated or lead bullets, inertia is the only way to pull those without ruining them. Some profiles of 9mm fmj's are tough to grab with a collet unless you totally distort the bullet and if you really want them pulled you need to pull them it takes inertia.  

4 hours ago, egd5 said:

Not questioning your knowledge or anything, but just curious. What is it about that many bullets that they have to be pulled? That's an awful lot.

Loaded that many during the off season on a Dillon 550,

I soon found out the powder bar was sticking. Not returning to pick up powder. Took it apart to find the powder funnel was cracked

where it pivots on the housing. Decided to keep loading but watching for it to stick. Thought I was doing good. Nope. First match I had three squibs.

Went home to try another box of bullets. Had two squibs out of 50 rds. Now I am not sure about every box of 200 I have loaded. Sent my funnel back to Dillon last week.

It is on the way back to me. No  charge.

Tried the weighing thing. Nope. To much variance in the brass. Up to 5 gr's difference in the same brass.

Lesson learned!!

Wow dude how much is your time worth, That is a huge understaking pulling ,kinetic 4000 rounds about a 400 dollar mistake, I feel bad for u.I'd chalk up as OBAM_ , pull em if your extremely bored

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, rancher5 said:

Wow dude how much is your time worth, That is a huge understaking pulling ,kinetic 4000 rounds about a 400 dollar mistake, I feel bad for u.I'd chalk up as OBAM_ , pull em if your extremely bored

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thinking the same thing!

I will see how bored I get this winter and decide then.

I just bought the RCBS collet bullet puller and am very happy with it.  I just remove the sizing/de-capping die and install the puller in that station.  I did have to "fix" then handle on the puller so that it would slide through the hole which allows it to screw into the tool head without hitting anything.  Just put it in a vice and gave the handle a few good whacks with a hammer.  It's press fit into the hole and once it come loose it will slide back and forth.  Not sure why they went to the trouble to press fit it off to one side, but it's an easy problem to solve.

Just watched a YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyxuxAgIRnY of the new Franklin Arsenal Pile Driver.  Pretty cool but I think it would be slower than the RCBS/collet puller.  Loading and unloading the puller looks like it takes more time than the RCBS but it is an impact puller so no potential damage to the bullet, although I haven't had any damage to plated X-Treme bullets with the RCBS.  Haven't tried it with coated bullets yet.

34 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

I just bought the RCBS collet bullet puller and am very happy with it.  I just remove the sizing/de-capping die and install the puller in that station.  I did have to "fix" then handle on the puller so that it would slide through the hole which allows it to screw into the tool head without hitting anything.  Just put it in a vice and gave the handle a few good whacks with a hammer.  It's press fit into the hole and once it come loose it will slide back and forth.  Not sure why they went to the trouble to press fit it off to one side, but it's an easy problem to solve.

Just watched a YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyxuxAgIRnY of the new Franklin Arsenal Pile Driver.  Pretty cool but I think it would be slower than the RCBS/collet puller.  Loading and unloading the puller looks like it takes more time than the RCBS but it is an impact puller so no potential damage to the bullet, although I haven't had any damage to plated X-Treme bullets with the RCBS.  Haven't tried it with coated bullets yet.

I'm very happy with mine and it's a must if you have an RF-100...unfortunately.

6 hours ago, mvmojo said:

Please let me know how it works with coated bullets.